support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Otto Link Mouthpiece

Mikey B

Locality
South Devon
I have recently purchased a metal Link Tenor STM 7* mouthpiece, this was to give me a more mellow sound than my Lawton 7*BB. After initial problems of getting the piece to fit the neck properly I have found that the ligature is not clamping the reed effectively, and is also not very well finished off with many sharp and ragged edges.

Whilst the mouthpiece itself is ok and I like the tone it gives me, Is there an alternative ligature available to fit?

Regards, Mike.

I had the same problem - I bought one with my Cannonball as it worked so much better with it than my Lawton, but I just could not get on with the lig. I bought a standard Selmer lig which Wood Wind & Reed carefully bent to fit the Link perfectly. Very satisfactory solution.

STM ligs are notorious for being lousy. If you have a duff one, the easiest option is to use a Rovner or BG fabric type. Problem solved, for not too much dosh.

Thanks for the info dooce and jonf, I will try a Rovner lig, I had a look at my alto Rovner but it is a bit big for the link so will get the L13 that is specified for that mouthpiece, hopefully get to play it in earnest soon!

Regards, Mike.

Alternatively a 3ML Bari Sax one works very well. That's what I use on mine.

For a bit more money (quite a bit more) the Vandoren Optimum V16 ligature works really well with STMs.

Rhys

For a modest price Ive been impressed with the Rico H lig for Links. I cant descern the difference between it and more expensive ligs like the FL. I havent tried them for hard rubber but mine for metal links works great.

I have exactly the same piece, and use a BG Revelation Jazz. I love the combo, which works well for me.
Al

I have been a little slack on finding a lig for the Link, I am really unsure what is the best way to go as there been many different suggestions posted

I think it will be a Rovner, but what would be best to fit the link?

Regards, Mike

I use a Francois Louis Lig (It's made to suit a soprano mouth piece) but I find it works really well on my Otto Link
Regards Adrian

Attachments

• ottolinkFranLouLig.jpg
    ottolinkFranLouLig.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 157
  • ottolinkFranLouLig2.jpg
    ottolinkFranLouLig2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 154
I seem to find a lot of red elastic bands lying on the street pavments, two or three wound tight around the mouthpiece seem to work O.K.....:)

Back
Top Bottom