Pad missing from back key

AngieW

Hi

I am learning to play the alto sax. Whilst cleaning the sax, or trying to, a small red felt pad flipped from somewhere. I thought it was from the back key ( that operates the octave key) because I couldn't see a pad there but when I went to play today I noticed a clicking sound. When I investigated the clicking sound was coming from the c key hitting the key below. So now I think the pad fell off of that key. I have managed to glue it back onto that key but now I am wondering should there be a pad on the back key as there isn't one there.

I am grateful for any help as my teacher is away on holiday and I don't have any knowledge of which keys have pads etc.

I hope I have posted this ok

Hi

I am learning to play the alto sax. Whilst cleaning the sax, or trying to, a small red felt pad flipped from somewhere. I thought it was from the back key ( that operates the octave key) because I couldn't see a pad there but when I went to play today I noticed a clicking sound. When I investigated the clicking sound was coming from the c key hitting the key below. So now I think the pad fell off of that key. I have managed to glue it back onto that key but now I am wondering should there be a pad on the back key as there isn't one there.

I am grateful for any help as my teacher is away on holiday and I don't have any knowledge of which keys have pads etc.

I hope I have posted this ok
My apologies the pad seems to be missing from the high D key not the back key. Should there be a pad please?

There's usually cork on the foot that rests on the body when it's pressed to stop it making noise or chipping the laquer. The thickness depends how far open it needs to be for comfort and tuning.

Thank you. So there should be a pad on the high D key/ lever then. Can I just put something there to stop it hitting the sax when pressed? A small piece of felt or cork?

Thank you for your help.

Find a local technician and take it to them to check over and sort out. If it's just a missing felt etc it won't be expensive to sort out.

Thank you. So there should be a pad on the high D key/ lever then. Can I just put something there to stop it hitting the sax when pressed? A small piece of felt or cork?

Thank you for your help.

Pad is the circle of leather that seals the tone hole.

Assuming you're talking about the D key that you play with left palm, check the other two palm keys. You'll see a small chunk of cork under them. Cut cork to the same thickness, but slightly oversize with a razor blade or modelling knife, stick it on with contact adhesive like Uhu or Evostick or Bostick. When the glue is properly dry trim to size with the knife cutting from sax towards the key. Better this cork is too thin, than too thick.