All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Pathos

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
DeadAudiolink Removed

Had the wrong mouthpiece on, but it's 100% improvised and had no idea what the guitarist was going to play. Has been edited in Audacity but otherwise fairly raw.

Negative critiques welcome, especially if they give positive advice.

Mike

This is a beautiful piece, and what makes it intriguing is it was improvised!
A most appropriate title indeed!

Well done my friend...well done.....

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Your guitarist doesn't like making your job easy Wade:w00t:.. But, you do it very well:thumb:. Perhaps it's time to take this to the next level, and put a complete package together. Get your guitarist to create some intersting walking type bassslines to compliment your improv. Now I know you couldn't do that live, but it might be something you could try out. As it is it does sound a little thin at times. It wouldn't change the improv side of your music, it might make your guitarist work harder and that's never a bad thing>:) haha..

Chris..

See no bricks attached..

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Your guitarist doesn't like making your job easy Wade:w00t:.. But, you do it very well:thumb:. Perhaps it's time to take this to the next level, and put a complete package together. Get your guitarist to create some intersting walking type bassslines to compliment your improv. Now I know you couldn't do that live, but it might be something you could try out. As it is it does sound a little thin at times. It wouldn't change the improv side of your music, it might make your guitarist work harder and that's never a bad thing>:) haha..

Chris..

See no bricks attached..
Just use a loop pedal then the guitar can do the walking lines.Simples
Really like the chordal thing he is playing.Is this Pathos in Rhodes,if so i've been !!!! No brick but the vibrato is to intense for me.Its a great flowing piece.Another kind of enchanting dream like song.As you know i think you and your mate have a great bond and suit each others styles great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Thanks all for the listen and advice. Unfortunately I've seldom been able to get the guitarist to repeat much of anything I like and asking politely (yes I can actually do this...at times) gets me nowhere. He'd rather play cowboy, rock opera, and sitcom styles and repeats ditties in these styles most of the time. Such a shame as he can be so creative. The loop is used much of the time (but not on this one). When he uses the loop it's (unfortunately) so that he can play lead licks over the top, which just makes it muddier. I don't think it's ever occurred to him to then play a bass line after doing a loop. He has done this in reverse though and worked up a bass line as a loop of then puts the rest over the top, and "over the top" is usually the result. It's taken more than 10 years of playing together for him to start to get the notion that "less can be more" and that playing at a speed that's just beyond your capabilities isn't the best idea. 99% of the stuff we play together doesn't get played here as it's frankly an embarrassment. He's originally from Germany and grew up with Oom Pah bands and played in them (trumpet). This means he loves Mexican Mariachi music which he plays whenever possible plus those other stylistic atrocities.

I often wish that I could play the chord and rhythm parts, but just don't have the time in life and/or coordination and physical configuration to do this myself (left hand little finger is disfigured which is mostly OK for sax but makes guitar, piano etc. difficult).

I love the few gems that come from this guy and he's also a beautiful sprit to be around, but it's also very difficult as we are not well suited musically. I’m used to his styles, phrasing, and watch is hands continually in order to get clues as to what he’s up to, which is what makes it seem that we “mesh”. As embarrassing as it is I could record and post what we (normally) play at gigs and you'd get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Me and my duo mate have worked together in a lot of jazz group formats many years ago and the last ten years on and off doing the lounge standard duo thing for some time but really dropped that about 3 years back.My mate is very very free jazz,soundscape,dark jazz in thinking and composing.He's not a great lead player by a long shot but his skill is composing a song different things to it.Never really a normal AABA thing.Theres a great vibe at times with us as most times theres only a simple few words said what he wants,feels.No mention of keys etc,he starts i follow.We seem to be joined at the hip at times.I really hope we do spend more quility time this year together.As people we are like chalk and cheese.I'm the big mouth,in ya face,joker and street wise and he the very gentle,softly spoken kind person yet we are very close.I think some Ying and Yang is a good thing in music.Theres stuff he wants to do at times that i'm not that big on but in a duo you have to give and take or theres no duo.What yous do that i've heard is fantastic duo playing and vision.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Thanks Davy, but as nerarly everyone says there's potential, but it needs work. That's the problem and shame as I can't get the guitarist to go back to any of this and clean it up or record something that isn't so raw and crude. It's a frustration man as I ain't getting any younger in this race to see what falls apart first.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom