Subscriptions and donations are given to special needs music education charities
SYOS

Beginner Out of tune

Paddyf

My sax is so out of tune even when the mouthpiece is put firmly to the end of the cork that G plays nearer to a than a sharp (somewhere between) is there anything i can do) or just accept my fate... This is on tenor sax g being the first three fingers of the left hand down( just checking as a newbie im not misunderstanding my instruments tuning)

randulo

22 months since I began - 3.5% of my adult life
Subscriber
My sax is so out of tune even when the mouthpiece is put firmly to the end of the cork that G plays nearer to a than a sharp (somewhere between) is there anything i can do) or just accept my fate... This is on tenor sax g being the first three fingers of the left hand down( just checking as a newbie im not misunderstanding my instruments tuning)
G on your tenor should show as F concert on a tuner. G on my alto plays a Bb concert.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
My sax is so out of tune even when the mouthpiece is put firmly to the end of the cork that G plays nearer to a than a sharp
Are you saying that your G sounds higher than G# when you push the mouthpiece all the way onto the cork?
If so, then that is not surprising - you should pull the mouthpiece out to lower the pitch, not push it further on.

As @randulo says, the saxophone is a transposing instrument, so a 3-finger G on tenor should show as F on a tuner.

Keep Blowing

Commercial Café Supporter
As the previous owner of this Saxophone I would like to assure @Paddyf it definitely isn't way out of tune and is as in tune as any other horn I have played , and to save me going onto your other thread the Mouthpiece is okay, not the best but as I explained it is more than adequate to get you well and truly started and when you have outgrown it to come and see me and try a few different ones. Was it a La Voz medium reed I gave you?
It's good hear you've got started!

Colin the Bear

Saxophones don't play in tune. Welcome to our world. It'll be some time before you get to be playing in tune. Put the tuner away and don't shove the mouthpiece on so far.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom