All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Open College of Art - Photography Degree

half diminished

I find myself gravitating towards doing some distance learning and this degree course at the OCA has caught my eye. It seems from talking with them that I may be able to claim some 'Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning' based on my 30+ years as a 'tog and my LRPS & LBPPA certification.

Anyone out there done/doing this course?

Last edited by a moderator:

thehunt

Hi Ian, good to see you last saturday. Hope the lesson went well.
If you are not doing it for professional reasons check out the photographers formulary in Montana ( workshops ) they do some great workshops. Get a great holiday and learn something at the same time. Also check out Tim Rudman's site, as he is now encompassing digital photography into his lith printing which is photgraphic art. He taught me to print. You may well be biased to digital ( i'm still smelly man in shed in chemical's ) I would glady show you some stuff.
I did once think about doing a photography degree but i am not interested in digital that much. Why dont you do you your FRPS? Not easy to get. Cheers Phil
I find myself gravitating towards doing some distance learning and this degree course at the OCA has caught my eye. It seems from talking with them that I may be able to claim some 'Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning' based on my 30+ years as a 'tog and my LRPS & LBPPA certification.

Anyone out there done/doing this course?

Last edited by a moderator:

half diminished

Thought about it, but it's too expensive for a non-resident.
Kev

Not so cheap for a resident either! If I can get exemption from 3 or maybe even 5 of the 7 modules it'll save a fortune. If I finally decide this the way to go I guess I'll have to see how the assessment goes.

Hi Ian, good to see you last saturday. Hope the lesson went well.
If you are not doing it for professional reasons check out the photographers formulary in Montana ( workshops ) they do some great workshops. Get a great holiday and learn something at the same time. Also check out Tim Rudman's site, as he is now encompassing digital photography into his lith printing which is photgraphic art. He taught me to print. You may well be biased to digital ( i'm still smelly man in shed in chemical's ) I would glady show you some stuff.
I did once think about doing a photography degree but i am not interested in digital that much. Why dont you do you your FRPS? Not easy to get. Cheers Phil
Phil

Yeh, great to see you too.... and if I'm honest pleased that was Karen playing and not you I heard else it'd be time to give up! You still up for that joint lesson some time? Karen tells me you're working on How High The Moon is that right? She's got me working on it for my next lesson

but that's not for about 4 weeks :crying:

I think it'll be the degree rather than anything like you suggest though I'm also talking to a professional street and wedding 'tog I know about some mentoring which I'll do anyway. I'm fed up with Camera Clubs and the poor/inconsistent judging at comps and posting on photo critique fora is a wast of space too. I have my LRPS and am prepping for my ARPS for submission early next year.

As for the FRPS, it's not so much a question of being hard but meeting some obscure undisclosed criteria/standard - I know a number of very good 'togs who have failed at FRPS and for no good reason I can see whereas other achieve the required level with less than outstanding nor truly original work. So in all honesty I don't hold out much hope of achieving my FRPS.

I still have a Leica LTM and 5 OM film cameras but other than developing the odd film or three my chemical days are long gone and I'm just a digi man - mrs hd puts up with a lot but we don't have the room for a wet darkroom and I won't get a yes if I ask for one!

To be honest, after that initial wow from seeing my first photographic appear in the developer tray I don't think I'd get much more than I do now from using PS after shooting RAW, as I always do.

thehunt

Joint lesson is good idea but i am away in two weeks then have a trade show in Paris in Oct so wont really be available for another lesson till end Oct. Also it is 48 miles away from where i live so not so easy to have lessons as regularly with her as i would like. Mind you she is bloody good, she really pushed me last Saturday.
I have friends who gave up their jobs about 6 years ago to become wedding photographers, they are very good and my mate actually comes from a computing background so is very handy with photoshop etc. They are shutting down their business next year as they just dont get the bookings these days. Most people have digital cameras ( but that does not mean that they can take good photos though ) and people are not prepared to pay thousands for something even though they will have the photos all their lives. Tim Rudmann whom i mentioned was a practicing GP and photography was his hobby, he is now the worlds leading exponent on lith printing and has written books and teaches all over the world, he is in fact in Sydney now doing some courses. It seems that fine art printing is doing what vinyl has done, it has a following and discerning collectors are out there realising that photography is an art form.
Anyway enough of my ramble this a sax forum.
Oh! By the way, you have upset me now as you make me sound like i'm crap cos it was Karen playing. In fact it was both of us when you were outside. So there!!!! You'd better get practicing >:)
Kev

Not so cheap for a resident either! If I can get exemption from 3 or maybe even 5 of the 7 modules it'll save a fortune. If I finally decide this the way to go I guess I'll have to see how the assessment goes.

Phil

Yeh, great to see you too.... and if I'm honest pleased that was Karen playing and not you I heard else it'd be time to give up! You still up for that joint lesson some time? Karen tells me you're working on How High The Moon is that right? She's got me working on it for my next lesson

but that's not for about 4 weeks :crying:

I think it'll be the degree rather than anything like you suggest though I'm also talking to a professional street and wedding 'tog I know about some mentoring which I'll do anyway. I'm fed up with Camera Clubs and the poor/inconsistent judging at comps and posting on photo critique fora is a wast of space too. I have my LRPS and am prepping for my ARPS for submission early next year.

As for the FRPS, it's not so much a question of being hard but meeting some obscure undisclosed criteria/standard - I know a number of very good 'togs who have failed at FRPS and for no good reason I can see whereas other achieve the required level with less than outstanding nor truly original work. So in all honesty I don't hold out much hope of achieving my FRPS.

I still have a Leica LTM and 5 OM film cameras but other than developing the odd film or three my chemical days are long gone and I'm just a digi man - mrs hd puts up with a lot but we don't have the room for a wet darkroom and I won't get a yes if I ask for one!

To be honest, after that initial wow from seeing my first photographic appear in the developer tray I don't think I'd get much more than I do now from using PS after shooting RAW, as I always do.

half diminished

Oh! By the way, you have upset me now as you make me sound like i'm crap cos it was Karen playing. In fact it was both of us when you were outside. So there!!!! You'd better get practicing >:)
Not at all but in all fairness she's a little better that either of us. Your playing was great but just a tad below her level. You should have hung about to hear me play - you'd have had a laugh!

You didn't answer - are you working on How High The Moon? Just let me know when you are due for a lesson and maybe we can hook up then if I am free.

thehunt

I give you that she is better than us both although i have not heard your dulcet tones yet on their own.
She suggested i work on how high the moon and listen to a Sonny Rollins version of it. I am doing it out of the " It don't mean a thing " book.
Would be really up for hooking up and playing even if it is not at Karens. Will let you know in a few weeks. :w00t:

Not at all but in all fairness she's a little better that either of us. Your playing was great but just a tad below her level. You should have hung about to hear me play - you'd have had a laugh!

You didn't answer - are you working on How High The Moon? Just let me know when you are due for a lesson and maybe we can hook up then if I am free.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom