All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

M/Pieces - Ligs Otto Link New York metal mouthpiece.

usn694

Hey gang. What do you guys think about the Otto link new York mouthpiece? I just got one for my tenor.

Saxlicker

Hi,
The intention of the mouthpiece is all good.

Otto Link since taken over by the Babbitt factory have a bad rep for consistency and if you listen to sax playing elders the rep goes back even before that.
So hopefully yours will play well enough for you and have a sound that pleases you too. But not all do.
It took me a long time and a lot of bought and sold pieces to get on with an Otto link.

You may also find it will be a while working on your sound before you enjoy it but if that's the case, it will be worth it in the end!
Good Luck!

jonf

I had one for a while, and it was great, big gruff sound with a bit more brightness than I was expecting. A good Otto is a fine mouthpiece, and I think the NY ones are better than the standard STM.

Happy playing.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
See how it plays, consider getting it refaced. Morgan Fry is one possibility. If you like the Link sound, you're going in the right direction.

jonf

The one I had would go pretty loud, but that might have been because it was a 9*

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
The one I had would go pretty loud, but that might have been because it was a 9*
I thought yours had had a baffle added to give it some extra oomph? i tried an 8 at a Fat45 rehearsal once- lovely sound, when i played toward the plate glass window in the studio it sounded great, as soon as I turned back into the room it vanished without trace (Fat45 are fairly loud but nothing compared with a rock band)

jonf

I thought yours had had a baffle added to give it some extra oomph?
No, that's a different Link. That's a highly modified beast, an old standard Link with scooped out side walls, levelled table and rails and a whopping great baffle. Absolutely screams, and it's as loud as any piece I've ever played. Even Nick (see above) would like it!

The New York Link I had was standard. I don't know whether it was a product of variable Link quality standards, but it had a small rollover baffle, which seemed to give it some extra oomph.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
No, that's a different Link. That's a highly modified beast, an old standard Link with scooped out side walls, levelled table and rails and a whopping great baffle. Absolutely screams, and it's as loud as any piece I've ever played. Even Nick (see above) would like it!
It's not really a Link then?

jonf

It's not really a Link then?
No, not any more. Look a right mess, lost most plating, the baffle is a crude wedge of epoxy, but it plays better (for me at least) than any other mouthpiece I've ever had.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
No, not any more. Look a right mess, lost most plating, the baffle is a crude wedge of epoxy, but it plays better (for me at least) than any other mouthpiece I've ever had.
A New York Link, very wide, with a high baffle built in- suppose you've got yourself something a bit like a Durga there

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom