All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Saxophones Ouch

QWales

Looks like it needs a bit of therapy:

Rough Translation:

"Selmer tenor saxophone mark 6 mark types, poor condition, daubed in black paint and old

key blank (?), bears the number 165 621 (1968), no jar or beak, missing at least three key

and linkage, deformation at the pavilion

a brief instrument with interesting big repair has predict, I do not know much about the sax

you can always ask me precisions and photos, possible delivery worldwide

good biddings"

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
fortunately it doesn't claim to be black lacquer - it does indeed say (and show) that it's black paint!
no neck or mouthpiece, bent...

to be fair they've been pretty honest saying it's in dire need of repair.

I'm amazed that there have been 11 bids up to 685euro so far!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Rough Translation:

"Selmer tenor saxophone mark 6 mark types, poor condition, daubed in black paint and old

key blank (?), bears the number 165 621 (1968), no jar or beak, missing at least three key

and linkage, deformation at the pavilion

a brief instrument with interesting big repair has predict, I do not know much about the sax

you can always ask me precisions and photos, possible delivery worldwide

good biddings"
That's nearly as rough as the paint job. ;}

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber

Not sure if it's too expensive or not.

Lets say in good condition it's worth about 3-5K

Factor in strip, convert to bare metal finish. Dent removal. Supply/make a couple of keys, linkage. Rebuild with new pads/corks/springs etc. Add in an aftermarket neck (always a good selling point). At the current price, assuming you have a workshop and good technician(s), it comes out under 2K. Expected profit 2-3K+, min profit 1K if you have to be hasty. Not bad....

tzadik

Jaco Pastorius "painted" his bass fretboard with marine epoxy paint.
Maybe that ebay user done the same thing with the Mark VI.

Selmer made Mark VIs in black, green, red, purple, white lacquer finishing (it was an additional external lacquering over the normal gold lacquer)... but that is not a original Selmer lacquer.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbtsax

Subscriber
I paid $1000 U.S. for the Mark VI alto pictured below that was found in a dumpster in New York. A Mark VI neck that someone had engraved their name on the side was another $400. I should have it restored by the end of the summer. That tenor actually does not look that bad. :)

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I paid $1000 U.S. for the Mark VI alto pictured below that was found in a dumpster in New York. A Mark VI neck that someone had engraved their name on the side was another $400. I should have it restored by the end of the summer. That tenor actually does not look that bad.
It sounds like a horror movie.

zannad

fortunately it doesn't claim to be black lacquer - it does indeed say (and show) that it's black paint!

no neck or mouthpiece, bent...

Considering it's a Mark VI, I think it's a bargain...
Remove the black paint (that isn't even laquer) and you are singing...of course you need to find the neck first.
Considering the seller has only 3 marks...this might well be a stolen sax which has been badly masked by someone who doesn't understand saxes - who would paint a Selmer VI in such a barbaric way?

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
My guess is some sax player in New York told his wife he was going out on weekends to play gigs when he was really having an affair, and his wife found out. :w00t: You know, Hell hath no fury . . . >:)
Not true: I know the real story.
A Wall Street guy confessed an affair with his secretary, but his wife found out that he was actually going and play saxophone in Brooklyn.
She couldn't stand the perspective of being unable to pay the mortgage and got rid of the horn.

Top Bottom