All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Play boustrophedonically

old git

Tremendous Bore
Invented a new form of music or possibly rediscovered it.

Only one rule, no palindromic lines.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Well done SD and Kev, feel out-smarted.

Must admit "C Jam Blues" and "One Note Samba" could not be rated successful but now.............."Messiah".

Sweet Dreamer

Close, very close
ragic on tub
Yes, what I did was
[FONT=&quot]nodehportouob esrever
and even flipped upside
enil retho yreve no nwod
and flipped vertically too

(you also need to read my original graphic from the bottom up)
~~~~

Serious question tho?

How in the world would this be applied to music?

Just curious. ;}
[/FONT]

old git

Tremendous Bore
Read top line of music left to right and the next line right to left and, if you really want to, invert. Next line left to right and so on ad infinitum and it will feel like it. Similar to, was it "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" along with other tracks that were supposed to have hidden messages when played backwards? Here is your chance to find out what the composers really said. After that, try transcribing the solos of the great jazzers.

That's more than a lifetime's work, so good luck. ;}

Sweet Dreamer

Read top line of music left to right and the next line right to left and, if you really want to, invert. Next line left to right and so on ad infinitum and it will feel like it. Similar to, was it "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" along with other tracks that were supposed to have hidden messages when played backwards? Here is your chance to find out what the composers really said. After that, try transcribing the solos of the great jazzers.

That's more than a lifetime's work, so good luck. ;}
Oh boy do I feel stupid. I wasn't even thinking in terms of "reading music", I was just thinking of it in terms of playing, like improv. Then I was wondering what it would mean to play a line 'backwards'. The only thing I could think of would be to suck in on the mouthpiece instead of blowing. :)))

Or maybe playing backwards in time which would really be a feat. :mrcool

Ok, now that I've realized the reality of the situation, I actually sat here and tried it. It's pretty cool. Playing music backwards can give you a lot of ideas for new melodies. ;}

Also writing the music out with each phrase on a new line could help a lot too if a person was going to get serious about this. Typically sheet music is just written out to fit a page with each staff line being equal in length. That doesn't loan itself to being broken up into one phrase per row.

So trying to play boustrophedonically that way can change for a given song depending on who wrote the score and where they physically started a new line on a page.

In other words you wouldn't be playing phrases boustrophedonically, but instead you'd be playing aribtrary printed lines of music boustrophedonically. That could still be interesting as well.

Now that I fully understand what you're talking about I just had a great idea!

A person could take some well known songs or music, and actually write them out boustrophedonically based on meaningful phrases instead of just reversing every other physical line of the score which would break phrases up boustrophedonically in the middle of a phrase.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that my sheet music program will flip any selection of notes horizontally.

Let me go check.

Yep. It does this with a "Mirror Tool". So you could just select every other phrase and swap it boustrophedonically with a single click of the mouse.

The only time you would run into a palindrome would be when you have a phrase that is repeated precisely.

Now you have me sitting here playing my music lessons backwards. :)))

Actually I've read about mirroring phrases when writing musical melodies before. That's probably a common tool that composers use and thus the reason for a "Mirror Tool" in a sheet music program.

In fact, the "Mirror Tool" allows the flipping of a phrase on it's head. It doesn't actually turn the notes upside down, it just turns the melodic phrase upside down.

So it can do both; vertical mirroring (i.e. boustrophedonically), or horizontal mirroring (i.e. flipping it upside down), you need to chose which note you want to mirror around, in the following example I chose middle C.

Like so:

Mirror.jpg

~~~~

Ok, now I feel like I'm a slightly experienced boustrophedonicist. :)))

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
An now in limerick form:

There was an old git on the forum
nárhdob a ekil deyalp erew sexas s'ohW
His witty remarks
skral suoirafen dnA
Made up for his playing which bored 'em.

old git

Tremendous Bore
St. Helens has a good Rugby League team, I suppose the town might be allowed so have one un-adventorous citizen.;}

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom