support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Opening my ears

Taz

Busking Oracle
Thanks to Internet streaming, I've really started listening to so much more music. I knew I loved the tones of the likes of Ben Webster and after listening to him play those soft mellow and breathy tones, I want more. Can anyone recommend what I've heard, and read, described as "After hours soul." Ben's album Soulville pretty much sums up what I mean, especially the track "Ill wind" the double bass, brushed drums and piano just do it for me at the moment.
So for all you 1945's 1950's fans, what should I have a listen too?

c9off

Some while ago, Pandora intenet radio was available in the UK; what this offered was to link similar artists from your search string, giving you a playlist compiled by knowledge.

Unfortunately this is not available in the UK now, but a number of others are, this is one of them:

http://musicovery.com/

In it's basic (free!) form it charts from Ben to Joe Henderson, Coleman Hawkins Sonny Rollins etc etc.. also links to itunes & other purchase sites..

I'm sure there are many others, some better?... check out Pandora's page on wiki as a starting point.

chadders

Subscriber
I have just been reborn with a sax in my hand.
Love it !

Well I'm too new to this art form to make any specific recommendations and would love to hear more myself. The two people who have nearly tempted me to purchase a tenor to sit alongside my alto are Ben Webster and Lester Young. They both have a really wonderful breathy style of playing.

The saxophone chanel on www.accujazz.com can cycle through some great music.

Chad

Young Col

Pete
I've got Soulville and as an addition in similar vein I'd recommend Ben Webster meets Oscar Peterson, issued first on Verve, but may be available as downloads. It's with Peterson (obviously!) and Ray Brown on bass again, but Ed Thigpen rather than Stan Levey on drums, but certainly none the worse for that. Lots of those scoops and un-tongued breathy articulations that make him so great.
Enjoy!
Colin

Saxlicker

Taz,
I love Ben too!
But regarding your question is it the soft breathy tone in this style exclusively or are you after this style with a variety of tones?

I mean there are many many sax ballads that do the same thing for me and each player sounds different.

OP
Taz

Taz

Busking Oracle
Thanks for all the replies folks, Fishpond, yup, that's the one, but I want more of similar. Thanks c9off those are the sorts of places to look, I guess what I'm looking for is the sound track from any Mickey Spillane style film, that slow moody jazz of the smoke filled speak easy. You know the type of thing I mean?

Taz,
I love Ben too!
But regarding your question is it the soft breathy tone in this style exclusively or are you after this style with a variety of tones?

I mean there are many many sax ballads that do the same thing for me and each player sounds different.
I think your right Saxlicker, if you were to listen to too much of a similar thing it would become monotonous, so yes lets have some different flavours to throw into the mix.

This might help you decide who else you want to listen to Pete.

http://www.last.fm/music/Ben+Webster/+similar

Of course there's always Stan the Man ;-)
Thanks Dave, I guess he always Getz results! :thankyou:

Please don't suggest any Bebop, I can't get my head around it!

OP
Taz

Taz

Busking Oracle
Thanks for your efforts Saxlicker, but when I try to open them, nothing happens. It could be my pc, but other youtube links do work ok, is anyone else having trouble, or is it just me?

Saxlicker

Thanks for your efforts Saxlicker, but when I try to open them, nothing happens. It could be my pc, but other youtube links do work ok, is anyone else having trouble, or is it just me?
I've redone the links Taz.
I will have to work out how to do the youtube tags.... I was putting the http address in there.
What do you do?

EDIT
OK it's amazing what happens when you read instructions!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Taz

Taz

Busking Oracle
:welldone
EDIT
OK it's amazing what happens when you read instructions!!!
:thankyou:

The man's a genius, whats more you've given me exactly what I was after I can see why Skylark is your favourite. Is it Scots interpretation that draws you to it, or is it just the soothing melody?

SaxinNZ

Some while ago, Pandora intenet radio was available in the UK; what this offered was to link similar artists from your search string, giving you a playlist compiled by knowledge.

Unfortunately this is not available in the UK now,...

Oh yes it is:D

Get access through a random US proxy server (see below)

Public CGI Proxies - the easiest method. Randomly chooses a public proxy server; all you have to do is enter the Pandora.com address and enjoy the melodies.

OP
Taz

Taz

Busking Oracle
Thanks Steve, thats another one for me to look into, I loved his tone and style. 10 out of 10

visionari1

Those were great Video links Saxlicker, loved the Getz rendidition of Round About Midnight.......just goes to show you don't need to stray very far from the melody to sound fantastic...interesting both Scott Hamilton and Stan Getz play with eyes closed, gotta b something in that!

Thanks for that post:welldone

Cheers & Ciao
Jimu:mrcool

Pee Dee

What's all this 40's 50's interest? A sign of growing up. Do you still listen to radio 1 or have you graduated to radio 2 yet?
I prefer Lester Young, and Houston Person to Dexter Gordon.
HP good for playing along to, he tends to stick to the tune, with impro in middle and at end.;}

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Those were great Video links Saxlicker, loved the Getz rendidition of Round About Midnight.......just goes to show you don't need to stray very far from the melody to sound fantastic...interesting both Scott Hamilton and Stan Getz play with eyes closed, gotta b something in that!

Thanks for that post:welldone

Cheers & Ciao
Jimu:mrcool
Agree these are great links.

On the eyes - I often listen to music with my eyes closed - toomany distractions otherwise. And as I start to learn tunes and pick them out, I also close my eyes to concentrate on the sounds...

Young Col

PeeDee, an interesting observation. I took some Dexter Gordon with me on a trip last week and had plenty of time to listen - it took an hour and half to do 9 miles on the M25! Very good, but he just doesn't have the presence or greatness of the President - for me anyway. I must have the majority of Pres' recorded work and it never loses freshness. The Lady Be Good solo from 1936 sounds as good now as when I first heard it some 40 years ago. Houston Person is not really up to the same level as either Dexter or Pres, but he is still very good and very listenable and is on my Christmas list for more of him.
Colin

Top Bottom