All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Out of Nowhere

thesaxman71

Great melody choice, i do like this... nice attempt sir very even tone, a little tricky over the changes i know but you do aim high going for improvisation on this melody but go for it i say feet first as you can only learn from it. Also looks like you are developing your own sound quite quick too, nice 1.

another thing with this melody, maybe you already know this, is that the old 'star trek' theme tune was built upon the changes of this tune, try playing it over and see, i sometimes quote star trek when i do this on a gig.

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
It really is a great melody Ian, I first heard a version by British tenor player " Bobby Wellins" along with piano player Dave Newton.
Scott Hamilton does a version but I can't find any audio just a transcription of his solo..Thanks for the comments, the written prompts for the solo are getting less. One of these days I'll just blow the horn and see what comes out..

Colin, thanks for the comments fella. Btw your version of 'Alfie' sounds good

Chris..

Mike

Hey Chris, you're definitely showing a bit more emotion when playing the head. Much more full.
One thing about playing tunes that have history, is that if you or anyone is playing them in 2013 then that makes it a present day tune to the individual. It's all illusion to think that it's strictly period music that should be left for listening only. Music is timeless and that applies to any type of music and to breath life in any form of music that is 100 yrs old or 1 day old is beautiful!
It's all out there for us to pick and choose exercising our free will.

So, standards still have their rightful place and they should be enjoyed by anyone who enjoys them.

I'm elated that you find joy in these lovely pieces of music. Keep at it man and most of all keep the heart open.

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Hey folks thanks for all the comments, it's a fun journey learning to play the sax and I keep finding all these tunes that have really great melodies. Written yesterday, played today and listened too tomorrow. Thanks..

Chris..

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom