support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Parliamentary jazz awards for 2010

Young Col

I'll just quote from an email flyer that I received yesterday:

"Online voting is now open for the seventh Parliamentary Jazz Awards which will take place at the House of Commons Terrace Pavilion
on Tuesday 17 May 2011

Entries are open to everyone, and forms can be completed on-line from the Jazz Services website at www.jazzservices.org.uk . The final deadline for entries is Tuesday 1st March 2011.

The Parliamentary Jazz Awards is organised by the All Party Parliamentary Jazz Appreciation Group (APPJAG), and supported by PPL in conjunction with Jazz Services, Jazz UK, Jazzwise, and the Jazz Section of the Musicians’ Union.

This year the reach of the categories has been widened further and now encompass promoters, festivals, and jazz projects that have raised the standard of jazz education in the UK.

The nine categories for the Parliamentary Jazz Awards 2011 are:
Jazz Musician of the Year
Jazz Ensemble of the Year
Jazz Promoter of the Year (including venues and festivals)
Jazz Journalist of the Year
Jazz CD of the Year (released in 2010 by a UK band or musicians)
Jazz Broadcaster of the Year
Jazz Publication of the Year (including magazines, blogs, listings & books)
Jazz Education Award (to an educator or project for raising the standard of jazz education in the UK)
Services to Jazz Award (to a living person for their outstanding contribution to Jazz in the UK)"

So here's a chance if you think anyone in the jazz World should get some recognition. As I read it that nice Mr Thomas' site qualifies for the publication award, if anyone felt so inclined...
YC

So here's a chance if you think anyone in the jazz World should get some recognition. As I read it that nice Mr Thomas' site qualifies for the publication award, if anyone felt so inclined...
YC

Well, it would be very nice to get an award. There's a lot of jazz stuff on tamingthesaxophone.com, but it's still a saxophone site. Do you think it would qualify?

Well I think we can only try, Pete. There's a lot of jazz stuff even if not exclusively so. I've given my vote in that category to your homepage - petethomas.co.uk - as it links to Taming, Caff Sax and the like.
Come on guys, give it a go. If nothing else it will draw attention to the great charity work that goes on, but it would nice for Mr T to get an award!
YC

I'll just quote from an email flyer that I received yesterday:

"Online voting is now open for the seventh Parliamentary Jazz Awards which will take place at the House of Commons Terrace Pavilion
on Tuesday 17 May 2011

Entries are open to everyone, and forms can be completed on-line from the Jazz Services website at www.jazzservices.org.uk . The final deadline for entries is Tuesday 1st March 2011.

YC

I can't see any link to an entry form, am I missing something?

Well I think we can only try, Pete. There's a lot of jazz stuff even if not exclusively so. I've given my vote in that category to your homepage - petethomas.co.uk -

Yes, that might make most sense. It would be good if all the votes are for one site (rather than spread out over taming and cafe), and that is the "one site that rules them all".

Jadoube and others...
Sorry, it's a bit obscure. If you go to www.jazzservices.org.uk and click on the "more..." link in the headline story about the Parliamentary Jazz Awards, the full story then points you towards the "our services" part of their website. There is then an awards heading on the left that takes you straight to the voting form. Or if you're lucky this might get you there direct http://www.jazzservices.org.uk/OurServices/APPJAGAwards2010/tabid/204/Default.aspx
YC

Thanks, that direct ink does the job.

Jazz Publication of the Year (including magazines, blogs, listings & books) ...

Mine too ... Good luck Pete - "It's because your worth it" we all know you are ... ;}

A fine well balanced and informative site, with very fine sentiments and always so generous in helping those more needy than ourselves ... :welldone :thankyou:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jadoube and others...
Sorry, it's a bit obscure. If you go to www.jazzservices.org.uk and click on the "more..." link in the headline story about the Parliamentary Jazz Awards, the full story then points you towards the "our services" part of their website. There is then an awards heading on the left that takes you straight to the voting form. Or if you're lucky this might get you there direct http://www.jazzservices.org.uk/OurServices/APPJAGAwards2010/tabid/204/Default.aspx
YC

Direct link worked for me. Sumitted my vote for http://www.petethomas.co.uk/

Hope that doesn't mean that those of us who have voted have spoiled our votes. There's the trouble with democracy - one man (or woman), one vote.... unless of course you have another e-mail address.
YC

I don't know, Possibly not. I tried to get some info on how this works, it all seems to be a bit murky, but I from what I gleaned, they won't necessarily follow the connection of one site to another. Maybe it's like when taz had the video, just keep voting!

I'll try to get more info.

I tried to revote for the tamingthesaxophone site rather than the petethomas one which I'd already voted for, and I was told that I couldn't vote again as my vote had already been cast :(:(:(

So I guess my kids will have to vote instead;}

What this actually needs is a sustained campaign, apparently it's quite competitive so what would be useful if people contact whoever they can and get some "viral" marketing going. Get all your friends and relations to vote and spread the word.

Maybe one or two people here could volunteer to help coordinate that? Contact me if interested.