Tutorials

Saxophones P.Mauriat PMXT-66R Vintage or Gold Lacquered?

felixmrdgez

Hello people. I am new to the forum. I am buying this P.Mauriat PMXT-66R tenor sax, but I don't know which version to buy. I am from Spain, they're selling it in this music store. The Gold Lacquered finish is 70 dollars less than the Dark Vintage. I don't care about this price difference, I care about the sound. I know already that some of you will say ''bro it's the mouthpiece you use, the way you use your embouchure and the style you play''. That is 80%, and the sax is probably 20%. That doesn't mean the sax has to be a bad one... but it's obvious that saxophones have tonal differences.

Very important: I am looking for this Pharoah Sanders, late Coltrane, Archie Shepp, Albert Ayler type of tone. I want to know which one sounds more like their tone... (I suppose it is the Vintage though but I want to be sure). But if someone has tried both or anything I'd like to know. How different is the Vintage from the Gold lacquered version? Which one you would pick? Thank you so much

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
The lacquer itself makes no difference to the sound. The dark vintage doesn't refer to a vintage sound, it refers to a vintage "look"

Great horns IMO.

felixmrdgez

The lacquer itself makes no difference to the sound. The dark vintage doesn't refer to a vintage sound, it refers to a vintage "look"

Great horns IMO.
Oh I didn't know that. It said in the product description "This vintage finishing gives the PMXT-66R Tenor Saxophone a sound with great definition and incredible spontaneity." haha.

So the sound is not necessarily darker? I was going to get Le Bravo 200 but they told me it was out of stock. Thank you for the info.

Last edited:

mpjbiker

I've got a 66R vintage finish I bought second hand a few years ago. It's been a great horn, with no real issues. Doesn't feel quite as plush under the fingers as my Selmer, but is perfectly acceptable for all styles, sounds great!

Stephen Howard

So the rolled toneholes are a problem? Should I go for another model? The 66RX has them too?

Rolled toneholes, in and of themselves, are not a problem. They have their pros and cons, but they really do have to be made very well...and I'm not seeing that attention to detail on the Mauriats. I'd suggest either looking for a used 66 (the version with plain toneholes, or going for a different model within the range. Depends how much you feel it's an issue for you.

Colin the Bear

Finish affecting sound? Just like motorbikes the red ones go faster and everyone knows a stripe on a car improves performance :rolleyes:

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
I care about the sound. I know already that some of you will say ''bro it's the mouthpiece you use, the way you use your embouchure and the style you play''. That is 80%, and the sax is probably 20%.
Right ...and anyone who says that is dead wrong, so I agree, no point listening to that malrkey....

but it's obvious that saxophones have tonal differences.
This is absolutely 100% correct. Different models do have different tonalities. Most of the time, noticeable differences.

However....two horns of the same model, in different finishes ? That becomes a very dubious argument. Sax forums are littered with conversations on how or whether finish effects tone....people chiming in not only with opinions but also academic studies done on the subject.

The general consensus is in most places, as it is here: finish does not effect tone, or if it does it is so negligible to the ear that it basically doesn't.

So, choose the horn which you like the looks of better. My only question is: is the Dark Vintage a lacquer finish or is it one of those factory-applied false patina finishes ? Because if the latter, reports are those sort of finishes can wear thru to bare brass in areas where the horn gets handled regularly...thus creating bare patches in the dark finish.

IMHO, your sampling of players IS more about how they played their horns than their horns themeslves. So if you like the syles you mention, really any horn will be able to achieve that sorta vibe if you, the player, set yourself to playing like that.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
I would like to know more about the sax, any people with a experience with it?
I had a 66R DK as my main gigging horn for many years. They play beautifully, really responsive, powerful and extremely easy to work with...

Top Bottom