opinion on scale learning,

With my teacher, I learned 2-3 major scales a week, and once I had all the major scales, I learned 2 scale series a week. It really depends on your level of playing.

jbtsax

old and opinionated
Subscriber
"Learning" is a term that is a bit vague. I would recommend memorizing one scale at a time, getting it under your fingers up and down 2 or 3 octaves at a brisk tempo before moving on to the next. Also it is best to go around the circle of 5ths so you change just one note going from one scale to the next. Good luck.

Caz

Play what you are having difficulty with. (Maybe) Set yourself the goal of being able to play the scale and arpeggios at 110bpm before moving on. And as JBT suggested, play in as many octaves as you can.

randulo

Saxoholic Me
Subscriber
My teacher recommended starting in C and moving up in fourths, but as one comments says, it depends a lot of the individual and also the time he or she has to practice.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Once you have any one scale sorted, vary how you play it - straight, swung, one tongued + 3 slured (very baroque!) etc. Then up and down in thirds = C E D F E G F A etc all the way to the top of your scale and back down again

Then once the major scales are sorted, head for the harmonic, then melodic, then Jazz melodic minors! Pentatonics major & minor , blues, then ...
and all from memory, no sheet music.

chekre

Once you have any one scale sorted, vary how you play it - straight, swung, one tongued + 3 slured (very baroque!) etc. Then up and down in thirds = C E D F E G F A etc all the way to the top of your scale and back down again

Then once the major scales are sorted, head for the harmonic, then melodic, then Jazz melodic minors! Pentatonics major & minor , blues, then ...
and all from memory, no sheet music.
this is kind of my goal right now......I put this on a large piece of 3x4 feet super large index board hung on door....any comments??
IMG_8183.JPG

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
"Learning" is a term that is a bit vague. I would recommend memorizing one scale at a time, getting it under your fingers up and down 2 or 3 octaves at a brisk tempo before moving on to the next. Also it is best to go around the circle of 5ths so you change just one note going from one scale to the next. Good luck.
I like this advice....

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
- And - instead of my writing it out - a little info on scale practice here:
Beginners Saxophone:
and click on the link to - First Steps on the Saxophone
It's only a few paragraphs but the advice from PeteT, e.g.
". . . . To begin with you should alternate between thinking the names of the notes as you play them and thinking the numbers of the notes. . . . ."
If you do it now on the first few scales you work on you'll find it very helpful in learning the rest and will certainly come in mighty handy as you progress on your road to becoming a proficient player.

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
Do you have a sore throat? Let me get my lollipop stick and a MagLite.
AHHHH! Yes, the 6th in the scale of C.
the 5th in the scale of D
the 4th in the scale of E
the 3rd in the scale of F
but watch out it's also the minor 3rd in the scale of F# minor
and so on and on and on . . . ;) Have fun

Jazzaferri

Subscriber
My teacher recommended starting in C and moving up in fourths, but as one comments says, it depends a lot of the individual and also the time he or she has to practice.
thats the same as going counterclockwise around the circle which is how we were taught at jazz school. I suggest clean 1/8ths at 120 bpm before moving on from bottom to top including bell and palm notes. Scales and thirds and scalar exercises. Lots of those in Taming the Sax books or others

chekre

Do you have a sore throat? Let me get my lollipop stick and a MagLite.
AHHHH! Yes, the 6th in the scale of C.
the 5th in the scale of D
the 4th in the scale of E
the 3rd in the scale of F
but watch out it's also the minor 3rd in the scale of F# minor
and so on and on and on . . . ;) Have fun
ok you are way ahead of me my friend may just explain the 6th in the scale of C.....

Top Bottom