Tutorials

OT - Amateur Radio Tooters?

Howard Long

I just came across the busking thread where I see that there are almost certainly some posters who are (or have been) licensed radio amateurs, eg, possibly Pee Dee, Old Git, Young Col. Anyone for a QSO? de G6LVB.

Last edited by a moderator:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Breaker, breaker, can I join your QSO? Your type's coming in at 9 plus 30. Running a mere 400 watts USB into a 5/8 CB unipole and it only bleeds over six adjacent channels.

Aiming to go pirate on the Crystal Palace two metre repeater with a handheld and a 500 watt booster, kinda QRP. Eleven five (that's one better than the normal).

Damn! Given it away.
QRT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Young Col

Howard, I was when I got it! Where do you think the "YC" came from? Looked you up in the callbook and wonder what antennas you can get up where you live?

Bill your grasp of the vernacular is touching. From where you live you could get into the Crystal Palace repeater with a few milliwatts - if there's an amateur repeater still on the mast (I thought it had been moved, but wouldn't know as I don't use it)! Best DX this week has been Morroco and a guy up near the arctic circle in Finland, where it was a lovely day and -20C (not a lot different to the UK then).

In a later post I will pick upon some research I did on jazz musicians who were radio amateurs.

Colin

OP
Howard Long

Howard Long

The roof is flat, so I can get away with more than you might think. HF is a bit of a disaster, with a simple loop and an SGC coupler. As you can see here, I'm mostly I'm a VHF and above fella. Haven't been on the radio for a little while from home though - the RF cables haven't been permanently refitted since some internal redecoration nearly a year ago. I can get up and running fairly quickly when I want to, it's just a faff having to tidy up afterwards. Plus, the sax is getting quite a lot of attention at the moment!

Cheers, Howard

Young Col

Nice stuff Howard and puts my modest array to shame. I'm mostly on HF, but I've got a logP for VHF/UHF and separate 1.3GHz receive and transmit antennas for ATV - don't use that much but I've built the same GH Engineering 1.3GHz PA as on your schematic. Never use 2m or 70cm though.

Martin, another. Welcome! Wonder what you use?

My usual active morning is Wednesday around 1030 when I have a chat on 80m with old friend G3ZEZ.

PeeDee is indeed also licensed, but I don't think he is active.

Colin

Young Col

Jazz musicans who were/are radio amateurs include:
Tex Beneke(K0HWY), well known tenor sax player and singer with Glenn Miller;
Jimmy Hamilton, clarinet player with Duke Ellington, held a Virgin Islands callsign in retirement but seems no trace of what his callsign was;
Benny Goodman - also noted in an article about Hamilton, but no-one can confirm it;
Chris Griffin, trumpeter with Goodman;
John Petters (G3YPZ) Top UK swing/traditional drummer (who also mentioned to me that Wild Bill Davison, Chicagoan cornetist was an old timer licensee, but not confirmed);
Pete Skivington (G3WMB) UK bass player, Alex Welsh band among others;
and a couple of other British musicians with G3--- callsigns;
plus of course those of us on Caf Sax here!

--.../...--

Colin

Stephen Howard

Ooerrr...I don't suppose any of you lot have heard of a character called Airy R Bean...the Chippenham Chump?

Regards,

OP
Howard Long

Howard Long

Sadly yes, and I have in the past taken more than my fair share of time trying to avoid dealing with said individual. In my experience, troll material to the nth degree. Gotta ask - have your paths crossed?

Cheers, Howard

Stephen Howard

Yes they have - and how!
He used to post on an engineering newsgroup - I had a a few run-ins with him, as did many others. We eventually got shot of him by all the group member agreeing to ignore him.

You might have seen my 'epic' poem about him - he once bought a self-build powered hacksaw kit, which he somehow managed to screw up. He claimed it was badly made, but refused to heed the advice from other group members that suggested he contact the seller and sort it out.
So, I wrote a poem about it...

http://groups.google.com/g/f847feef/t/53171b7f44a1bf3f/d/748580583fbf68b4

I later added another verse:

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Uk/uk.radio.amateur/2007-07/msg00197.html

Enjoy!

OP
Howard Long

Howard Long

LOL! A masterpiece!

I happen to have a hacked a Viz cartoon with him depicted in it hosted on a site of mine. As I remember the author (whomever that may be...) might've had a run in with him too, and by dint of a couple of wee drams one winter evening a few years ago came up with this.

Cheers, Howard

Stephen Howard

So, then, Humph
With your trumpet
Ta-rumph-rumph rumph
And your glamorous assistant.
Didn't I see you in Mornington Crescent?

Could be...could be...

Regards,

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom