support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Our saxophone family

Here are some members of our saxophone family :)
http://soundcloud.com/jujuoh/air-by-j-s-bach
This was my first recording attempt when we started our new studio (and my first attempt to record some classical music...).
I play a Buffet Prestige soprano, a Yamaha 62 alto and a Selmer MK VI tenor; My hubby plays a Yamaha 62 baritone.
Juju

Beautiful, Juju. I've never heard a sax quartet sounding so orchestral. I love that piece of music...it sounds like it could be put together with another song to make a medley, a bit along the lines 'A lighter Shade of Pale'...kind of a haunting melody taking off into another song...just can't think what song it could be put with...do you know what I mean...or am I just sounding dumb?

Martin

To me it's complete, too..
What about Hamlet cigar ads??? :confused: Are they using Bach for the ad?
Juju

I didn't mean it was incomplete at all...it's perfect just as it is...what I meant was that this piece of music strikes me as being good to use with something else, as a medley.

Here's an example. The guy I play with on Friday nights is Italian, although he's lived in Grenada for 20 years or so. When he wants to, he can sing with a really authentic opera style voice. One song that he does is a medley of 'No Woman, No Cry, by Bob Marley and Con Te Partiro by Andre Bocelli. The two songs have the same chords and he switches from one to the other and back again seamlesly. Sounds wierd doesn't it, but it works really well and the audience love it. Pity is, he's never put it on youtube, so I can't show you.

Well anyway, it just struck me that your Bach would be lovely to put with something else in that same way...only I don't know what. I definately didn't mean it as a criticism, rather, just a daft sort of suggestion...if you know what I mean?

Martin

What about Hamlet cigar ads??? :confused: Are they using Bach for the ad?
Juju

AndyG's example is one of many. Not sure now, but for years they were advertising the ciars with this and similar themed ads. THis continued after cigarette ads were banned... Now, although I've lived out of the UK for most of the last 30 years, I can't hear the air without thinking of the ads. Bummer, cos it's one of my favourite pieces of Bach.

Iv'e a similar problem with Dvorak's Symphony from the New World and Hovis.

I didn't mean it was incomplete at all...it's perfect just as it is...what I meant was that this piece of music strikes me as being good to use with something else, as a medley.

Here's an example. The guy I play with on Friday nights is Italian, although he's lived in Grenada for 20 years or so. When he wants to, he can sing with a really authentic opera style voice. One song that he does is a medley of 'No Woman, No Cry, by Bob Marley and Con Te Partiro by Andre Bocelli. The two songs have the same chords and he switches from one to the other and back again seamlesly. Sounds wierd doesn't it, but it works really well and the audience love it. Pity is, he's never put it on youtube, so I can't show you.

Well anyway, it just struck me that your Bach would be lovely to put with something else in that same way...only I don't know what. I definately didn't mean it as a criticism, rather, just a daft sort of suggestion...if you know what I mean?

Martin

Not sure. There are a lot of medley's put together like this, but I'm not a big fan. Others clearly are.

Martin

I understand now :) I think I'm more like Kev, medleys are not for me. Although I would be interested to know what other pieces you think might fit. At the moment I can't think of anything...
I'm glad that so far there isn't any piece that I associate with ads!
Juju

That was wonderfully played and very artistic. The mixing was perfect too. The inner voices can be heard without obscuring the melody. If you're taking requests, how about the largo from Handel's Xerxes.

Bach is tops and that was very sweet. Its interesting too. I have never heard a soprano but listening to a recording of alto in the higher octave it occurred to me that it sounded less like a sax than in the lower. With eyes shut it could have been a trumpet or even possibly a harmonica. The soprano you played was pure and sweet, but it could have been some other brass instrument too. I have been thinking this for a few days so good time to hear the soprano. Loved it. (Hope that doesnt sound completely mad.)

Thanks everyone for the nice comments :)
My soprano is a rather unusual one as it's made from copper. I love it for classical music or saxophone quartets because of its pure sound. However, it doesn't like to be pushed. It makes you feel somehow restricted.
I used to play it in church together with organ, we would play music by Debussy, Ravel etc.
I recorded the soprano with two microphones, I found that this is the best way to record it. There is hardly any compression used on the soprano, whereas for alto and tenor we used quite a bit of compression to make them sound a bit 'string-like'.
Juju

Back
Top Bottom