All profit supporting   special needs music

OT posts from 3D mouthpiece thread

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
I’ve asked on other sites why everyone can post whatever they want with no copyright infringements and I was told that if it’s in public domain then it’s open to being used and as long as you aren’t using it in your own projects to profit from.

Other sites may take a more relaxed view over copyright but that doesn't mean they are right and given the environment our members, especially our professional members work in it wouldn't be right to steadfastly protect their rights to copyright and ignore another professions.

And just for information we had serious complaints from a member who was a photographer around copyright some years ago.

Jx

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
so how am I infringing on copyright laws?

I just noticede this was on one of them - that seems reasonably clear to me.

Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 17.47.49.png

I wrote this thread explaining, and you must have read it because you gave it a like

Last edited:

Having just reread many of the seven pages of this OT thread, I feel exhausted. I never heard of points? Are they like a driving license, you lose the right to drive after some limit?

I recall one OT where the topic was reggae saxophone and a discussion started about whether all skinheads were racists. Plus, I think it became contentious. That's a pretty obvious and annoying case of OT. In the case of "humor", what sometimes happens is that in a discussion that holds some benefit like an actual answer to a question, someone decides to blurt out a joke that the other doesn't get. This injects specious comments into an otherwise useful post and is a distraction, unless it's really funny. The problem is, "funny" is completely subjective.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
Are they like a driving license, you lose the right to drive after some limit?
Yes.

It is a moderator warning system that accrues points that can expire after a certain amount of time. Somewhere I think there is a thread that explains this.

Typically a warning is 3 points.

Accruing 6 points the user "goes into moderation" ie their posts need mod approval. (For the amount of time those points are not expired (as with a driving licence)

9 points means a ban for the amount of time those points are active.

It's an automated system, but with some leeway. The member is always welcome to discuss via Conversation and warnings can be deleted - we try to be sympathetic if something is was a genuine misunderstanding.

As you can hopefully see from the polls we have had we do care and listen to what members think and are prepared to discuss the rules and their implementation.

In the case of this thread, as I have said, I am not prepared to badmouth anyone publically - in spite of the fact it would vindicate whatever we did that some may have thought was wrong. But as always I'm happy to discuss privately anything with all honesty (ie facts not opinion) to anyone who cares to know more. Both in regard to this thread and the one other contentious case a couple of years previously that involved a member actually committing fraud.

Mods do their best to be "good cop" and we are proud that in over 12 years of existence very few unpleasantnesses have happened. Very few (non-spammer) members have been banned.

Last edited:

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Café Supporter
Locality
Canada
I just noticede this was on one of them - that seems reasonably clear to me.

View attachment 14873

I wrote this thread explaining, and you must have read it because you gave it a like

What am I using it for and if that is the only one then why did I get five copyright infringement and points off. The thing is you don’t let me know which posts you’re reprimanding me for because you take them away.

The first time I even knew about these copyright laws i was asked to stop so other members will also, leading me to believe their choice to use photos off the net was my responsibility. You told me then I’d lost three points.

In conclusion, I feel unfairly picked on here and I’m not sure why. It’s actually getting hurtful.

Since this is off topic anyway I figured I should be safe airing out my frustrations here.

Yes it’s a business and just because it’s a ‘not for profit’ business doesn’t mean it doesn’t make money. I’ve known plenty of not for profit business who are making a fortune with the added tax break they receive , it makes it all worthwhile . They also work in conjunction with others who aren’t not for profit businesses.

I’m not suggested this is what you’re doing but a business is still a business. How you decide to run it is completely up to you.

That’s the part I don’t know anything about nor care to as it’s none of my business.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
why did I get five copyright infringement and points off.

Because I was being lenient and reduced two of them from 3 (normal for copyright infingement here) to 1. =

Hence you didn't get an automatic ban for posting not one but three very obvious copyright images.
The thing is you don’t let me know which posts you’re reprimanding me for because you take them away.

We can't leave them there because that leaves us open to litigation.

Did you not see this in post 123. That was on one of the images.

screenshot-2020-06-28-at-17-47-49-png.14873

Yes it’s a business and just because it’s a ‘not for profit’ business doesn’t mean it doesn’t make money. I’ve known plenty of not for profit business who are making a fortune with the added tax break they receive , it makes it all worthwhile

That is when somebody calls one part of their business non-profit yet uses that for a tax break on another part.

If you are accusing me/us of that it is pretty offensive.

This is a self contained company and is 100% non-profit. What you are insinuating is very unpleasant not just to me but to everyone.

• We make money as a commercial enterprise
  • We make an apparent profit from sales vs cost of sales
  • Every penny of that profit is donated to charities.
  • I could have kept it for myself but I don't
  • Our accounts are transparent - they are filed at Companies House.

Last edited:

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
Our accounts are transparent - they are filed at Companies House.
Actually I don't think that makes them totally transparent, but if anyone else doubts our integrity I am happy to post our actual filed accounts with full dislosure of profit and loss since we became incorporated.

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Café Supporter
Locality
Canada
Because I was being lenient and reduced two of them from 3 (normal for copyright infingement here) to 1. =

Hence you didn't get an automatic ban for posting not one but three very obvious copyright images.

We can't leave them there because that leaves us open to litigation.

Did you not see this in post 123. That was on one of the images.

screenshot-2020-06-28-at-17-47-49-png.14873

That is when somebody calls one part of their business non-profit yet uses that for a tax break on another part.

If you are accusing me/us of that it is pretty offensive.

This is a self contained company and is 100% non-profit. What you are insinuating is very unpleasant not just to me but to everyone.

• We make money as a commercial enterprise
  • We make an apparent profit from sales vs cost of sales
  • Every penny of that profit is donated to charities.
  • I could have kept it for myself but I don't
  • Our accounts are transparent - they are filed at Companies House.
You showed me one which had something added. I only added two different pictures so I’m not sure how I got 5 infringements.
There wasn’t three obvious copyright infringements. There was ONE. The one you showed me. The other two were Lisa Simpson playing saxophone which doesn’t have anything written on it. Same picture. There were 5 infringements.

Another time here you moderators gave me a copyright infringement when it was my friends meme . I purposely posted it to see what you’d say and I got blasted so knew this wasn’t copyright laws but something else.

And if you want to feel offended because I mentioned I’ve known many ‘non profit businesses’ who have made a fortune, I can’t help that. That’s your choice. If you want to insinuate that that’s what I meant I can’t help that either. Again, that’s your choice.

The only reason I mentioned it being about business was because you told me a few times that the original O.P. was helping to sell SYOS mouthpieces who refused to get a commercial licence yet was a business person. You said it got all ugly. Isn’t that BUSINESS? Thats why I brought it up.

THIS ^^^^ is exactly what I mean about being targeted. You obviously don’t like me and are letting me know just like you did with this guy.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Locality
Hampshire
In the case of "humor", what sometimes happens is that in a discussion that holds some benefit like an actual answer to a question, someone decides to blurt out a joke that the other doesn't get. This injects specious comments into an otherwise useful post and is a distraction, unless it's really funny. The problem is, "funny" is completely subjective.

I think many of us have done this, made an offhand comment or attempted a bit of humour and moved the original intention of the thread. I know I have. I think that's where the OT works really well. A quiet word, get the OT parts moved and if the humour or digression continues, so be it. I think I felt a bit disheartened the first time one of my comments was moved, but I then realised, it's just a function. A useful one too!

I think it's important that the 'social' aspect of the forum is given as much importance as the educational value. Also, many threads benefit from a bit of variation and diversion...I know you know that, but that's a real boon of this forum. It's educational, supportive and not too dry and serious..

I had to go look. It is the infamous incident. No further reference. So...

I'm going to be putting out a call for participants in another Café Saxophone Collaboration video soon. Will you be ready to provide footage (or is that 'metrage' ?) this time. There's a third one that I hope to share this week. Let's go full OT of the original OT and then some:

To take part in a CSC (Café Saxophone Collaboration), you need
  • a way to record saxophone audio of decent quality without other sounds
  • a way to record video of you playing it, preferably with the backing track audible on the video to make syncing easy
  • a way to post the files on a download site like Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, anywhere that allows a link without logging in.

And of course, an instrument and the ability and time to play it :)

sax panther

Café Supporter
Locality
UK
for what it's worth, I got a ticking off when I was a new member - I got drawn into a conversation about a possible mouthpiece buy/sell in a thread, rather than via the yardsale.

I got a message frrom Jeanette, I read the rules, I apologised, my apology was accepted, we all moved on and I'm now a subscriber.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Locality
Hampshire
for what it's worth, I got a ticking off when I was a new member - I got drawn into a conversation about a possible mouthpiece buy/sell in a thread, rather than via the yardsale.

I got a message frrom Jeanette, I read the rules, I apologised, my apology was accepted, we all moved on and I'm now a subscriber.

Exactly the same happened to me. Made an offhand comment, clearly came across in a way I didn't intend. Moderator picked me up on it. Best thing I did was to stand back and apologise. It wasn't personal.

I've been in some terrible bear pits of forums in the past. The worst one was a supposed Business Networking forum. Blimey, the tear ups and abuse dished out was unbelievable some times. However, there were some utterly unique and very interesting people on the forum, so it was worth it. It doesn't exist any more.

This place is a sane and pleasant place in an often unsane and unpleasant (Internet or otherwise) World..