All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Open Mic Nights

Nickg8

The ensemble that I play with have just done our first open mic night. I think it went ok, considering we have got two more bookings from it.
Anyway, it has given me the "bug" my question is would it be acceptable to use sheet music at an open mic night as I can't play anything from memory (must be an age thing) ?

Thanks

Nick

Last edited by a moderator:

dooce

The ensemble that I play with have just done our first open mic night. I think it went ok, considering we have got two more bookings from it.
Anyway, it has given me the "bug" my question is would it be acceptable to use sheet music at an open mic night as I can't play anything from memory (must be an age thing) ?

Thanks

Nick

Who is going to decide that it's unacceptable? The open mic nights I have been to don't have sheet music police! I guess it might look a bit "uncool" but it depends on the other participants. If there are real musos there, shouldn't be a problem - if it's full of posers who care about such stuff, you are probably best off not being there in the first place!

Where are planning on going Nick?

Profusia

Well done you! I'd too would be intrigued to learn more about where these are held as (a) I might be tempted to come along and have a listen, and (b) I aspire to having a bash at open mic myself some time (when I feel I'm good enough!)

Re playing by ear, I played in brass bands in my teens and could never play anything by ear. I find the sax lends itself better to playing by ear but I still find that if I play something from music I can't play it by ear. Not even a couple of bars. However, what works for me is picking out a tune myself without music, slowly, sometimes painfully, and playing it that way it sticks, sort of, short term at least. So my advice is, if you want to play by ear, pick a piece, don't even look at the music, pick out the notes by ear, and play it through a couple of times every day right up to the gig. Having said that I haven't been brave enough to try that yet so what do I know! lol I've been asked to play a family wedding though in August and am hoping to commit a few tunes to memory for that and to improvise some of them too. Better get my finger out!

Bobby G

Basically, Nick, whatever gets you through it. I wouldn't worry about seeming uncool (this happens when you get older, coolness doesn't matter! Not that I ever was;}). Remember, the main thing is that it's an informal session and everyone is there for a good time, the musicians and the audience (hopefully!)

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Café Supporter
Most jam nights I've been to over the years have a "Book Of Words" for the singists, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Anything goes really.

trimmy

One day i will...
The jam night I attend each tuesday has music stands and a couple of the artists that play use sheet music but very rarely use it (or so it appears) it could just be for comfort.
Well done on the jam night :welldone

Ps. Profusia, if I was at your standard of playing I would be well up for playing a jam night but i can understand what your saying "when you feel good enough"

Nickg8

Thanks for all the advice.
I will have to get three or four pieces that I am confident in playing and then thrust myself on to the unsuspecting world of open mic.
It will probably be here on a Sunday night. http://www.thetinangel.co.uk/
I guess it will be a bit different playing on my own to playing with five other saxophones an a bass guitar.
When I pluck up the courage I will let you know, hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Thanks

Nick

ArtyLady

I've been to jams where other sax players have had music, nothing wrong with that at all.

Personally I prefer to transcribe by ear as once it's under the fingers it tends to stay there and I can play it more naturally. When I've learned a piece from the music first I find it much harder to let go of the music! :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
When I've learned a piece from the music first I find it much harder to let go of the music!

I'm in the same boat

But then there are likely to be different bits of brain involved in reading and storing written music compared to listening repeating and storing what you hear so getting the music back out of your brain and into your fingers might require a different thought pattern

Profusia

The jam night I attend each tuesday has music stands and a couple of the artists that play use sheet music but very rarely use it (or so it appears) it could just be for comfort.
Well done on the jam night :welldone

Ps. Profusia, if I was at your standard of playing I would be well up for playing a jam night but i can understand what your saying "when you feel good enough"

Do you merely "attend" or do you do a turn?

Thanks for your kind PS :blush: (embarrassed). But you'll only have heard my sound clips after gazillions of takes and editing etc. Standing up and playing in public on a get it bang on right first time, no stopping, no restarts, and no hiding basis is VERY different.

Colin the Bear

It's never bang on live. That's the thrill. Great when it works, better luck next time if it doesn't. Any bum notes are gone in an instant. No instant replay. First time you won't be able to play for nerves so why waste time getting perfect when it won't be lol. And as far as looking cool goes....If I waited till I looked cool.... well....I'm still waiting

Profusia

It's never bang on live. That's the thrill. Great when it works, better luck next time if it doesn't. Any bum notes are gone in an instant. No instant replay. First time you won't be able to play for nerves so why waste time getting perfect when it won't be lol. And as far as looking cool goes....If I waited till I looked cool.... well....I'm still waiting

Well I asked for that by I using the phrase "bang on perfect" when in reality I'm still a million miles from ever being perfect even after 20 takes and extensive cutting and pasting. But its a matter of degree isn't it. I've never been to an open mic night so I don't know what the standard is like. My assumption is that its a lot higher than I'm capable of as yet, and even if its not I'd still want to be better than I am right now. I'm working my way round to it slowly. Will try to at least get to one for a listen soon.

jazzdoh

I have been gigging (jazz)for over 15 years,still take my music and so does the rest of the band and some have been playing twice as long as me,its not that i can't play without it because i can but its become a habit i am happy to keep.

When i did dep work a few years ago i would just carry a few realbooks and the band would just pick out numbers to do,now i am only with one band its a lot more organised but i still like the music in front of me.

Nickg8

Well I asked for that by I using the phrase "bang on perfect" when in reality I'm still a million miles from ever being perfect even after 20 takes and extensive cutting and pasting. But its a matter of degree isn't it. I've never been to an open mic night so I don't know what the standard is like. My assumption is that its a lot higher than I'm capable of as yet, and even if its not I'd still want to be better than I am right now. I'm working my way round to it slowly. Will try to at least get to one for a listen soon.

I just listened to what a good day, believe me you have got nothing to worry about if that's what you can do.

Nick

Colin the Bear

Get up and have a go. You might find you like it. You only need to get one piece ready.

Profusia

I just listened to what a good day, believe me you have got nothing to worry about if that's what you can do.

Nick

Wow! Thanks for searching me out and listening - I'm honoured and flattered. But that will have been ON a good day after numerous takes and edits.

Okay guys okay I'll get working on a couple of pieces and find a venue.

trimmy

One day i will...
Do you merely "attend" or do you do a turn?

Oooooo I just 'attend' and try to pick tips up and over the months there has been a few singers and players who have sounded a bit off, so to say, but I've still appreciated the fact that they have got up and contributed (more than i'm doing)

One day, one day :D

Profusia

Oooooo I just 'attend' and try to pick tips up and over the months there has been a few singers and players who have sounded a bit off, so to say, but I've still appreciated the fact that they have got up and contributed (more than i'm doing)

One day, one day :D

Well I'm getting encouraged (or is it badgered) so I think I need to badg.. er I mean encourage you to have a go too! :) Time you did us some BOTMs as well by the way! ;}

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom