support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Plastic reeds

I use them - in certain circumstances - specifically on training band practice nights. Not working locally I am often very tight for time. While the others arrive having had a warm up, reed all ready to go etc. I find it worth saving the few seconds wetting the reed in order to feel properly relaxed at the start.

Its an odd taste at first. Once used to plastic the reed may taste odd. Then you stop caring either way.

Don't notice any lack of performance - but note I said training band, can't claim to be good enough to identify more than really atrocious reeds. More subtle sound variations don't come into it.

No band member, band leader, or my teacher, has commented on any change in sound. I deduce that the variability in my playing is greater than any variability in reed. :(

Summary - fine for the purpose to which I put them. Others may have different views.

Someone said to me that the best cane reed normally sounds better than synthetic ones but they do vary in quality. The Fibracell and plastic reeds are not as good as the best cane reed but always perform to a similar level and are therefore more consistant. I don't know if this is correct nor can I recall yo told me this.

I have to say I had loads of issues with inconsistent alto reeds - sometimes only two good ones out of 10 - but have had no issues with tenor ones which are more in my experience very consistent in quality/playability.

Hi Mamos!

I have some barely used Bari* plastic reeds for Alto and Tenor (Soft) - you are welcome to give them a no-strings attached play if you would like; always worth finding out for yourself. PM me if you are interested, and I can pop them in the post to you.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Someone said to me that the best cane reed normally sounds better than synthetic ones but they do vary in quality. The Fibracell and plastic reeds are not as good as the best cane reed but always perform to a similar level and are therefore more consistant. I don't know if this is correct nor can I recall yo told me this.
sounds a sensible comment to me.....

I gave up buying cane reeds well over 9 years ago, and have been using Hahn Reeds (I think they are either carbon fibre or fiberglass) I bought it from a shop in Stuttgart (der Gute tone, spelling prob not correcto) and have been using them ever since. One lasted me 6.5 years, they are bullet proof, one even cut my cheek when the mouthpiece slipped out and swung and drew blood, all without damage to the reed. I find them clear bright, easy starters straight out of the box, no need to soak or treat with kid gloves, seem to handle hard playing conditions weather wise. I do clean it irregularly, just to keep the gunge off, it's amazing that it plays so clean with lots of chips in the end of it.

In short I like em, not having to buy by the box and alway running down to the shop in search of another cause my reed just died is a hastle I don't need.
Yes they are expensive (last one's were $17 US) but it literaly lasts for years, without problems, Iv'e mentioned these to other guys, some have changed over others not. I'm certainly pleased I found them!

Hi Mamos!

I have some barely used Bari* plastic reeds for Alto and Tenor (Soft) - you are welcome to give them a no-strings attached play if you would like; always worth finding out for yourself. PM me if you are interested, and I can pop them in the post to you.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Thanks Tom

I did PM you but looking in my sent box it says no messages sent so I don't know if you got it.

If not let me know and I will re send it

mamos

Had a go with the bari plastic reed and it was great

I did find it easier when just playing free and having a blow but when I had to concentrate on sight reading etc I found it harder and had to go back to cane but first impressions are good and I will keep at it

Thanks again tom

mamos

Hi
I am new to Fibracell reeds and my initial trials prooved unsatisfactory cos of wrong strength choice. Getting the right strength after made all the difference and although there is probably nothing like the quality sound of a cane reed, the plazzi ones serve there purpose for sure. If you can test first before buying you will save yourself some heartache and money too.

Fibracells, hahn and fiberreeds take alittle getting used to but they are consisitent. I use a fiberreed (carbon fibre) on my Berg hard rubber when I play with my soul band and boy do they pack a punch.

For certain situations as tony the tiger would say they're Grrrrrrreat.

A good point also made by visionari - they can last for years which means they can be a real cheap alternative although the initial outlay seems steep.

Hi
I am new to Fibracell reeds and my initial trials prooved unsatisfactory cos of wrong strength choice. Getting the right strength after made all the difference and although there is probably nothing like the quality sound of a cane reed, the plazzi ones serve there purpose for sure. If you can test first before buying you will save yourself some heartache and money too.
My experience with Fibracell reeds; the ones that work are very good. But unfortunately they are very inconsistent. I wish they would improve that; shouldn't be too difficult with a fully synthetic product?

I stopped using them, which is a pity, because I really liked the good ones. Another disadvantage; they don't last very long for me. At least not as long as I would expect from a synthetic reed.

hi there mr mamos
have just finished reading dave gellys biography of lester young ! and in the fifties lester was using plastic reeds. and he sounded real smooth ! anyhow in the 40 odd years since the qualities of the plastics used in making them must have improved quite dramatically ! in fact i have been experiencing problems with my beloved rico royals and myself was thinking of having a bash at the plastic reeds.
all the best
bernie

That's an interesting view Bernie, but my take is a bit different. To my ears - and some others - Pres' tone is harder and more gritty in the 50's than it was in his earlier days -even up to 1944. One reviewer I read (I am ashamed that I can't quote the reference despite a quick search) attributed this to his use of plastic reeds. Others though have said it was due to his worsening health and increasing alcoholism. Either way I don't think his tone was as good on eg the sides with, say, John Lewis, or Teddy Wilson in '56. Not that this actually detracts from them. In its way I think that All Of Me, from the Teddy Wilson session is one of his greatest tracks.

As to fibracells, I can only say that as an alto player I thought tenor would be a lot different, but playing OGs with the fibracell and RPC I found I could get a nice soft tone up to a harder loud one at first go. Very nice.

Cheers
YC
ps I must read Dave Gelly's Pres biog. Ta for the reminder. I bought/read Dougals Daniels' one and was, generally, disappointed.