All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Perfect rice

jeremyjuicewah

Easy peasy every time.

Big pan of water, plenty of water, more than enough.
Salt if you like.
Bring to boil.
Put oven on at about 150.
Put measured rice in water.
Boil for ten minutes*
Butter a bowl.
Strain rice.
Put rice in bowl and put in oven for 5-10 minutes.

*10 minutes was how I started. Its whatever you like. I cook mostly basmati and I boil for 8 minutes. If you like it al dente a little less because it carries on cooking in the oven. I make a well in the rice in the bowl and spread it around the sides a bit, dries better.

You may need a little trial and error but rice cooked this way is fluffy and dry. Its very nearly foolproof.

Bye bye to boarding school gooey rice soup muck.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Fry onion,cumin seeds, cardomon seeds, cinnamon stick for a couple of minutes. Stick it in the old Argos rice cooker with twice the volume of water to rice and forget about it until you need it. Simples.
Sorry JJW but life's too short to mess with the grains.

BigMartin

My method (which requires less gas and less washing-up):

One parts rice to two of water (by volume, measured reasonably carefully). Chuck them in a pan which has a well-fitting lid with no steam hole. Bit of salt if you like. bring to the boil and stir once to prevent sticking. Put lid on and turn heat very low. Leave alone for about 14mins. If you're not in a hurry, let it stand for 2-3 mins with lid still on.

sushidushi

Mine's an espresso
If you're not in a hurry, let it stand for 2-3 mins with lid still on.
It's not a bad idea to put a tea towel between the saucepan and the lid whilst it's standing, to absorb any moisture that might otherwise condense on the lid and drop on to the rice. It will keep pretty hot for half an hour or so if the pan is of reasonable quality.

The amount of water used will vary according to the type of rice, of course. If I cook Japanese rice, I rinse it thoroughly, drain it, and use just a tiny bit more water by volume than rice.

And you thought this thread was dead... :)

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom