Tutorials

Peter Hammill's latest..

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
I know the great Peter Hammill had a strong fan base on this forum a while back (though that might just have been Bobby G and Jules Slater). Has anyone come across his latest CD- "Thin Air"? Brilliant album but, incredibly harrowing to listen to, concerning- as it does- entropy and the the fact everything ultimately disappears (people, emotions, the twin towers etc) . All that, delivered in his remarkably intense, tormented Jacque Brel-like voice(second only to reading Cormac McCarthy's novel, "The Road"- if anyone's done that!). poetic, musically inventive but deeply, deeply uneasy listening. Anyone else crossed paths with this remarkable album?

Moz

I know the great Peter Hammill had a strong fan base on this forum a while back (though that might just have been Bobby G and Jules Slater). Has anyone come across his latest CD- "Thin Air"? Brilliant album but, incredibly harrowing to listen to, concerning- as it does- entropy and the the fact everything ultimately disappears (people, emotions, the twin towers etc) . All that, delivered in his remarkably intense, tormented Jacque Brel-like voice(second only to reading Cormac McCarthy's novel, "The Road"- if anyone's done that!). poetic, musically inventive but deeply, deeply uneasy listening. Anyone else crossed paths with this remarkable album?
Showing my age now but is that the Peter Hamill of 'H to He, who am the only one' from the very early seventies?...

...three minutes later...

...don't bother to reply as I've just listened to modern music from him and it is indeed the same man...playing the same stuff, it appears, as he did in the seventies. Now here is an example of someone who hasn't really moved with the times.

Sorry but this is music from the seventies, the music I like but the lyrics are so passe -- only the method of doom has changed.

Martin

Last edited by a moderator:

chadders

Subscriber
Very strange ! I read your post yesterday and thought I must check out this album. I then met up in the evening with a mate I had'nt seen for a couple of weeks who told me I should listen to Peter Hammills new album, oh and by the way have I read Cormac McCarthy's novel, "The Road". From his description of "The Road" I dont think I have the staying power to read it, but as for Hammill, well thats another kettle of fish...

I got the album today, and being a fan of the early Hammill but not too enamoured with the later Hammill, I have to admit I quite like it. Bits of it are hooking into my brain. I have played the last track "The top of the world club" repeatedly today. And thats how I always found Hammill. Its not instantly accessible. but somewhere on an album there is a hook which slowly drags you into the whole album.

I'm looking forward to getting to know this album, and I have'nt felt like that about a Hammill album since "the Black Box"

Chad

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom