All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Original Rock & Roll Backing Tracks.

compound

Hi All,
Does anybody know if there are Backing Track's out there that cover the original Rock & Roll tunes, instrumental as well as vocal. Thanks Rob.

RayL

Rock'n'roll B/Ts with the sax left out are a bit thin on the ground. One tune that I wanted to play (because everyone knows it and will shout out the hook) was The Champs' Tequila, so I made my own B/T (in F, the key of the record). You are very welcome to an MP3 of my effort.

Although I usually make my B/Ts from scratch, on that occasion I used the 'cheats method'. To do the same, you'll need a multitrack recorder of some kind (either computer-based or standalone unit). Then:
1. Record the original record on to a couple of tracks.

2. Play along to the record with whatever instruments you have and can play, and record them on separate tracks.

3. Mix down, while leaving out the original record. What you are left with is a B/T of the original arrangement in the same key and the same tempo but with the sax missing.

Looking at my notes for Tequila, these are the tracks that I recorded
1. Rhythm guitar
2. Clicky guitar
3. Bass guitar
4. Echo guitar (the bit behind the sax trill)
5. Handclap (live, through mic, for definition)
6. Handclaps (electronic, from electronic drums, a quick way to fill out the handclap sound)
7. Ride cymbal (electronic - there is a very distinctive pattern and was easier for me if I played it separately)
8. Snare and bass drum (electronic)

Once you have a multitrack recorder you can make it easier for yourself by splitting up the harder parts into sections.

A really useful feature for self-op multitrack is for your recorder to have drop-in recording using a footswitch. Retakes half-way through the track are a lot easier if you hands are ready on your instrument and you don't have to push a button with your finger or click a mouse.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:

compound

Hi Ray,
Thank's for the offer mate but i've been there years ago.I used an old Yamaha QX21 Sequencer and it took me ages, did the same for Peter Gunn. What i would really like is a CD full of the original numbers and keys as i'm sure you would too. I'm too lazy these days to do my own, but thank's again for the very kind offer. If i do happen to find anything i'll be sure to let you know.
Kind regards Rob.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Have a look for downloadable karaoke tracks. Ok, so they got the sax on, but it depends on how you are going to use them. Have you got any specifics in mind?

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
This is not going to be around for long so make the most of it. I was playing around with BiaB and ended up with this. It's in G and the tempo is 160, There is an 8 bar intro.

www.box.net/shared/ybymiezz0m34maslu91d

If anyone would like something along the same lines then let me know and we should be able to work it out.

Cheers

Chris

RayL

Picking up on Taz's suggestion, I've just found this site

http://www.karaoke-version.co.uk

Select their 'Custom Backing tracks'

These have all the recorded instruments and vocal as separate tracks, with a small mixer utility.

This means that in numbers featuring a sax, you can simply fade out the sax leaving all the other instuments and a vocal (or whatever combination you want)

They seem to have plenty of well-known rock'n'roll tunes available.

Ray

compound

Have a look for downloadable karaoke tracks. Ok, so they got the sax on, but it depends on how you are going to use them. Have you got any specifics in mind?
Hi Taz my old mate,
What i want is the old numbers minus sax and vocals, i know it's a big ask but you never know.
Rob

compound

Thanks Chris thats pretty good, but it isn't exactly what i was after. I really wanted same keys and tempo's, so i dont have to relearn anything. Thanks again mate.
Rob.

compound

Once again thank's Ray, i'll check it out . I went up to my mates tonight because he said he had the backing track to Peter Gunn in the original key. I started playing to it and it was very authentic except there was no second section, just the first, what a dissapointment and a rip off. Half a tune you can't do much with that.
Rob.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom