Tutorials

Perfection

Clivey

For years now I have worried about Perfection and if I hated it simply because I could not achieve it.
How do people really feel? Are we making excuses or are the flaws in Art what sets it aside from photorealism?
Will seeking it lead to madness and for this reason it should not be seeked to eagerly.
Not an issue for me anyway.

randulo

Playing saxophone 20 months - 2.3% of my life
Subscriber
I think you can reach perfection in art. It isn't in the execution, though, but in the fulfilment of the artist's "mission", which is to communicate something to one or more listeners. You can perfectly execute music and yet have it say little except how hard you worked practicing and how much facility you gained. On the other hand, a sloppy blues lick at the beginning of a song can communicate perfectly what you meant to say.

OP
Clivey

Clivey

I suppose I,m really referencing all these musical typos we can leave.especially on recording's, that often touch us and add the pathos, Birds stoned Body and Soul springs to mind.
My recent song writing and unplugged efforts on guitar and vox are also providing me with this.
I do suspect falling testosterone levels introduces hidden depths to us blokes as we age.

Pete Effamy

I saw Kirk Whalum talk recently of his solo on Whitney Houston’s I Will Always Love You - (do I mean this tune??) - and he referenced the massively sharp note in there.

Back in the day, I couldn’t believe it was left in. He said that much as it irked him, the rest of the solo was so perfect in note choices and feel that he couldn’t beat it, so the sharp note stayed. I get that.

Recording is such a different discipline than gigging. It can feel amazing live, and then you might hear a recording of the gig and hear it to be a touch ropey.

The best players are so good that they tend to deliver a level at about 50% of their ability - to get the job done. They’ll probably get it done in one take too. Whether they’re happy or consider it ‘perfection ‘ is another matter. Sometimes the producer will overrule too.

“2nd tier pros” might be able to deliver a similar solo, but they are at perhaps 90% of their ability and so it will likely take longer and the longer they take to ‘dial in’ they run the risk of getting tired and dropping off.

Each player will have their own definition of perfection and what they are happy to let go.

Pete Effamy

Actually, the put this into perspective, a LOT of stuff is “put on the grid” of Pro Tools and quantised. Even Big Band stuff. In fact, I know about several albums where the (Pop) engineer/producer has ruined the feel from the band by quantising it.
The Seawind Horns and other inhuman sections that recorded before quantise were super tight - though being a long term unit helps massively.

s.mundi

Perfection is a massive topic that is important on many levels and affects every section of our world.
Self-judgement and the expectation of perfection can work both sides of the self. It's the driving force to succeed, but it also hinders positive self-confidence. We teach children to balance both sides of that equation.
My testosterone levels have dropped and it is only one important aspect that affects the perspective of perfection. It can make us question many things about our self-existence.
Allow non-musicians to listen to your recordings and experience your live performances. The positive validation will assist with creating balance.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
For years now I have worried about Perfection and if I hated it simply because I could not achieve it.
How do people really feel? Are we making excuses or are the flaws in Art what sets it aside from photorealism?
Will seeking it lead to madness and for this reason it should not be seeked to eagerly.
Not an issue for me anyway.
...is that a tune ?

Pete Effamy

Allow non-musicians to listen to your recordings and experience your live performances.
I know what you’re saying, but for me it’s a bit like me signing off the new house rather than the building inspector.
I’ve had the “you’re the best sax player I’ve ever heard “ - they obviously need to get out more..

randulo

Subscriber
I like the bad translation of the French "Le meilleur saxo que je n'ai jamais entendu"

Which AI would translate "The best sax player I never heard."

s.mundi

I know what you’re saying, but for me it’s a bit like me signing off the new house rather than the building inspector.
I’ve had the “you’re the best sax player I’ve ever heard “ - they obviously need to get out more..

The perception of perfection is an important topic. I love all points of view.
Of course, it's always categorized on a level of perspective or urgency. Is playing the saxophone a prime source of income to support a family? Is playing the saxophone a hobby or a vessel for internal happiness? Is this surgery or a more non-invasive approach?
I put the cookies on the lower shelf, but everyone still reaches to get one.

scotsman

Would I personally want perfection??? NO WAY!!!.. That would means I had nowhere else to go and would be seriously BORING!!..

randulo

Subscriber
I thought it was a woman with studio pitch correction, but it's the guy who spent thousands for plastic surgery to look like his favorite K-Pop female lead singer. We should all be mad... in the British sense, crazy, after watching this.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
I remember when the connection between the words 'tranny' and 'music' meant the portable radio on which you listened to it.

Top Bottom