support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Pennies From Heaven [SG Transcription Challenge]

Where is the "transcription" and who did it ?

Or are we looking at someone who has learned Stan Getz's solo without writing it down (which is the "transcribing" bit) ?

Rhys

I see the use of the word “transcription” is a cause of confusion. I’m just rolling with what Bob Reynolds calls it - i’m neither going to debate it nor change my way of using it :)

And yes, i copied the solo by ear

Last edited:
I think learning the solo and being able to play it is great.

Having studied Latin for about ten years I know what transcribing means and wish that people would use the term in the correct way, but am not looking for an argument :)

Rhys

I think learning the solo and being able to play it is great.

Having studied Latin for about ten years I know what transcribing means and wish that people would use the term in the correct way, but am not looking for an argument :)

Rhys
What is the correct Latin way of using the word transcribing within a musical context?

What is the correct Latin way of using the word transcribing within a musical context?

Not sure I understand the question.

Transcribe just means "write down", so "transcribing a recorded solo" means writing it down. Therefore "making a transcription" without writing anything down is a contradiction.

Back to Stan Getz now ...

Rhys

Great job. Learning a solo in this fashion is so much more than just learning notes and rhythms. It involves mimicking style, phrasing, articulation, and tonal "effects" that are difficult, if not impossible, to accurately put into writing. If you like I could make you a BIAB play along track of this great old tune in this key and tempo. What other word would one use to describe learning a solo from a recording by ear without writing it down?

• Thanks | Helpful
Reactions: Caz
Great job. Learning a solo in this fashion is so much more than just learning notes and rhythms. It involves mimicking style, phrasing, articulation, and tonal "effects" that are difficult, if not impossible, to accurately put into writing. If you like I could make you a BIAB play along track of this great old tune in this key and tempo. What other word would one use to describe learning a solo from a recording by ear without writing it down?

Thx JBT - i could play this a thousand times more and still not be satisfied with what i was doing. These kinds of transcribtion is incredibly time consuming. A conservative estimate put this work around 20 - 30 hrs.
It’s not really about mapping out the notes or playing it in time (as you said) - But to practice all the small nuances, the “feel” and really try to lock into the groove with the band while trying not to screw up over the course of 5 minutes :)
I’m not going to pretend i know all the chords of the melody and how they interchange with each other - But i’m beginning to understand. The greatest thing i got from this excercise is how i’m beginning to listen to music - especially small licks and patterns make my radar go up and i’m beginning to recognize them in different contexts.

What other word would one use to describe learning a solo from a recording by ear without writing it down?
Jamming? ;)

Now that you've learned what Stan is doing why not have a go at being you and complimenting him.

Jamming? ;)

Now that you've learned what Stan is doing why not have a go at being you and complimenting him.

Down the path, eventually, maybe - I'm guessing it will take more than just one transcription to learn and own a bit of what his doing :)