All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Opening Gap on HR Mouthpiece

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I have been given an old no name Romanian HR mouthpiece (thanks Jim !!) which plays and sounds nice apart from that it has about a 3 or 4 Gap . the piece looks like a Yamaha inside and out except that it`s not plastic . even with a 3 reed on it`s too narrow so would like to open it up to a 6 or so . I know this is a "black art" but I can`t see the harm in trying, it`s not a slant link or a rare Brilhart or anything .. I assume you`d need a very flat surface and a few sheets of wet and dry ..

Any Info would be appreciated - John JBT - Griff ?

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Pretty good - I`ll take a look at the link (bad pun) - Thanks

altissimo

Locality
leicester
from what I've read, there's a limit to how far you can open up a mouthpiece before you run out of tip rail.. some refacers will only open up a tip opening by about .010" - after that you have to start changing the angle of the table...
Or you could just try a 3 1/2 or 4 reed first, before you start doing things that might wreck your mouthpiece

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I don't understand how it can be too small if it plays and sounds nice. Try writing a numer 9 on it to make you feel better.

Changing the cut of the reed may make a big difference.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I`ll check that Vid Jim, thanks ....

.... As I said, it Octaves at the drop of a hat and can`t get enough air through the gap to make the bell notes sound sweet (before it overblows) ....

Altissimo - the piece is an old Romanian freebie, there`s no way I`d want to try hacking my Yani 5 , it`ll be interesting to see how it goes

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom