support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Petite Fleur. soprano sax. Wide vibrato

BeBopSop

Locality
worcester england
[h=1]Hi all, after reading some posts, re Earl Bostic, it made me think of some more 'wide vibrato' players (I can only think of Earl and Sidney) I thought it would be interesting for some of us on the forum to submit soundlips 'giving it some vibrato' here is my effort! After listening back to it I think it needed even more vibrato to sound like Sidney!

http://soundcloud.com/saxplayer/petite-fleur-with-vibrato[/h]

I thought your vibrato was appropriate for the (Latin) drive in the rhythm section. I think, and this is from memory, that Bechet's memory was perhaps wider but, more importantly, more relaxed. Yours was still better than I could do.

I remember reading something once where a person argued that Bechet's vibrato spanned around the pitch whilst Johnny Dodds' vibrato dipped below the pitch. It could have been the other way around. It was serious stuff and I'm embarassed to admit that I can't remember which was which.

Below is Bechet's version, seems slower than my backing track.I like the flowery bits in between the tune, where he cascades down the scale. I wonder if you play with a extreme vibrato, and you play above and below the pitch, that you always stay sounding in tune?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7x9ILhSYiI&ob=av2n

I have a different one of those recorded-in-Paris versions of Petite Fleur where Bechet introduces the number himself. It's at the same kind of tempo. A guitarist once told me he hated wide vibrato because it indicated the musician was not in control of his instrument! He clearly didn't understand the New Orleans vibrato tradition.

I think your vibrato would benefit if you were playing a bit more legato.

I thought I give it a go and found that it is not that easy at all. You think you are exaggerating the vibrato quite a bit, and yet it is hardly enough: Petite Fleur

I agree with you that it sounds more in tune. But that would be, as you said, because for brief moments in time you happen to glide by the appropriate pitch.

It was fun, although perhaps not to be repeated to soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to admit that even though I use a fair bit of vibrato I always thought that Bechet's was a bit excessive. Never-the-less I have always loved his phrasing, delivery and feeling. A real early master and great influence. He sang his soul through his horn, which I think is the best anyone can do.

There is something in this for BeBopSop to listen to and think about. Listen to how he phrases the melody. Everything is connected and just breaks with each phrase. In your rendition it's all very broken up and staccato without the melodic flow. This may be your thinking about each note rather than the flow of the melodic line. Your vibrato was certainly more moderate, but appropriate and the tone sounded good. Thanks for bringing this forward.

I think your vibrato would benefit if you were playing a bit more legato.

I thought I give it a go and found that it is not that easy at all. You think you are exaggerating the vibrato quite a bit, and yet it is hardly enough: Petite Fleur

I agree with you that it sounds more in tune. But that would be, as you said, because for brief moments in time you happen to glide by the appropriate pitch.

It was fun, although perhaps not to be repeated to soon.

Well done! And now your 'Earl Bostic' impersonation please,
ps I understand what you mean with the legato, I dont suppose it helps as I was reading alongside the backing track.
Your backing track sounded just like the original! How do you do that?
regards
John

Last edited by a moderator:
...Bechet's memory was perhaps wider but, more importantly, more relaxed.

Apparently Nick Wyver's memory is even wider and more relaxed than Sidney Bechet, or sho I've eard, hic....................;} I prefer a narrower and slightly tighter memory myself.........................

Apparently Nick Wyver's memory is even wider and more relaxed than Sidney Bechet, or sho I've eard, hic....................;} I prefer a narrower and slightly tighter memory myself.........................

Very good. I love these things. It's like someone else wrote it but there is my name at the top. I'm not sure how I like my memory. It's always been a bit of a problem for me. Ah well, lest we forget.

Back
Top Bottom