All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Photography and the golden wonder!

breathless

another of my older hobbies has been photography for many years so it seemed inevitable that I took some pics of the new arrival.
Im quite pleased with how some of them came out, so thought id share them with you.

I used to do a lot of wildlife photography and sold a number of pictures but never really got on with lanscape or topical subjects like items, and hate taking pictures of people.

please feel free to critique! comments welcome.

unfortunately I didnt take care of the 2nd reflections, hence why you can see the contents of my kitchen.

quite like this, can almost loose scale and it starts to seem like a large tunnel.

rgds Lee.

BUMNOTE

Nice pics of your sax...is the washing machine in your kitchen a Hotpoint!?:)))Bumnote.

jonf

Lovely sax. But then I would say that, given that I'm writing this while taking a break from playing my T992.

Chris98

I found the sax to be a very difficult thing to photograph and quickly gave up. Your shots look good, I like the perspective shots, but feel you need to be more decisive with the point of interest and ensure it's razor sharp. When I was having my sax fixed by Stephen Howard a few years back he was telling me how he used an old bath tub as an infinity curve background - well that's how I remember it anyway.

Best wishes,

Chris

breathless

Bumnote, close but no cigar, it's a Zanussi "appliance of science don't ya no!"

Jon, good man, they brim with quality don't they ?

Chris98, I'm assuming your a pro photographer? Don't think me rude, of course I'm open to crititisisum (I welcome it) however it needs to be quailified!
I don't claim to be a pro photographer and have no qualifications in the subject, I learnt a lot from my dad who taught photography at a collage.
I attempted to crate a blanket single colour background by placing the saxophone in front of my piano black gloss (sprayed by a car coachwork and backed in the oven) but that's another story, 6' marine fish aquarium.

I was nearly attempting to make use of what I had available without much thought.

But one thing I will disagree with is that I was decsive, this can be seen in every picture if you look for point of focus, as there is one in every shot!
This is something my father instilled Into me "boy, always decide on a point to focus on, it tells everyone that looks at your picture what you was looking at." he would go on to say something about they may not like it or agree with it, but they can always take there own damm picture!

Every time I roll that shutter release I think of that last bit, makes me laugh.

Rgds Lee.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris98

Hi Lee,

I'm not a professional photographer - as such I am not qualified to comment, advise, or in anyway pass criticism of your photographic work. I feel I may have given offense where none was intended, as such I retract my previous post.

To quote your first post:
please feel free to critique! comments welcome.
in future you may wish to amend that to say "qualified" or "professional persons" need only reply.

As an aside, many of us here are not professional musicians, and yet we offer what we hope is constructive criticism, support and encouragement to others. This can be taken on board or ignored, but in most cases it is offered in good spirit.

In the light of this being a public forum and you chose to post your photographic work with the offer 'please feel free to critique! comments welcome.' I did, a decision I now regret, as I said at the beginning, I am not a "professional photographer" and so please disregard my comments.

Best wishes,

Chris

breathless

Hi Lee,

I'm not a professional photographer - as such I am not qualified to comment, advise, or in anyway pass criticism of your photographic work. I feel I may have given offense where none was intended, as such I retract my previous post.

To quote your first post: in future you may wish to amend that to say "qualified" or "professional persons" need only reply.

As an aside, many of us here are not professional musicians, and yet we offer what we hope is constructive criticism, support and encouragement to others. This can be taken on board or ignored, but in most cases it is offered in good spirit.

In the light of this being a public forum and you chose to post your photographic work with the offer 'please feel free to critique! comments welcome.' I did, a decision I now regret, as I said at the beginning, I am not a "professional photographer" and so please disregard my comments.

Best wishes,

Chris
Hi Chris, now that makes me think I've caused you offense! Which wasn't Intended.
I do welcome criticism as that is the way in which we move forward, is it not?

I enjoy engaging in constructive conversastion and you certainly put forward several comments worthy of response, which is what I tried to do.
Please don't take my remarks as offensive, I certainly didn't take yours to be!
I simply intended to question your remarks and further to that I would engage you further (if you are willing) to endulge me and further describe your original comments as I'm always Intersted to hear what "viewers" percive from my pictures!

And further to your remarks regarding the open forum, I certainly couldn't agree more, I only picked up my first sax 3-4 months ago and the good folk on this here forum have helped me progress far quicker than had I not joined the forum.

So once again, please don't take offense none was caused! So I will exclude your comment to retract your previous comments,if I may.

Rgds Lee.

Jamesmac

Hi lee
i must say in my humble opinion anyway, I think Chris 98 has a point. You need to be clear what you wish too achieve when you photograph your sax. Let's face it the pics are, well not saying anything, and you asked for comments, and Chris was very polite in telling you that you should not give up the day job.
I will never understand why we think we are all things.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
So once again, please don't take offense none was caused! So I will exclude your comment to retract your previous comments,if I may.

Rgds Lee.
I sincerely love this country (UK).
Pictures are gorgeous anyway. Yanagisawa should buy them for advertisement purposes. Personally I like rusty horns, but this is another story.

breathless

Well it looks like I opened a can of worms here.

Neither did I intend to offend anyone with my words or my pictures but that seems to have happened.

And James, I'm not trying to be either, as stated I have no professional qualifications in photography and even less in playing the saxophone which I also openly declare.

Aldevis, thanks very much! Glad you like them.

Rgds Lee.

breathless

I've requested the thread be removed now to prevent any further misunderstandings.

Lesson learned, Ill stick to posting about learning to play sax.
Won't be posting any more photos that's for sure. LOL.

Rgds Lee.

Jamesmac

Hi leeI think it is worthwhile analysing the reaction to your pics and your reaction to those comments , and the sharpness of the image may be perfect in your originals , but not in the uploaded version.
You are passionate about you pics, and were expecting Chris to qualify his comments ie. pin sharp. But Chris was correct in his comments regarding the lack of sharpness.
You had photographed the sax and had in your own words selectively focused on a point and let the depth of field or lack of it produce a focal point of interest.
Great, which is what it is all about, well a few other things like the lighting.
Ie. shadow and highlight within the limited range of the digital medium.
With B/W film about 7 stops digital perhaps 2 stops.
But lighting apart, (ie reflective issues ) I think a lot of the sharpness was probably lost due to how we see the final image.
In other words your point of interest as you try to show is not sharp in the downloaded pics, but possibly your full resolution pics may be perfectly sharp.
when you see a billboard add, just think how sharp the original 4x4mm image is.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I'm not deleting this.

And I'm staying out. There are a few guys here who'd be much better qualified to comment than me. I also found saxes difficult to shoot and have confined myself to record shots.

But full points for posting and sharing. It's a lovely sax and you've brought out some nice details.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Nowt wrong that could not be improved by using a 10" x 8" monorail and a tent.

jthole

Well, let's have a go ;-) (all meant in a friendly way!)

#1 is nice. I like the contrast between the two saxes. However, the highlights seem a bit burnt, and it looks like you didn't use a reflection screen (I love those for distributing the light more evenly). I know that the background is less than ideal (like you said already), but in fact, it does not really disturb me.

In #2, I am not sure where you had intended the focus point to be. I would have used a smaller diaphragm probably in this picture, to get more of the sax in focus. I do like the line of sight in that picture; the way your eyes are drawn upwards.

#3 is nice! I like that one a lot :)

#4, #5 and #6 don't speak to me ... what is it that you wanted to tell with those pictures?

Congratulation on your new sax!

Edit: I am just reading the remainder of the thread (I had only looked at your pics). I am a bit surprised at the way the thread was going, since I am reading only friendly comments in here ... nothing like the flak you could expect on a real photography forum ;-)

Chris98

Hi Lee,

I think I grabbed the wrong end of the stick last night and over reacted... Sorry - note to self... don't post when tired and about to go to bed!

Here is a photo of mine, I can't remember why I took it but it is sort of an example of what I unsuccessfully said earlier. The depth of field is such that the whole thing isn't in focus, if you look, the tip and the ligature are slightly soft. The question then is, where is the focus point and why? In this case it is looks to be the inner side rail towards the ligature. As a whole this image is weakened because this point of focus isn't especially important or interesting, almost arbitrarily chosen. I should have either tired to extend the depth of field or better still reduced it and placed it bang on the tip.

Please don't be put off posting photos, or sound recordings, or anything like that, too many of us secretly hide away our talents. Photographing saxophones, glass, chrome, anything with too many surfaces all at different angles and all picking up reflections is quite a challenge unless in a studio.

All the best,

Chris

jthole

Here's my take on saxography ;-)

Shot on Kodak BW400CN (one of my favs, even if it's not a proper B/W film), scanned negative:

Jamesmac

A mouth piece i sold on ebay recently.
i wanted to show that there was no damage to the lay, and used side lighting, which seemed to work, as the machine marks can be seenon a chrome plated Runyon.
RUNYON 03.jpg

Clivey

5" x 4" monorail good enough?

Wow Wee Mrs. Some nice shots in such a short thread. Putting etiquette and politics to the side. I would like to suggest that a specific Sax photograph sub-forum would be a very nice resource here.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom