All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Phil Collins calls it a day

rudjarl

Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM
Phil Collins is retiring

Sad, but in many ways a happier ending of a musical career than many of the other greats we have heard of lately.

Last edited by a moderator:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Phil Collins is retiring according to his homepage.

Sad, but in many ways a happier ending of a musical career than many of the other greats we have heard of lately.
The only thing wrong with your post, Mr. Norwegian CaSLM Ambassador, is the word "sad".

rudjarl

Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM
The only thing wrong with your post, Mr. Norwegian CaSLM Ambassador, is the word "sad".
Due to the fact that Nordic people, and Norwegians in particular, are slightly less sophisticated (apparently) than proper Brits, the word sad stands. Tremendous though the High Council of the CaSLM might be, I feel that marking the end of Phil Collins career as 'not sad' is a neglect of all the memorable moments he has given us. (Sadly, none of which I'm able to mention at the moment.) :)))

trimmy

One day i will...
I thought Phil Collins was ok, some good tunes over the years imo, you can't deny his past as a good singer/songwriter/drummer but a "Great" is a bit too far, just my opnion.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
My favourite Phil Collins track (and there aren't many I like) is 'I wish it would rain' with Eric Clapton on lead guitar...

Collins is a good musician, but not really my style. Saw him once about 15 years ago, he had an amazing horn section, and a second drummer who was as good (better?) than him. Concert left me cold, though.

VirusKiller

Saw Genesis live once. Left me cold. Seen PC and Genesis loads on TV. Left me cold. A lot of excellent studio material though (IMO).

Young Col

Etiquette, OG. Ambassadors are not "Mr", they are either Your Excellency or Sir.

As to Phil Collins, quite a good drummer and average singer. Some not bad songs. Didn't do justice to Groovy Kind of Love, but then neither did anyone from Dianne and Annita, the Mindbenders or anyone else who covered it do justice to Clementi's beautifully simple melody.
YC

half diminished

Unfortunately Genesis became a Phil Collins tribute band after Gabriel left. Average drummer, few nicely written songs, irritating bloke that won't be missed in this house at any rate.

TomMapfumo

When I saw him on Jools Holland's "Later" I thought that his voice had gone (just like Marianne Faithful, Neil Diamond and others) so I'm not surprised. After Gabriel left Genesis was no longer the same, though I did like some of his later stuff - "Roof is Leaking" - but too MOR overall

Tom

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
I can't imagine why Phil Collins attracts so much bad feeling, even on this forum,he has always been a great favourite of mine and when we go touring in the old jallopy his cd's are a must take and great listening. Why does everyone want to knock him?...john

TomMapfumo

Cos he is Phil Collins and seriously uncool..............:shocked::w00t:;}

Next question...................

Love
Tom

I remember asking my wife (3 years my junior) who it was that was performing the music she had just put on the cassette deck. "Genesis", she replied. "No it is not", I proclaimed. She showed me the cassette box. I was confused.......:shocked:;}

Young Col

Agree about the voices. Marianne Faithfull never had a singing voice though - and less of one still when I saw her with Jools Holland a few years ago. Pity about Neil Diamond though.

YC

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I can't imagine why Phil Collins attracts so much bad feeling, even on this forum,he has always been a great favourite of mine and when we go touring in the old jallopy his cd's are a must take and great listening. Why does everyone want to knock him?...john
For me it's not music, just noise, sorry but my point of view. I don't care about cool or not (sorry Tom), just what turns me on - or off in his case.

TomMapfumo

Are there any other musicians that you think should retire before it's too late........................?

Rock Lobster

I loved early Genesis and when Gabriel left whoever came next was a sitting duck. I saw his last solo tour "in the round" when he came to Geordie Land and although i went because my wife wanted to go, the band were sensational and he was ok too. He was clever enough to have a light show beyond belief which complimented the show rather than being the show.

How about this though but, on the last Genesis tour the band hadn't played live for 14 years and over 200,000 people turned up to see them in Roma. Quite a legacy. Or is it? Over to you guys.

dooce

I can't imagine why Phil Collins attracts so much bad feeling, even on this forum,he has always been a great favourite of mine
Well, he's never been a great favourite of mine but I am surprised that a forum made up of people who are, or profess to be, musicians can barely bring themselves to even grudgingly acknowledge that, like his commercial records or not, he is at least a very accomplished and successful one who has also brought a lot of work for other musicians, not least sax players.

Personally, I wish him the best and I am sure he will not spend his retirement fretting over whether he was ever cool or not.

Sunray

Spot on ...

Well said mate ... :thankyou:

PS - I don't really like or dislike him or his music ...

But I certainly acknowledge his success and with it the joy that many others gain from it ...

Cor ... I'm starvin ... (())

teebones

Subscriber
Are there any other musicians that you think should retire before it's too late........................?
Probably every one off us on the forum (sorry Tom just kidding) :w00t::)))

The difference he made lots of money at it >:)

Tony (retired old git and ex dj) :mrcool

old git

Tremendous Bore
Well, he's never been a great favourite of mine but I am surprised that a forum made up of people who are, or profess to be, musicians
Not me, Squire. I play at playing the saxophone, flute, guitar, banjo, keyboard, melodeon and EWI.

As for Mr. Collins financial success, no argument but does that mean we all have to like his style and products? You write that you don't. One man's meat is another man's poison but enough of the cliches, the original remarks were, no doubt, intended to be humorous.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom