support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Phil-Tone and Theo Wanne "The Tribute" Tenor Mouthpiece

Benbrittonjazz

Hey everyone,

If you didn't hear Phil-Tone and Theo Wanne have recently combined forces to recreate the Florida era Otto Link. They did a nice job, and I've reviewed their work on my blog here: http://everythingsaxophone.blogspot.com/2013/07/phil-tone-and-theo-wanne-tribute-tenor.html

For anyone wanting a quick impression, the Tribute is a somewhat dark sounding piece with a warm complex tone and great playability.

Here is a sound clip of me playing the piece: http://www.benbrittonjazz.com/sounds/Solar on Philtone Tribute.mp3

Interesting review Ben. As always. i found the description very similar to the Jody Jazz DVNY on Jodys site. Have you compared the two of them. If so i would like to hear what you found.

Well, I played the DVNY a while ago. In fact I was on a different horn then. I really remember the DVNY really lacked edge or punch though. It's not a fair comparison however since I don't have the DVNY to just slap a reed on and try them side by side.

Well, I played the DVNY a while ago. In fact I was on a different horn then. I really remember the DVNY really lacked edge or punch though. It's not a fair comparison however since I don't have the DVNY to just slap a reed on and try them side by side.

Thanks Ben. I believe the DVNY was developed in mind with a darker less bright tone than the DV. I managed to get a DVNY off eBay for a good price, but it's an #8* which is a bit on the open side for me, and have since ordered a #7 also S/H from Music123. the link is with the #8* would you mind having a quick listen, and give me your opinion, as if this is typical of what you found with the DVNY. Being new to the tenor, I would appreciate your findings.
Jim

https://soundcloud.com/musicato/my-one-and-only-love?in=musicato/sets/jazz

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that sounds very similar to what I got out of it. If you are really new to the tenor you should get on a comfortable setup, then attack lots of tone exercises (long tones, overtones, etc.). I wouldn't worry about the details of the setup until you feel super settled. You do sound good on the piece and I'd be interested to hear the 7.

Yeah, that sounds very similar to what I got out of it. If you are really new to the tenor you should get on a comfortable setup, then attack lots of tone exercises (long tones, overtones, etc.). I wouldn't worry about the details of the setup until you feel super settled. You do sound good on the piece and I'd be interested to hear the 7.

Thanks Ben. Really appreciate your input. I have all my MPs from Ed Pillinger here in the Uk . Clarinet / Soprano and Alto. So when I got the Tenor about 2 months ago. I went to Ed for his NYT in HR . I felt comfortable with it after about 2 weeks, , but then the JJ came up on eBay. Eds MP is easy to play, but the JJ is more how I want go, sound wise. I think the control should improve with a #7 and as you say some tone work.
Thanks again for taking the time, and your advice.
Jim

The JJ DV NY is a overly dark and mellow mouthpiece. Darker than a regular STM Florida.

Thanks for that observation, but I was hoping to get a handle on the MP that Ben mentioned. Ie the Florida link, the originals go for mega bucks on eBay. As I have limited experience with Tenor MPs. I wanted to have a comparison.
Particularly as Ben talks about the varied qualities with the different STMs.

Ps. But considering they are designing a copy of that MP they would obviously take the best example they could find for their prototype. So all in all sounds like an exiting prospect.

Original vintage Links can be very different from one to each other, even if you compare piece from the same production and with the same tip opening: it can happen everything.
So it makes difficult to find the "definitive" vintage Link.

It's plenty of mouthpiece copied from a vintage Links or taht emulate those sounds. It can be tricky to find the correct one, for you.

Well...it sounds a bit like a duck to me. I don' t like it. Please don't get me wrong Ben I am not critisising your playing. I follow your site and you' re doing a great job, and your playing is a joy. Just for the record, I love my Phil Tone refaced Tone Edge. I also had an Equinox which I sold as I found it to be to harsh for my taste. The SaxScape Naima and Wanne Gaia HR clips on your site sounded great.

I was not keen on the sound clip either. I play a Phil-Tone Eclipse, Equinox and Isotope on Tenor, preferring the Eclipse for Link type sounds, but otherwise prefer the Isotope. I will shortly be trying the new Sapphire but not keen on the Tribute from what I've heard.
The thing I love most about Phil's mouthpiece is that a full bodied sound is virtually guaranteed, with a lively dynamic too!

Tall to Richard at South Wales Woodwind. I think you will find that no ducks were harmed in the making of this mouthpiece.

This mouthpiece has been blind tested against some of the best floridas out there...it was recently done again by the staff at Saxquest. Customers and staff most frequently preferred the Tribute. Thus far everyone who has actually played the piece has considered it to have completely succeeded in what it set out to do....to make the Florida link more accessible to the playing public.

I've faced hundreds of links. In the past the process of getting a good Florida link involved a lot of money and a significant gamble. First you have to find one. Then most of the time, if you want a more modern opening, you send it to someone such as my self and pay more money...then you hope it turns out to be a great piece. Let me tell you...some floridas are dogs and while they can be corrected they all don't sing.

Now you can walk into a shop or go to your mailbox and pull out a nice shiney mouthpiece that for practical purposes plays and sounds like an excellent vintage piece. No, it's not the price of a stock link but its competitive in today's market. It is precision made, hand faced and play tested.

Here is a different clip and review...again, clips are clips.

http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2013/06/phil-tone-theo-wanne-tribute-tenor-saxophone-mouthpiece/

Thanks
Phil

Well...it sounds a bit like a duck to me. I don' t like it. Please don't get me wrong Ben I am not critisising your playing. I follow your site and you' re doing a great job, and your playing is a joy. Just for the record, I love my Phil Tone refaced Tone Edge. I also had an Equinox which I sold as I found it to be to harsh for my taste. The SaxScape Naima and Wanne Gaia HR clips on your site sounded great.

Of course, Ben may have a certain skill in producing duck like sounds and may need to work on his technique. Perhaps he had accidentally bought some Flying Goose reeds................................................:shocked::w00t:;}

Have just bought a Tribute from Richard - incredible sound. For me it produces a darker, smooth, full-bodied sound which is very sensual and really hits the spot! Thanks to Phil and Theo for a superb piece.

So did you try it out at the shop as you weren't originally impressed with the sound (albeit via a sound clip)? I am very interested in these but a bit far away to be able to test one.

Have just bought a Tribute from Richard - incredible sound. For me it produces a darker, smooth, full-bodied sound which is very sensual and really hits the spot! Thanks to Phil and Theo for a superb piece.

So you bought it already! Looking forward to trying one myself.

So did you try it out at the shop as you weren't originally impressed with the sound (albeit via a sound clip)? I am very interested in these but a bit far away to be able to test one.

Richard lives 5 miles away but is often nearby - he was visiting someone who lives just around the corner so was able to drop it off
earlier today. On Monday I was trying two Drake mouthpieces - he was again just passing and was able to drop them off!
The sound clip sounded dreadful to my ears but my playing is something else - not duck like whatsoever, despite the very wet weather!

Back
Top Bottom