support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Physics 101

Hal the Elder

Account Closed
Locality
High Mojave Desert in Southern California
A Tug-'O'-War event is on the field, and the teams are perfectly matched, because the rope is not moving, although each team is exerting 337 pounds of pull.

What is the total tension in the rope?

HAL

I expect this is a trick question, but it sounds like 337 pounds to me. The tension in the rope is just enough to stop each team from falling over, same as if the other end were tied to a wall.

define tension - and where it's measured...

Edit - I see the same idea has occurred to altissimo

I'm still going for 337 pounds (force) in the region between the two teams.

I will not bother to define tension...the scenario is simple, and so is the answer.

HAL

Nice theoretical discussion there, Altissimo...but it appears you still don't know the answer!

HAL

Just give us your answer, Rhys...how much tension is in the rope?

We don't need Hawking or Feynman for this one...only plain Logic!

HOWL

Last edited by a moderator:
the question was tension, not net force. Net force is zero. But I must concede to BM. Had my brain inverted.

I agree with Big Martin as well.

674 at the centre. It would be 337 if attached to a wall.
The word "total" could be a bit misleading...

Actually, we could all edit our posts, after the correct answer is disclosed....

Mod!

I would say 337 because even though there are two teams exerting 337 each, one of the teams could be likened to tieing one end to a wall so there would only be 337

sorry just repeated BM's answer

Last edited by a moderator:
Another way to look at it:

Forget the rope for a moment. The teams exert a force of 337 on each other. What communicates this force? The tension in the rope.

I'm far to dim to even contemplate this, but the TENSION is killing me!

Back
Top Bottom