All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Party Nibbles..............!

I thought it might be nice to have an open thread containing different Party Nibble recipes/combinations from Cafe Sax members, especially now that the nights are drawing in!

My contribution is:-

Glace Cherry, Cornichon and Frankfurter on a stick.

Get a tub of Glace Cherries, a Jar of Cornichons, a packet of Franfurters and some cocktail sticks. Grill the Frankfurters until slightly coloured & cut into 3cm long pieces.

On each cocktail stick place a glace cherry, the frankfurter piece and then a cornichon. Continue until all are used up.

Serve with your favourite drink!

I look forward to other suggestions........

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
I'm a big fan of party nibbles, I shall try those even though I've never knowingly come across a Cornichon.

Our stock nibble at family affairs is my sister in law's salsa and chips, recipe to be posted later.

I alos love peanuts and olives. Very boring I know, but if you get pitted olives and bung a peanut inside, it somehow makes the whole experience better than just an olive followed by a peanut. A case of the whole being more than the sum of the parts or whatever.

Also, see my other thread about stuffed dates. Though I tend to like them as a post dessert, they are also great as nibbles. The chilli idea may be too extreme for some people, but experiment with different types of cheeses. Pepper Boursin is a good thing to bung in your dates.

jonf

A pitted olive stuffed with a pickled chili is good, but what on earth is going on with this mixing mains and pudding? A glace cherry belongs on a cake, man, not a sausage!

Taz

Busking Oracle
Ritz cracker slapped with a dollop of garlic cream cheese, topped with a large slice of pickled gherkin and a green olive or two!
Delicious!

compound

Nacho's covered in salsa topped with plenty of grated chedar. Place under a hot grill until bubbling.Mind you don't burn your tongue.

jonf

Slice of chorizo, bit of cream cheese, a pickled chilli with a faint sprinkling of Maldon sea salt. Top with an olive and roll up. Yum. I know this sounds really poncy, and really not like me, but these are absolutely delicious with some chilled, bone dry sherry:blush:

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Slice of chorizo, bit of cream cheese, a pickled chilli with a faint sprinkling of Maldon sea salt. Top with an olive and roll up. Yum. I know this sounds really poncy, and really not like me, but these are absolutely delicious with some chilled, bone dry sherry:blush:
very spanish! Ole!

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Some of the things I hate are all the latest "designer" or "boutique" crisps and nibbles. Marmite flavoured nuts. Wasabi coated cassava chips. Jack Daniels and Gruyere flavored kettle chips. All crap.

c9off

Easy nibble straight from the store cupboard (larder?):

spoon of refried beans (tinned) onto a tortilla chip, add olive and grated cheese (of choice) on top, place under grill - surprisingly Moorish! best to do more than one....

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
I've just found some chinese broad beans (dry roasted) with hot spices in the Chinese supermarket in Leeds.
Really spicy but good. And Sue doesn't like them so more for me.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Another one we discovered, a combination of things that otherwise we don't really go for:

Pretzels and taramasolata.

I've never got on with pretzels normally, they remind me of posh, characterless American hotel bars with barmen that look at you as if they no you might tip less than 20%

Taramasolata is an odd fish. Delicious at first, but unless really good quality it doesn't take long for the taste to become a bit cloying in a fishy kind of way. Best when hand made by the mother of my old friend Michael Stavrinou, otherwise Waitrose Supreme (not Essential) is OK if you can find it.

Top Bottom