support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Plastic reeds, where to start??

Vlad

Locality
S/E UK
I've never actually tried a plastic reed despite being an old geezer.... what do you think about them, & what would folk recommend as a starting point, to have an experimental go at this plastic reed malarkey ?
any thoughts most welcome
( alto and or tenor )

Be a bit brittle..ouch ( already had a colleague bash me on the hand with a sledge hammer today..)

( already had a colleague bash me on the hand with a sledge hammer today..)

and what did you do to upset him/her ;)

If you search there are a few old threads around different synthetic reeds one here

Jx

The silly bugger wasn't paying attention, I will be hammer man next time & he can hold the pole...( wooden not Polish citizen I hasten to add )
thinking back... the ba$$tard slashed my hand with a Stanley knife a couple of years back too...
I'll peruse plas reed link anyway..

I would recommend a Legere Signature. In the interest of full disclosure I have to say I am a Legere endorser though. I didn't other Legeres, or any other synthetic reed as much.

Sounds like a plan to grab an example of a few different types and try em ! I noticed a few others mentioned the above Legere sig, also Firbracell was popular , so will give both those a whirl, I assume they kind of just come in ..soft..med or hard type of thing ?
I guess you can also tinker with them with sandpaper etc ..

I find with Legere I need a lower number than with other reeds. Altering them is not so easy.

getting them the same strength as the equivalent cane reed can be tricky, there are reed strength comparison charts and if in doubt, err on the soft side -
http://www.legere.com/ourreeds/strength-charts
STRENGTH CHART
Saxophon-Service / Saxophon- & Klarinetten -Gurte

I don't think Fibracell or Legere recommend trying to sand or clip their reeds - check their websites for details
Reeds Direct and Hpwarths are probably the cheapest for synthetic reeds in the UK

I've tried most of the synthetic reeds available and I don't think any of them are the same as cane reeds, but that doesn't mean they're not as good, just different...

Last edited by a moderator:
Be a bit brittle..ouch ( already had a colleague bash me on the hand with a sledge hammer today..)
I assume it wasn't your own fault.
When holding the pole did you say 'When I wave my hand hit it'?

Not my fault old Puss Cat...this is what happens when you use conscripted labour......at least I didn't say.. "when I nod me head, hit it "

Check. Some of the synthetics, like Legere, can be exchanged if the strength doesn't suit you. But if you start sanding...

Legeres are good, although i use studio rather than signature, i also use a cordier reed trimmer with these and find it works very well. Fibracell have gone down hill of late and i have had them last as little as only a couple of weeks, also the reed trimmer wont cut the Fibracell material.

I like the Leger signature and find them very consistent. I also like the Forestone, both black bamboo and normal. I have recently reverted to cane reeds and tried some Leuthner Jazz which I'm enjoying very much (thanks @aldevis)

Fibracells and Legere Signatures for me,been on Fibracells for alto for 10 years,but prefer Legere's on tenor,Fibracells and cane for sop.

Tried most of the others Fiberreeds Carbon Classics are ok,recently tried their new hemp reed,it was awful sounded like a kazoo and the the Forestone Black bamboo was ok but not as good as Fibracell for me.

Well I'll certainly give those top 2 a try, I checked out the reeds direct site and that's no doubt the way to go.... thanks for sharing your experiences !

I would recommend a Legere Signature. In the interest of full disclosure I have to say I am a Legere endorser though. I didn't other Legeres, or any other synthetic reed as much.

So would I and I might add I am not a Legere endorser, I might also add their customer service is exemplary.

I use the Legere Signature series even though they are a little bright for my taste. The main benefit to me is I can just pick up my sax an play it anytime I want without waiting for the reed to be ready.

I think it depends on the style of music one is playing. I could possibly use a synthetic if I were playing with a rock and roll band on tenor, but I have never found one that can match the tone quality of cane when playing classical or "legit" style music.

Rock and roll is the most "Legit" music out there for Tenor !!!!!!!!