• Eligibility to post classifieds

The Yardsale is not intended for use by people joining the forum purely to sell an item, so members must have at least 40 posts to be eligible. However new members may post if they either:

• upgraded their account with an annual (not monthly) subscription. This is for access to sell without needing the 40 posts and the contribution after a successful sale still applies.
    • or pay the 5% contribution on the initial listing price up front (non refundable) then a listing will be allowed.

In either case please contact us if you are not yet able to posts

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Pan American Tenor

Royston

Price of Item
£400
Looking for an early 1930’s Eagle and Globe Pan American Tenor.
Currently playing a Conn 10M which is great but also looking for a darker sounding horn.

Currently playing a Conn 10M which is great but also looking for a darker sounding horn.
When you say 30's Eagle/Globe are you referring to same-side bellkey PanAms ?
Because, the thing is....the Pan Am body, neck, bell, bow specifications are the same as a 10M. Exactly the same (minus the RTH in some instances). Conn only rolled one body spec off their line which was used for the 6M/10M/PanAm/Director pre-'62.
So the horn will not differ in tonality from a 10M.

Because, the thing is....the Pan Am body, neck, bell, bow specifications are the same as a 10M. Exactly the same (minus the RTH in some instances). Conn only rolled one body spec off their line which was used for the 6M/10M/PanAm/Director pre-'62.
One bell key on left. See my avatar.

002C97B0-69CC-412C-868E-5876C5E0AE2C.jpeg
002C97B0-69CC-412C-868E-5876C5E0AE2C.jpeg
From what I have been told the early Pan American Tenor saxes we’re actually New Wonder but the rolled tone holes were imperfect so given over to apprentices and were reworked as Pan Ams?
Below pictured my 10M and @Vetinari’s 1932 Pan American. As you can clearly see the difference in the key positioning.

From what I have been told the early Pan American Tenor saxes we’re actually New Wonder but the rolled tone holes were imperfect so given over to apprentices and were reworked as Pan Ams?
Below pictured my 10M and @Vetinari’s 1932 Pan American. As you can clearly see the difference in the key positioning.
OK, gotcha...you see, it was in the '30's that they went from opp-bell to same-side bellkeys...i.e. the SAME time the Trannys and 10M's came about...which is why I asked in my initial post here (above) whether you were desiring splitbell or same-side.

Indeed, yes, just like the later Artist series horns....Conn really didn't roll multiple body designs off of their assembly line. So, you are correct...a splitbell PanAm IS a New Wonder, minus the RTH, minus the microtuners where they appear, and with pared-down keywork.

I would agree with you....the splitbells will sound a bit 'darker', I suppose....

Best of luck in your search.

Lotsa specifications changed between the Chus and the Artist horns....neck tube, bow, body tube. Likewise, then, lotsa specs changed between Pan Am Splitbells and PanAm Same-Sided.

Just curious...have you tried a PanAm or NW neck on your 10M ?

I believe they fit and intone each other well.

If you haven't, give it a shot just for kicks...

Lotsa specifications changed between the Chus and the Artist horns....neck tube, bow, body tube. Likewise, then, lotsa specs changed between Pan Am Splitbells and PanAm Same-Sided.

Just curious...have you tried a PanAm or NW neck on your 10M ?

I believe they fit and intone each other well.

If you haven't, give it a shot just for kicks...

Thanks for your input and will try swapping the neck and see if any noticeable difference.

I've gotta say: the shape of the neck on that split-bell tenor in Royston's picture
looks ALL-wrong for a Conn or Pan Am of 1930s/40s vintage. A replacement neck, I'd venture.

""And you have one for sale???""
I've got a Pan American soprano I gig with, and a 33 Conn NWII transitional tenor I gig with. ( fourth one I've owned )
So - - nope. Try eBay or the-saleroom, they're common enough.
I'll be surprised if a Pan Am tenor is "darker sounding" than your 10M, but beauty is in the ear of the beholder, as they say.

I've got a split bell key Pan Am tenor-it's a fabulous horn, and not for sale. I've had the sling ring moved (a common 10M mod), and altered both thumb rests-it's my favourite horn. I had some turning issues at first, which all resolved when I slapped a metal link on it. Good luck finding one-I think you'll be lucky to find one in your budget that doesn't need lots of work, but potentially they offer massive value for money.

I've got a split bell key Pan Am tenor-it's a fabulous horn, and not for sale. I've had the sling ring moved (a common 10M mod), and altered both thumb rests-it's my favourite horn. I had some turning issues at first, which all resolved when I slapped a metal link on it. Good luck finding one-I think you'll be lucky to find one in your budget that doesn't need lots of work, but potentially they offer massive value for money.

Cheers
I’ve actually traded my 10M and got a 1926 Conn New Wonder II that gives me that bit more depth and warmth of sound I was looking for so the search is now over.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom