SYOS

Passed my Grade 2!!!

Nick Cook

I just heard from my teacher that I passed my ABRSM Jazz grade 2 with a merit!!! Woo-hoo!!!
:sax:
I've got no more details, but my next lesson is next Wednesday, so hopefully she'll have the marking sheet by then too!!

OP
Nick Cook

Nick Cook

Well done dude

How long did it take you to get to each grade?

It says in the book it should take a year for each grade

mamos
I did my grade 1 last June a year after starting. ABRSM have 3 exam sessions each year and I'm thinking about doing grade 3 in December, 2 sessions after this one.

half diminished

I did my grade 1 last June a year after starting. ABRSM have 3 exam sessions each year and I'm thinking about doing grade 3 in December, 2 sessions after this one.
Well done. I have the books/CDs up to grade 5 but have never thought to actually do the exams. I guess the biggest challenge is the improvisation?

OP
Nick Cook

Nick Cook

Well done. I have the books/CDs up to grade 5 but have never thought to actually do the exams. I guess the biggest challenge is the improvisation?
Yes - It takes a while before my teacher is happy with my improvisation in the pieces, but she is very good in helping me with it. The trouble is, I start to learn what I'm playing and she seems to be able to know that, so she makes me play different parts of the scale, in different places within the piece to encourage 'proper' improvisation.

Mamos

I have book one and I am thinking of working my way through the grades just as a way of gauging how I am doing

Do you have to take them in order or can you jump to grade two?

mamos

half diminished

Yes - It takes a while before my teacher is happy with my improvisation in the pieces, but she is very good in helping me with it. The trouble is, I start to learn what I'm playing and she seems to be able to know that, so she makes me play different parts of the scale, in different places within the piece to encourage 'proper' improvisation.
Which pieces did you play for your grade 2?

OP
Nick Cook

Nick Cook

I have book one and I am thinking of working my way through the grades just as a way of gauging how I am doing

Do you have to take them in order or can you jump to grade two?

mamos
No - you can jump in where you want. I think the only restriction is for grades above 5, you have to do grade 5 theory before you can do higher practical grades.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Although the Croydon and Sarf Lundun Massive Official Zimmer Retainer has congratulated you and I proffer my due felicitations, until we are in possession of a certified proof of your pass, we are prevented by the Croydon and Sarf Lundun Massive Constitution from official approval, innit.

OP
Nick Cook

Nick Cook

Although the Croydon and Sarf Lundun Massive Official Zimmer Retainer has congratulated you and I proffer my due felicitations, until we are in possession of a certified proof of your pass, we are prevented by the Croydon and Sarf Lundun Massive Constitution from official approval, innit.
Dang!!! I'll post again when I get it!! :w00t:

Mamos

Perhaps a recording of the the candidate playing one of the afore mentioned pieces would put your mind at rest

mamos

Top Bottom