All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

pad search

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
OK I want to buy some top quality pads with plastic resonator already fitted, thinking of Pisoni Pro or waterproof I believe these are the real top end pads and quite expensive.Looked at Windplus but they don't seem to supply them plastic res fitted,I've looked on an italian site Music center and they have a miriad of options available including every type of pad with the plastic res fitted but not sure about ordering from Italy.Looked on Windcraft but they seem to supply pads that I haven't heard of,I know you can go to black roo pads for real quality but I don't think these will suit the looks of the instrument which is a vintage silver alto.
If anybody can advise on uk suppliers or alternative pads that are as good as the pisoni's and available in the UK I would appreciate it..thanks .....john

griff136

IMHO black roos with seamless domed metal resonators loook great on silver saxes.

Firstly some advice, if you are ordering pads then get the pad cups measured as buying pads in sets, in my experience, is always more miss than hit as far as getting the right size on all the pads. Also you sometimes get a pad that has a resonator too large for the tonehole Bb (bis) keycup is one of the main suspects.

Pisoni pro pads are great and arent cheap (around £90 for a tenor)

You should be able to order them from Music centre spa with your choice of resonators.

I concur with what kevgermany mentioned re prestini brown roos. I have fitted them on my Selmer SA 80 tenor.

Im sure if you ask the guys at windplus nicely they would possibly order the pads for you without the resonators fitted.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Thanks for the input Kev and griff

I had originally thought of going the black Roo route but didn't feel those special reso's you can get with them would suit the character of the old sax and I fancied the brown plastic res's because they won't tarnish or rust but would look naff on the black pads.
I hadn't realised you can get brown Roo pads,which would be a great alternative, but unfortunately I don't like the look of the res's fitted in the pics on the prestini web site, and I can't see the point in paying out for them like that just to take them off and fit plastic,just seems a waste of money,your right about the site it's pants isn't it,the Music Center one is loads better, you ought to take a look at it Kev and tell me what you think they list all the different pads with all the different res's fitted which I'm kind of leaning towards and I don't suppose you'll have import and vat problems because it's EU.I do like the idea of the black with seamless res's but it's the character of the sax thing that bothers me.OH DEAR I wish I wasn't a Pisces decisions decisions.One other thing I've thought of the sax has rolled tone holes does this affect the softness or hardness of the pads I should use,any advise greatfuly received....john

Last edited by a moderator:

thomsax

Rolled tones gives a "broader toneholes edge" compared to a straight tonehole. But also solder-on toneholes gave a "broad tonehole edge" like Martins. The pads lastest longer.

If you are going to do the padjob yourself make sure you get the right heights of the pads. There are two ways to go:

1. Order the same heights of the pads that was on the sax when it was new.
2. Order the same heights that the pads that it's on the sax today. Your sax can be re-padded with pads that are thicker or thinnner than the pads that the sax was constructed for.

You need to take out the pads from the padcups and mesure them up individually to get the right size. I think it's best to buy pads indvidually instead of sets.

Thomas

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
The resonators prestini use are stainless. No tarnish, no rust. No VAT problems as it's EU, you pay German VAT, called MWST, which is a bit cheaper (19%)

Have seen the italian site, was put off ordering because it's Italy, but I need some things, so I'll give them a try.

On pad thickness, Thom raises a good point. The Prestini are a single thickness, no options. I'd err on the side of too thin, then you can pack out with card/paper spacers. Alternative is to bend the keyswhich Thom prefers. There was a discussion on this not so long ago when Martin in the West Indies repadded his sax, and the pads were a bit thin.

My money's strongly in the shimming camp. Reasoning is that the key arms are hard to bend and even harder to bend without marking them. Plus if you're not careful/experienced, you run the risk of bending other parts such as the rods. Much easier to shim, imho. ymmv.

One other thing is that thinner pads tend to be firmer, leading to a clean/clear closing key, not a mushy one. easier to set up as well. But may be harder to control leaks.

griff136

I hadn't realised you can get brown Roo pads,which would be a great alternative, but unfortunately I don't like the look of the res's fitted in the pics on the prestini web site, and I can't see the point in paying out for them like that just to take them off and fit plastic,just seems a waste of money
John, you can order the pads and resonators separately from prestini.de

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Rolled tones gives a "broader toneholes edge" compared to a straight tonehole. But also solder-on toneholes gave a "broad tonehole edge" like Martins. The pads lastest longer.

If you are going to do the padjob yourself make sure you get the right heights of the pads. There are two ways to go:

1. Order the same heights of the pads that was on the sax when it was new.
2. Order the same heights that the pads that it's on the sax today. Your sax can be re-padded with pads that are thicker or thinnner than the pads that the sax was constructed for.

You need to take out the pads from the padcups and mesure them up individually to get the right size. I think it's best to buy pads indvidually instead of sets.

Thomas
Thanks thomsax

There seems to be very little choice in pad thickness available when you buy new, the only ones I've seen are 4.0 AND 4.3, I take it that is probably mm.I was thinking that maybe with the seat area being larger it may be better to use a softer pad to allow for better seating,I have measured all the pad cups with a slide rule and am going to purchase all pads individually ...john

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
The resonators prestini use are stainless. No tarnish, no rust. No VAT problems as it's EU, you pay German VAT, called MWST, which is a bit cheaper (19%)

Have seen the italian site, was put off ordering because it's Italy, but I need some things, so I'll give them a try.

On pad thickness, Thom raises a good point. The Prestini are a single thickness, no options. I'd err on the side of too thin, then you can pack out with card/paper spacers. Alternative is to bend the keyswhich Thom prefers. There was a discussion on this not so long ago when Martin in the West Indies repadded his sax, and the pads were a bit thin.

My money's strongly in the shimming camp. Reasoning is that the key arms are hard to bend and even harder to bend without marking them. Plus if you're not careful/experienced, you run the risk of bending other parts such as the rods. Much easier to shim, imho. ymmv.

One other thing is that thinner pads tend to be firmer, leading to a clean/clear closing key, not a mushy one. easier to set up as well. But may be harder to control leaks.
Thanks Kev and griff again

This vat thing I've put a list of pads on the music centre site and when you put an address in the only uk ones I can find are uk channel islands and uk faulklands can't find just uk so put in the uk channel islands one and as soon as you do that it knocks off the vat I don't know if there is a different one for uk only but it looks like you'll get the silly customs thing and have to deal with them which I've never done before,what do you think...john

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Channel islands are, as far as I know, outside the VAT network, UK means you pay VAT at country of origina when you buy in Europe, and at point of import when you buy from USA etc., usually US sellers will not charge tax on exports.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Well That's it I've opted for pisoni pro's with plastic res's from Music Center Italy MAMAMIA

Saxistential

One other thing I've thought of the sax has rolled tone holes does this affect the softness or hardness of the pads I should use,any advise greatfuly received....john
Late reply, but Conn-Reso-Pads are generally best used to solve a host of issues w/ rolled tone holes.
If you're doing this yourself however, they require differing skills to size and seat them correctly.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Late reply, but Conn-Reso-Pads are generally best used to solve a host of issues w/ rolled tone holes.
If you're doing this yourself however, they require differing skills to size and seat them correctly.
I do have a Dearman tenor waiting for a repad and that has reso pads fitted I believe they are also called ring pads where the pads extend past the lip of the cup, should be fun .....John

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Unless I'm mistaken, you never mentioned the year/make/model these were intended for.
It is engraved British Band Instrument Co and Regent

It is silver plate and has rolled tone holes not sure who manufactured it but am inclined to think it might an original Hawkes and Sons probably mid twenties ......John

arock

OK I want to buy some top quality pads with plastic resonator already fitted, thinking of Pisoni Pro or waterproof I believe these are the real top end pads and quite expensive.Looked at Windplus but they don't seem to supply them plastic res fitted,I've looked on an italian site Music center and they have a miriad of options available including every type of pad with the plastic res fitted but not sure about ordering from Italy.Looked on Windcraft but they seem to supply pads that I haven't heard of,I know you can go to black roo pads for real quality but I don't think these will suit the looks of the instrument which is a vintage silver alto.
If anybody can advise on uk suppliers or alternative pads that are as good as the pisoni's and available in the UK I would appreciate it..thanks .....john
Here is an affordable site for RooPads. http://www.musicmedic.com/catalog/categories/cat_5.html

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom