All profit supporting   special needs music

M/Pieces - Ligs Pillinger Mouthpieces

majordennis

Locality
Gone West
Perusing a well known saxophone forum a while ago I saw a Pillinger NYT at what seemed to be a very reasonable price, it was a T8P (115) which had been refaced to 110. Having been comfortable on my Saxscape 102 I was a bit doubtful that I would be OK on it, but having read about the PPT's being easy blowers I thought I would give it a go.

Based on the 50's Links this really works for me, beautifully crafted and and the intonation on my old tenors is really good, really looking forward to finding out just what this mouthpiece can do.

Anyone else tried these?

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
I have a tenor NYTHB wot I like the sound of (from?)

Also a bari Pillinger, but bari is a new instrument to me so I can't say if the mouthpiece is right for me

Also tenor PPT that's partly Pillinger and it's good at penetrating other noises such as an amplified covers band

I like Pillinger because it's UK, because others have recommended here including Aldevis and his in-tune soprano F#3 at ppp and because of the time taken by Dr P and his wife Sue to make sure you get the mouthpiece you want

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
I've got Pillinger pieces on all my horns from 'nino down to bass, incluyding C soprano but not my C melody. Ed Pillinger makes great pieces and is very interesting to talk to. Most of my Pillinger pieces are made of his Bronzite material which looks quite cool and is a bit denser than the Synthetic Hard Rubber (SHR) he also uses.

On tenor I have an NY40 which is the older (1940s) style version of a hard rubber Link. Its sound is nice and rich, but maybe just a bit soft for most of the playing I do.

Rhys

PaulM

Locality
West Berks
I play a hard rubber NYT on my tenor, albeit with a smaller tip opening than the one you're looking at. I very much like the smooth tone I can easily produce with it.

The NYT has saved me money too - 'cos every time I've tried other mouthpieces I find myself handing them back and returning to the NYT. I've given up trying mouthpieces now. There's little point when what I have suits me and the music I like to play so well.

majordennis

Locality
Gone West
The NYT has saved me money too - 'cos every time I've tried other mouthpieces I find myself handing them back and returning to the NYT. I've given up trying mouthpieces now. There's little point when what I have suits me and the music I like to play so well.

Hope that works for me, I can't resist trying different equipment, it's sometimes a relief to hand things back and say "I prefer what I'm using now".

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom