All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
ArtistWorks
Packing a Sax for safe transit

Packing a Sax for safe transit

Melissa

Melissa submitted a new resource:

Packing a Sax for safe transit - Safe courier proof packing

Hi,
I know there are the odd articles regards sending Saxophones, but none show you what I feel is the safest way to post one to avoid any damage in transit. I have been selling musical instruments for s few years now and sold a lot of Saxes, I always pack them in this manner and have never had one instrument damaged in transit- even by the worst known couriers.

So here is my personal step by step guide with photos, I hope it is useful to you all.

Ok, some notes. I buy custom made boxes, they...
Read more about this resource...

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
Great advice and I'm happy to see the use of shredded cardboard instead of the dreaded plastic peanuts.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Some of the 'plastic' peanuts are corn starch and are intended to be flushed away - they dissolve easily in water. As it'll bio-degrade easily, I think it's ecologically good, but may be wrong.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Some of the 'plastic' peanuts are corn starch and are intended to be flushed away - they dissolve easily in water. As it'll bio-degrade easily, I think it's ecologically good, but may be wrong.
Some may be but I think many are not, and seem to have a brain which causes them to go anywhere except where you want them. Try tipping a box full of them into a bin liner, I guarantee less than 50% will end up in the bin liner.

I do agree that bio degradable ones would be great, but how can you know which ones are?

OP
Melissa

Melissa

Yes they do kind of dissolve, but through experience they lose their consitency in transit, after all the throwing and packing into vehicles they do become crushed and if you are ever in doubt, do what I have done, when visting realtives in Scotland, send yourself an empty sax case- pack it in a multitude of ways and uses several different couriers to see the outcome- you would not believe how some of them arrive.

This is why I use what I do as they have always arrive fine, the shredded cardboad is the most economical to buy, it last's longer, reusable, and bio degradable, when I receive a parcel with what I would cosnider as spent shredded cardboard, I just put it in my composter and it breaks down fine, I then use it on all my veggies and such- the compost must be good as had a 130LB Pumpkin last year!- though was an Atlantic giant :D

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Although I much prefer anything degradable, for a foam like substance that is not horribly crumbly (like expanded polystyrene) it's worth trying polyethalene (aka ethafoam). It's the shinier stuff that you can bend a bit - you know it, it's the stuff they sometimes make cheap exercise mats from and is now quite common as a packing product.

I bought some for making a shaped insert in a mouthpiece case and for £12 free delivery I got 5 sheets 115cm x 40cm x 10cm so I have loads to spare now.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Thank you very much Pete:)
You're welcome, I 'm really happy for people to add resources.

One thing you can do to enhance the resource is to add an FAQ section, just click on the edit link and when you edit the resource you should see an extra text input filed for FAQs. When you add something to that you then get an extra FAQ tab at the top of the resource with this one:

http://cafesaxophone.com/community/resources/how-to-use-the-resources-section.28/

FAQs can be added when you create a resource or edited in afterwards based on the discussion thread which the resource automatically creates (ie this one)

Fraser Jarvis

I once bought an old Conn stencil that arrived wrapped up in nothing more than a pair of old curtains with a bit of selotape holding the label on.....not a mark on it anywere! guess I was just lucky...

milandro

one of the best materials that you can use AROUND the case (and after you have been cushioning the horn INSIDE the case) before you put it in another , outer box, are egg boxes (6 or 12 eggs). They are lightweight and very robust, they will protect the horn inside and at the same time absorb any shocks. I collect our own used ones ( the best recycling is not throwing things away) and use them for my shippings but I guess they could be also bought .

Last edited:

ProfJames

Elementary member
My wife has tenor sized nets in the kitchen and baritone velvets in the lounge!!! I could a complete wind section sent to Halifax with UPS if I could get the dining room drapes!

ProfJames

Elementary member
You could bend them around the bell and have a unique look! Also good for sound proofing if you tuck them in. Just nee a bell shaped pelmet.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom