support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Pencil marking rhythms

alto andy

Locality
Southend on sea
I have been told by some people not to do this but my teacher says it's fine as long as you start to recognise the patterns and can move on without having to do it forevermore :) what do you guys think about it I personally love using this system and it has helped me a great deal with my timing on lots of tunes and also I am starting to do it less as I advance with my playing . And on the same note also how many people say tri pl it for triplets :)

I say do what ever works for you and helps you progress :thumb:
Cheers I remember you saying it was ok :) congratulations on your grade 8 by the way you must be really pleased :) . When I get a bit further along we could have a jam together if you like . It's amazing really the more you count as you play you actually feel far more pleased with the performance then with dynamics added it really feels like your flying so basically I have given up on winging it :)

Does anyone know of any books that have the notes and the numbers underneath so I could fill in some of the bits on the more complicated tunes I'm learning :)

Can you tell us what this system is ?

Rhys

I was wondering as well.
You can say bi-cy-cle for triplets or other three sy-lla-ble words!

Sorry not really system or anything different really just taking the tune and writing under the notes the numbers that make up to 4 4 time or whatever time just something good for me as a learner for example 12 3 and 4 etc . Sorry if not very clear I have a few learning problems I do try my best :)

Also just to add to this and probably useful for other learners is something I picked up from youtube which was a saying tempo de learno which means playing really slow with the metranome and speeding up gradually as you progress tunes I thought I never would of been able to play I can now play quite well and with confidence :)

There is nothing wrong with indicating where the beat falls in a rhythmic passage. I have always just used a short vertical line instead of numbers.

The system I teach my students for triplets is: 1 la li, 2 la li, 3 la li, 4 la li (pronounced "lee"). I know it sounds a bit silly like "lollypop", but there is an advantage to using this system.

To go from triples to sextuplets one simply counts: 1 ta la ta li ta, 2 ta la ta li ta, 3 ta la ta li ta, 4 ta la ta li ta.

There's a whole thread on here about words used for triplets. Mine are mostly food based. Sausages.

I wouldn't bother penciling in the count under the music. If you're going to play the pencil marks and not the music it will slow you down in the long run. Try tapping out what's written before you play a piece. Two or three times through and you should be able to read it. It comes with practice. You'll get as good as you want to get.

There is nothing wrong with indicating where the beat falls in a rhythmic passage. I have always just used a short vertical line instead of numbers.

The system I teach my students for triplets is: 1 la li, 2 la li, 3 la li, 4 la li (pronounced "lee"). I know it sounds a bit silly like "lollypop", but there is an advantage to using this system.

To go from triples to sextuplets one simply counts: 1 ta la ta li ta, 2 ta la ta li ta, 3 ta la ta li ta, 4 ta la ta li ta.
Cheers for the info I will try your system I haven't tried sextuplets as they haven't come up in many tunes so far just so I don't get confused are they the same as 1e and a2 e :)

C
There's a whole thread on here about words used for triplets. Mine are mostly food based. Sausages.

I wouldn't bother penciling in the count under the music. If you're going to play the pencil marks and not the music it will slow you down in the long run. Try tapping out what's written before you play a piece. Two or three times through and you should be able to read it. It comes with practice. You'll get as good as you want to get.
cheers Colin I have been singing the tunes and I have had a go with clapping which I really struggled with but I am now getting :) . I will have to leave sausages as I don't get a chance to eat before practice ;)

This is what I have had to do this evening at rehearsal in an effort to keep with the stick...

Are you sure about strawberry for a triplet though?.... others mentioned above are fine though

When I starteed choral singing in my 30s, I would write the beats in my part in the tricky passages (usually where it's very contrapuntal or rhythmically complex, e.g. in this extract from Handel's Messiah
" from Handel's Messiah). These days I rarely need to do it.

Edit: can't believe I wrote "right" in lieu of 'write':blush:

Last edited:
This is what I have had to do this evening at rehearsal in an effort to keep with the stick...

Are you sure about strawberry for a triplet though?.... others mentioned above are fine though
It's on Greg lutz video on youtube he is an American jazz educator I'm sure most people on here have seen at least one of his videos on youtube I don't use this I use tri ple it I'm not sure if that is correct spelling for his name :) . I'm not to worried about the triplet thing just a side note to this thread really :)

Thinking of it he may have sed it on an other rhythm I will have a look and get back to you on that :)

I find it hard enough to read the notes, let alone timing marks. But just sitting down with the notes and working out the rhythm is very useful. Playing the rythm slowly, then speeding up is probably the best way forward, until it becomes instinctive. I think the real issue with writing the timings in is that there's a danger of becoming dependant on them in the same way that guitarists become dependant on charts, not notes. But I think doing it this way is a realyl good way of getting going, so long as you wean yourself off later.

This is what I find works for most of my students, we mark in the counts and then clap the rhythms while counting out loud, gradually stop counting out loud and join in singing to the claps, before you know it youre singing the music - at this point disregard the written counts and just watch the notation, keep singing it till its in your head and then transfer onto the Sax :thumb: oh and when you've got it - rub it out!

Right on Arty Lady. If you can say it, you can play it!