support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Pad conditioner?

arock

Locality
Northern California
What do you use on your older pads? Is there a special conditioner? Do you use a leather treatment? How often do you use it?
Thank you.

Thanks.
I understand. Once leather hardens up, it is time to replace it, but I have some older pads, on a Buescher, that play perfect and I want to keep them that way. New pads need very little maintenance but it would be good to clean them on occasion, too.
Thanks for the info.

Apart from a gentle wipe occasionaly, I'd leave well alone. If it ain't broke....

My esteemed friend Bob Anram (a phenomenal NY tenor saxophonist) swears by using Blistex to recondition old and dry pads:

http://www.blistex.com/

The only treatment I apply (when repadding a horn) is Ferree's T80 silicone pad treatment:

http://www.ferreestools.com/index_files/Page191.htm

But that is a preventative application, and not a restorative one.

Most brands of pads nowadays are pretreated with a water repellant. You can tell by placing a drop of water on the pad. If it beads up, the leather has been treated. Older pads would just get an instant brown spot. My question about the Ferree's silicone treatment is whether the pads tend to get sticky after a while.

I am of the school of not adding any treatment to the pads. If they need cleaning I have found the Doctor's Pad Cleaner to work very well. It is necessary to take off the keys to clean them which is not a problem for the palm keys and low Eb which are the ones that generally need cleaning. When the stack keys get bad, then it is time to repad the saxophone IMO.

I've had various things recommended to me over the years - neats foot oil, saddle soap, Runyon pad dope etc - I've not tried any of these things, so can't comment on their effectiveness, but they'll probably make the pads a bit sticky

I feel real privileged here to have the three big names on this forum reply to me. Thank you all.
While you are watching I have to tell a story on my last purchase.
I bought a 1927 Buescher True Tone for $350, sight unseen. The description sounded good, but you never know.
When it arrive, I opened the case and the smell of must was terrible but the horn was near perfect in appearance.
I boiled the mouthpiece, put a new read on it and the horn pays perfect, top to bottom.
In the case were 40 new Vandoren reeds from possibly 1930's era, in the original boxes, from France. They also play perfect.
Sometimes you just get lucky.

Hi John,
I've not experienced any sticking as a result of using the Ferrees product. The silicone ingredient is the key. It does seem to help to effectively repel moisture absorption and thus extend the pad's life however.

Hi John,
I've not experienced any sticking as a result of using the Ferrees product. The silicone ingredient is the key. It does seem to help to effectively repel moisture absorption and thus extend the pad's life however.

Thanks. I'll give it another look. It has been several years since I tried it. I can't remember what I didn't like about it. Does it discolor (darken) the leather once it is applied? That may have been my objection.

Thanks. I'll give it another look. It has been several years since I tried it. I can't remember what I didn't like about it. Does it discolor (darken) the leather once it is applied? That may have been my objection.

It depends on the pad. Most new ones do not discolor once the application is dry, but applying it to older, dry pads will tend to darken them that much more.

What? Why?...

Again, What? and Why?

Well.... it looks like a sample for the doctor, so that's probably why the eeeewwwww

The sticking pins is a reference to what we see in films and television shows when a witch doctor inflicts pain by sticking pins in a doll. Calling it Voodoo is pure marketing. Do we still believe in magic?

Leather is processed skin and being an organic product, it has a shelf life and when it's done it's done. I'm a big fan of leather. I have furniture, clothing, footwear and over the years have tried lots of these so called wonder products. Most leather treatments are oil based. Any oil will soften and waterproof leather. The benefits of applying it to pads is suspect. This type of product will only put off the inevitable replacement of pads that are done in my experience.

I`m coming clean here. My very first ever post on this Forum.http://cafesaxophone.com/showthread.php?2115-Voodoo-Pad-Juice-Review

Was about this issue and I actually endorsed the product. Would I buy it again? Probably Not. Would I treat my Saxophone pads again? Definitely Yes. This statement is purely down to one of necessity and cost of replacing pads. My Conn still has 99% of the pads from when I got it and they started to go hard after I stopped gigging due to reduced use. if I were even moderately wealthy I would have had a re-pad Decades ago.

Ive treated my pads with a combination of products ranging from Pledge to Saddle oil and in my case I have stemmed their deterioration and have benefited from having a horn that is playable from top to bottom. I rarely suffer stickiness although I think thats just a feature of the Old Conn Springs. ( Very thick and Strong).

One thing I can definitely state is that when I have removed a pad to reseat it. I have been absolutely amazed how soft and pliant they have become , This may just be down to a superior pad in the 1st place but I suspect it`s as a result of treatment.

I sometimes don`t like to comment on these type of threads simply as readers may end up causing serious ill harm to the playability of an instrument by taking advice and for that reason I would not suggest treating pads unless you have absolutely no Choice ( Say before a gig when you have no time to get things seen).

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that bad to boil the mouthpiece? I put it in a cup of water and Microwaved it for 2 minutes. It might not have really boiled but it got to about 200*.

Is that bad to boil the mouthpiece? I put it in a cup of water and Microwaved it for 2 minutes. It might not have really boiled but it got to about 200*.

Well, a mouthpiece can melt quite easily or, if it is rubber it can start releasing sulfur, giving that distinctive "taste of hell".

Please promise me you will not do it again :crying:

Well.... it looks like a sample for the doctor, so that's probably why the eeeewwwww

The sticking pins is a reference to what we see in films and television shows when a witch doctor inflicts pain by sticking pins in a doll. Calling it Voodoo is pure marketing. Do we still believe in magic?

Leather is processed skin and being an organic product, it has a shelf life and when it's done it's done. I'm a big fan of leather. I have furniture, clothing, footwear and over the years have tried lots of these so called wonder products. Most leather treatments are oil based. Any oil will soften and waterproof leather. The benefits of applying it to pads is suspect. This type of product will only put off the inevitable replacement of pads that are done in my experience.
OK, I think the general consensus is that Mr Saxophone world Headquarters is as bent as a ten bob note regarding his exploits within saxophone land.......BUT! this product is through Music Medic right? surely Kurt Alterak wouldn't be selling it if it was as you suggest?