All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Paul Desmond addict

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Locality
manchester
I love Paul Desmond "WHO WOULDN'T" to me it's just fabulous playing with an incredible smoky tone.So today after listening on Spotify to a lot of his stuff I thought I would try to find his tone, so I went back to my mpc box and rooted out one of my early acquisition,a piece I always felt was a a bit flat and dull tone wise, the piece I question is an Otto Link Tone Edge 5* in hard rubber, I sorted out a new RJS 3M put it on with a Rovner Lig and tentatively blew into my lovely 62 non PRUPLE LOGO "that's not a mistake by the way as some will know".And there it was, might not be spot on but to my poor hearing any way very close indeed.
So the thing is I know he plays a lot of the standards,so you could say just get the books with them in but he plays them his way which is very different, and he also plays a lot of stuff that you wouldn't expect too.Now I know you can get a lot of stuff from SAX SOLO .COM,but I was wondering if any of you afficianado's out there can recommend any music books that are dedicated to him if there are any ....thanks .....John

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Locality
manchester
Thanks for that Rhys I will be looking into them ASAP,every time I delve into amazon I seem to get a Miriad of stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with what your after my search technique must be as rubbish as my playing ...thanks again ...John

flamingoer

Locality
london
I'd love to find transcriptions of some/any of his early stuff with Brubeck - before Joe Morello's time.

baritonesax

Locality
Twickenham
I love his playing too - in fact, he's responsible for me taking up the sax in the first place. That book of transcriptions is very fine - had it for a few years now.

I've met a few alto players who claim not to like Paul Desmond's playing. To be fair, opinions are highly subjective - but I happen to think that such people are ludicrous and insane.

The thing I love about his playing was that it didn't involve a single lick - it was just great melodic invention. At his best, he was at least as great as any of the other top altoists.

Bill

ellinas

Locality
Athens, Greece
Paul desmond's sound to my ears is not smoky. Its airy.
He's the alto cousin of stan getz.
Their almost subtone sound is wonderful.

There are many transcriptions out there, but if you want to catch that feeling, try an easy/intermediate tune. Black orpheus is perfect for that because take5 has the extra difficulty of being written in 5/4.

And its not the notes. its that sentimental feeling such players have. Try to memorize black orpheus and play it with him. After that take5 and other tunes will come a lot more natural.

Try it and tell me.

S.

• Agree
Reactions: Sue

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Locality
manchester
Thanks S

I while be giving Black Orpheus a try will let you know how it goes .....John

Jamesmac

Paul desmond's sound to my ears is not smoky. Its airy.
He's the alto cousin of stan getz.
Their almost subtone sound is wonderful.

There are many transcriptions out there, but if you want to catch that feeling, try an easy/intermediate tune. Black orpheus is perfect for that because take5 has the extra difficulty of being written in 5/4.

And its not the notes. its that sentimental feeling such players have. Try to memorize black orpheus and play it with him. After that take5 and other tunes will come a lot more natural.

Try it and tell me.

S.

I think Paul Desmond has a Plaintive/Noble sound, best achieved with a close tip and a hard reed. :)
PS. Similar to the tradition of the German School of Clarinet.

ellinas

Locality
Athens, Greece
Saxopedia is a small treasure. Search the trumpet transcriptions too! Lots of juice over there

Jobylou

Locality
Chipping Campden
I have been listening to Paul Desmond a lot lately too, I love his sound.
Off to dig my Otto Link mouthpiece out of my mouthpiece drawer and see what happens! :)

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I've just been watching 625 reruns on BBC4 and Dave Brubeck was there with Take 5 I hadn't noticed before but Paul is way back from the mic and still gets that airy sound as if he's close up. He seems to get an upper register sound to his lower register. Oh! got to go Woody Herman is playing Watermelon man.

ellinas

Locality
Athens, Greece
Gladsaxisme? Hows it going with black orpheus? Just played it and my wife appreciated the break of trying to play charlie parker's ornithology at speed ... :)_.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Locality
manchester
Gladsaxisme? Hows it going with black orpheus? Just played it and my wife appreciated the break of trying to play charlie parker's ornithology at speed ... :)_.

Sorry I haven't managed to get the dots for it yet will be trying saxopedia this afternoon with a bit of luck.....John

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom