All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Accessories Pad savers, or not?

dave 645

I have read differing opinions on whether or not to use these. I am talking about the big fluffy feather duster type thing that goes inside of the main body of the sax. I used to store my sax with a pad saver inside, but read, that leaving the pad saver in creates more dust and extra sticky pads. Any ideas/ experiences.

Thanks, and Happy holidays

Young Col

Dave, I've got one but very rarely use it. There have been previous discussions on here about the value of pad savers. I believe the theory is that the saver absorbs moisture, but I recall someone commenting that it must go somewhere and if the saver stays in your sax, so does the moisture. Personally I prefer now to use a pull through at least twice as soon after playing as practical and then leave the sax out to dry naturally on a stand - usually for several hours. I try to keep the pads clean in the usual way, with a cigarette paper drawn through. The Eb on alto is the only one I find gets a bit sticky sometimes. Having said that, the ex-pro who runs my ensemble always keeps pad savers in both alto and tenor.....
YC

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
My alto came with one and I use it, after swabbing. No problems with sticking pads.
I don't have one for the teno and never saw the need, but my bottom D# tends to stck after the instruments been in the case for a couple of days. I may try one, not sure.

Two Voices

I use a pull through with all my saxophones throughout the day and when I've finished for the day. Then I insert a Pad saver and leave it on a stand.

Just to find out if moisture is present, I have removed the Pad Saver after five minutes to find it quite damp despite the pull through being used. However, left in over night I have removed it dry so the moisture must be evaporating whilst in the sax. I also use a bell brush which I leave in too.

I will say that if I immediately place the sax into the case the Pad Saver is a little damp when I take it out the next morning. So I actually stopped storing my sax's in their cases and only use them for transporting them.

saxnik

I tend to use a swab/pull-through, but then leave a pad saver in.
Unless I'm not out and about with the instrument, in which case I do both but leave the sax on a stand, having removed the pad saver again!
I do also tend to (carefully!) put a loop of my sling under the low C# pad, which opens both that and the tricky sticky G#. This way they dry out too, though both would normally be closed when 'at rest'.

And then when it all sticks a used fiver helps to clean the pads...

Nick

Tim

I have been using pad savers since I got my horns. I live in a very dry climate. 6000 feet in Arizona, US. High altitudes are not a problem with moisture staying very long in our horns. I do a pull through then put the pad saver in with some twists and leave it. I do leave my horns on stands. Never in the case right after using them. I use key clamps also. My teacher has bee using them for some time and has no problem with them. Tim

stefank

I just use a pull through, but I leave my "in use" horns on stands rather than in their cases at home, thus giving them a chance to air and dry out.

Staff online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom