support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Otto Link 6* metal mouthpiece

The only thing I would say is try them out, I've heard that Otto Links are particularly inconsistent these days, so if you get the chance to try a few then pick the best one.

I want to try them out but . . .

the local music store wants $ 325 for one, and I can get one from Musician's Friend for $ 179, and the proprietor gets cross with me when I just try things out, and don't purchase.

Rico Metalite or Graftonite would be a far better bet - save you an absolute fortune and superbly consistent! If you try things out and don't make a purchase it may mean that what you are trying out is not worth buying - he may need to get better stock.

the proprietor gets cross with me when I just try things out, and don't purchase.

I think this suggests you should find another retailer.

Good Links are very good. Bad ones are like blowing through a sock.

Personally I play a Runyon Smoothbore on bari, and it's great, and they're really cheap in the US. A Rico Metalite M7 is fantastic on Bari, and incredibly cheap. Looks a bit odd, but they play really well.

Guess what, I agree with Tom. The Rico Metalite is a fantasic 'piece. I recently bought one, and I'm amazed at the performance.
I used it Friday night at one of Alicante's top clubs (The Jazzboree) and had the best night's playing since '65. The owner of the club adjusts the 'desk' for balance, and for once during solo's, I was louder than the guitars, with a beautiful edge to the sound.
Who forgot to take the Zoom along :crying:

Only $24.99 at www.saxplus.com - £15.56 in UK terms - www.rapidreeds.com have them at about £22.80 in UK (as well as Tenor and Soprano).

I'll get one even though I don't have a Baritone Sax...........................;}

Hi Johnboy!

I dug out my worst tenor reed - a Gonzales, which is very plank like. I sanded it according to all the advice that you have been posting, and guess what ..................................................?

I now have the thinnest plank known to man - you could use to cut diamonds, or trim metalite mouthpieces.
John Coltrane would struggle playing it on a Yamaha 4C

It is in fact a surf board for a wasp.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Hi Johnboy!

I dug out my worst tenor reed - a Gonzales, which is very plank like. I sanded it according to all the advice that you have been posting, and guess what ..................................................?

I now have the thinnest plank known to man - you could use to cut diamonds, or trim metalite mouthpieces.
John Coltrane would struggle playing it on a Yamaha 4C

It is in fact a surf board for a wasp.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

I recon that would be fantastic on a Berg Larsen 9*3 ;}

John >:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is a Berg Larsen 9*3 a sort of wave specially for wasps...........................:cheers:

Tom, you could try my other trick of rubbing some plastic glue into the tip (to stop the reed becoming waterlogged), and put the wasp on. It might not fall off then :rolleyes:

I've always been mad,
John.

I got a rico Metallight. It came sans ligature and cap. I did not ask. my stupidity.

Tom, you could try my other trick of rubbing some plastic glue into the tip (to stop the reed becoming waterlogged), and put the wasp on. It might not fall off then :rolleyes:

I've always been mad,
John.

I tried the glue trick but the Gonzalez surf board now goes too fast for the wasps, who are all a bit scared of it. I've had to adapt a V16 3, which is a lot slower and they are much happier.......:w00t::w00t::w00t:

I tried the glue trick but the Gonzalez surf board now goes too fast for the wasps, who are all a bit scared of it. I've had to adapt a V16 3, which is a lot slower and they are much happier.......:w00t::w00t::w00t:

You have to train them, don't give in to their foibles, you spoil them and you should be - :ashamed

John;}

Back
Top Bottom