Tutorials

Pick Up The Pieces - Very Funky

AlanB

Pick Up The Pieces
That great 1974 funk tune by the Average White Band, also superbly covered by Candy Dulfer
Check out this amazing performance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76kd984x5bU
Wow! Play that funky music white girl......

Anyway I have found some great resources for this song for and Alto and Tenor, as Average White Band did it.
The score is on the official AWB website
http://www.averagewhiteband.com/_musos/musos.html
Also includes Bass/Chords and Drum Parts

The only thing is the great tenor solo by Molly Duncan is missing from the transcription, but I found it here
http://edu.zdenkoivanusic.com/transcr/sax/pick_solo_avb_bflat.pdf

There is also a very interesting article here that discusses how the song is constructed with some very educational ideas about putting together a wicked piece of funk music.
http://www.patrickdailly.f9.co.uk/PUPTEXT.htm

Hope you have a great time.
Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
AlanB

AlanB

If anyone else has some horn-section resources or arrangements to share that would be wonderful. Particularly in the funk/blues/soul/R&B kinda area.
Al

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
you cant wack abit of the funky stuff,Candy's a great spacey funk player and a hot dutch chick.

OP
AlanB

AlanB

N.B. One thing I have noticed in the main alto & Tenor score is that the accompanying part for the Alto & Tenor (while the other tenor is doing the solo) is wrong!

It should be corrected like so -

During the tenor solo, the tenor is on its own for the first 4 bars.
Then the alto& tenor provides some punctuation for the next 8 bars (this rhythm is wrong).
The alto starts by playing a double semiquaver G G (not a double quaver)
there is then 2 beats rest and B Bb double quaver on the last beat of the bar (not the first beat of the next bar)
The following double semiquaver (A A) then falls in the first beat of the next bar (not in the second beat as written)

More simply, each bar, in this 8 bar part, starts with a double semiquaver alternating GG then AA.

Cheers,
Alan

thehunt

Alan, fantastic, definitely going to give this one a go. I could'nt find the backing track that Rysonsax said was on jazzbacks?
Really enjoyed listening to this , and yeah Candy she's hot !!

rhysonsax

I could'nt find the backing track that Rysonsax said was on jazzbacks?
I find the Jazzbacks website a bit poorly organised - surely they could have done it better with a search function and/or an alphabetical list. Anyway, if you go to the saxophone pages and then to the second page of 10 tracks, there it is.

Backing Tracks for Saxophone - Play Along Jazz Backing Tracks

There's a sample you can listen to (that's the one with the guide track, you also get the plain backing track for your £4.99).
http://www.jazzbacks.com/media/free-samples/PickUpThePiecesMelDemo.mp3

Hope that helps.

Rhys

Last edited by a moderator:

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
By the way- the Phil Collins Bif Band version of this tune contains one of the best, most bonkers solos ever by James Carter...

daveysaxboy

By the way- the Phil Collins Bif Band version of this tune contains one of the best, most bonkers solos ever by James Carter...
I see your selling your Bronze Berg,what are getting to replace your berg Jule's,,new toy's ,ye ha

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
I see your selling your Bronze Berg,what are getting to replace your berg Jule's,,new toy's ,ye ha
Nothing gets past you....!!!!! I'm in a 3 way showdown (in my lunchtime work breaks) for 'main gigging piece'
PPT, Jody Jazz DV-NY & Steel Ponzol 2M. I've recently got really into long tone excercises with tuner- somehow, unexpectedly, it really put me off the Berg- most of it's great but the more I got into analysing it, it started to throw up a few weaknesses (tuning at extremes of volume at a couple of points). you know how it is- once there's that seed of doubt it won't go away....

daveysaxboy

Nothing gets past you....!!!!! I'm in a 3 way showdown (in my lunchtime work breaks) for 'main gigging piece'
PPT, Jody Jazz DV-NY & Steel Ponzol 2M. I've recently got really into long tone excercises with tuner- somehow, unexpectedly, it really put me off the Berg- most of it's great but the more I got into analysing it, it started to throw up a few weaknesses (tuning at extremes of volume at a couple of points). you know how it is- once there's that seed of doubt it won't go away....
Yes the dam seed's,have you heard the LAW BUZZER on THE TUNE funky funk on myspace page,happy with the overall buzzer sound,the next tune How sentimentle is the LCD,3RD IS THE MCB.

AlanU

Any ideas what the tenor is? All the bell pads on the left side. Is it a Conn?

It's all a bit showbizzy for me, but she plays well.
I'm wondering whether a trip to Vidal Sassoon and a touch more lip-gloss would work for me.
No, I didn't think so either.....

thomsax

Hard to say. I don't see the bellkeys and the keygard on the video ... but I think is a Conn. The brace on the neck is qiute thin. The left hand keys looks a Conn 10 M. But it can be a Buescher Aristrocrat, Martin Handcraft Imperial as well. They all had bellkeys on the left side and used a brace on the necks.

I like the song "Pick Up the Pieces" but on a big show like that I would add a trumpet and a barisax to the hornsection. In 3-piece hornsection I prefer a basstrombone instead of a tenortrombone.

Thomas

Top Bottom