support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Sax Pick out of these for my first sax?

Jack Bunyan

Hi guys im new to the forum so sorry if this is in the wrong thread
I am looking at these saxaopjones on gumtree and am interested in the sonata and the jupiter but could someone on here tell me which saxophone to go for and my buget is around £200 (which one out of the gumtree listing) i really like the sonata but cannot find antthing on the internet about them and was wondering if the caps etc looked okay from the pics and what i should look out for when i pick it up?

Sorry and here is the link i forgot and cant figure out how to edit posthttp://m.gumtree.com/search?distance=0.0&category=music-instruments&search_location=glasgow&q=Saxophone

Would go for a Jupiter purely because of the fact that I had one and their reputation is spot on. Also easy to sell on when you want to upgrade

Early Jupiters were less than ordinary, but they lifted their game and have been good for a long time now. The Sonata, who knows? Most likely Chinese, which is not necessarily bad, but without further information you would be advised to try before you buy.

Not heard that before about early Jupiters but certainly you should be trying these horns and taking advice from your teacher or music shop dealer

I'm impressed that you have Gumtree over there in the UK. I hope we in Oz are getting royalties for that.

Ha ha ha ha ha! How is the weather in Hobart at present? I was there many years ago, had a great time.

Warmish, and promises to be more so for the weekend. Hopefully I won't cook too much in my suit at the gig on Saturday night down south in the Dover RSL club.

Used to go to the RSL club just over the border into NSW and watch the Goldcoast Seagulls when Wally Lewis joined them from the Broncos! Drinking Powers beer! I was living on the Gold Coast and had a great time! So much of a good time I have a 24 year old son there!
Have a great gig and a Bundi and coke on me!

I`d go for the Jupiter also . they`re very good indeed - the early budget ones may not be as good as the current 567 but it was stil enough to wake Yamaha up, help kill of the USA budget sax market and it`d probably match or beat a Jericho - a current 567 is excellent and anything 7 or 9 series is Pro level regardless of age ....... the only Weak Jupiter is the one stamped 500 SERIES . as far as I know , they were made in Mainland China, the rest are Proper Taiwanese , even one of those will be better than a no name chinese ..

The Sonata is rumoured to be the same horn as the Conn-Selmer Prelude A700 , Chinese but pretty OK , I don`t know how much truth is in that but I`ve seen it mentioned a few times

Go for the Jupiter! Can you try it before you buy? Also what model is it?

On that link now there are two Jupiters - a "500 series" for £300 - Forget it, it`s the suspected Chinese one , bottom of the range anway and the 765 at £350 which is their equivalent of a Yamaha 475 and a bargain for £350 if it`s OK , a really good buy IMO ......

I`ve got the tenor version (787) and it has a deep thick Selmer MkVII like sound down the bottom end (Deeper and fuller than my YTS62) whilst retaining enough clarity and punch, the action is very good (up to Yam 475 level, though not as slick or refined as a 62 or a Yani) , intonation bang on and plays easily up to the top. it`s a light horn too .. I have no reason to suspect the Alto will be any worse .,

Thanks for the replies guys, I will not go for either of the jupiters, the 500 as you have said is a cheap china model and I simply cannot afford the other sax, any views on the buffett Evette or the beuscher aristocrat 200 ? Both are in my price range and look in good condition , any advice would be great

Hello Jack, welcome to the forum, have you played a sax before? If not I would suggest you could go to a music store and hire one for a month or so find a teacher and have a couple of lessons, buying a sax from a site when you don't know what to look for when you collect it could be risky, a poorly set up sax or just a poor sax could put you off from what can be an extremely rewarding experience. A little bit of research can save you a lot of pain.

You can buy a reasonable horn and get it set up within your budget, if you decide to take the lessons your teacher will probably be able to help and advise. Good luck!

Not heard that before about early Jupiters but certainly you should be trying these horns and taking advice from your teacher or music shop dealer

Jack - as I suggested previously and as "majordennis" has just said........get to the shop or get a teacher and get advice before spending!

I'd second (or third, even) that advice to get advice and try instruments before buying if possible.

If your budget is only £200 then one possibility is to gamble on ebay (and you need to know that unless the item was 'not as described' you may have no way to get your money back - there are comments on this on another thread) so 'try before buy is not an option here.

Another alternative is either a shop which has s/h instruments (which you can try before buying) or local private sellers.

Both Colin the Bear and I (and maybe other members, too) have gear4music saxes which we are pleased with, and they often have ex-demo instruments for £200 or less and new tenors were about £260 the last time I looked. They do a very good money back if not satisfied guarantee and have good terms and conditions of sale.

If you go for this (or any mail-order source) do have a good, knowledgeable and experienced saxophonist to check out the instrument - preferably as you unpack it.

Things can get damaged in transit whoever you buy from (another useful thread on this site!) and a witness (and photographs) is a big help. If it is not up to scratch (!) then you can take it up with the supplier. It isn't 'try before buy' but with a 'money back if not satisfied' guarantee it is the next best thing - but check out terms and conditions and satisfy yourself first.

Probably most saxophones ( including many top names) are nowadays made in China. If they can make computers and everything else... so check this out: http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Ultra_Cheap_horns.htm

Do bear in mind that when the instrument was made has a bearing on quality. Cheap instruments have improved amazingly and competition dictates that year on year improvement is the only way to stay ahead of the game. Read Stephen Howard - thoroughly.

It is possible to get a good playable horn with a good tone within your budget without taking risk - if you do your research and use common sense.

But I reiterate: either try before buy (with an experienced played doing the trying for you) or buy with from a reliable firm who do a no quibble money back or replacement guarantee - and get it checked by the experienced player as you unpack.

A good plan would be to find a local sax teacher, agree to have some lessons (even if a few just to start you off) and ask them to check out your instrument.

Last edited:
I'd second (or third, even) that advice to get advice and try instruments before buying if possible.

If your budget is only £200 then one possibility is to gamble on ebay (and you need to know that unless the item was 'not as described' you may have no way to get your money back - there are comments on this on another thread) so 'try before buy is not an option here.

Another alternative is either a shop which has s/h instruments (which you can try before buying) or local private sellers.

Both Colin the Bear and I (and maybe other members, too) have gear4music saxes which we are pleased with, and they often have ex-demo instruments for £200 or less and new tenors were about £260 the last time I looked. They do a very good money back if not satisfied guarantee and have good terms and conditions of sale.

If you go for this (or any mail-order source) do have a good, knowledgeable and experienced saxophonist to check out the instrument - preferably as you unpack it.

Things can get damaged in transit whoever you buy from (another useful thread on this site!) and a witness (and photographs) is a big help. If it is not up to scratch (!) then you can take it up with the supplier. It isn't 'try before buy' but it is 'money back if not satisfied' - but check out terms and conditions and satisfy yourself first.

Probably most saxophones ( including many top names) are nowadays made in China. If they can make computers and everything else... so check this out: http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Ultra_Cheap_horns.htm

Do bear in mind that when the instrument was made has a bearing on quality. Cheap instruments have improved amazingly and competition dictates that year on year improvement is the only way to stay ahead of the game. Read Stephen Howard - thoroughly.

It is possible to get a good playable horn with a good tone within your budget without taking risk if you do your research.

But I reiterate: either try before buy (with an experienced played doing the trying for you) or buy with from a reliable firm who do a no quibble money back or replacement guarantee - and get it checked by the experienced played as you unpack.

A good plan would be to find a local sax teacher, agree to have some lessons (even if a few just to start you off) and ask them to check out your instrument.

This is a great beginner's guide to buying a horn! Should be made a single sheet pdf and sent to all newcomers!

Back
Top Bottom