support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Oops I Did it Again - I Just Bought a 2nd Sopranino

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
A friend came over on Saturday and asked about my sopranino as he had a hankering to blow one. He is a fine jazz musician who plays flute, clarinet, electric bass, tenor horn as well lovely soprano, alto and tenor sax.

I told him that he wouldn't enjoy my Orsi curved soprano and pointed him at the (harsh but fair) review of it written by @Stephen Howard . Orsi sopranino saxophone review

As my friend's budget for a 'nino wouldn't be high I suggested that he look out for one of the Far Eastern copies of the Yanagisawa sopranino which are supposed to be quite good for the money.

Then on Sunday I made the mistake of looking on eBay to see what was available. And I found this new but marked Bauhaus Sopranino for a fairly reasonable £400. Bauhaus Sopranino Saxophone | eBay

Now it's heading my way - but if it's any good I will lend it to my friend and see what he makes of it.

Rhys

We ought to have a GAS emoji.
Good luck with the nino.

As someone who currently owns five sopraninos I can say that they definitely have distinctive voices ranging from mellow to screamers...just like all the other saxes. Good on you Rhys. Enjoy and hopefully your friend will too.

One of my sopraninos is a R&C copper. Bright and sassy with perfect intonation (for a sopranino).

Reactions: MMM
Talking about price, at £9,799 a piece, I bet they don't sell many of these: Selmer SE-SO2S Sopranino Sax

It would take more than just a GAS attack. In fact, this could be a murder weapon.

"Oh, Darling, see what I just purchased on a whim!" >:)

I just had a first play on the Bauhaus this morning. There are some minor issues with the octave mechanism so I have contacted the seller about getting that sorted out.

The two octave pads are not working together properly and I think the needle springs are too light and one is coming out of its cradle. The top octave pad doesn't fully close and the lower octave pad doesn't open when it should. The end result is that the lower octave isn't sounding correctly and keeps squeaking up into the high register.

Hopefully that is something that a repairer can sort out quite quickly.

Rhys

Sounds like a straight forward fix for someone with small hands and good eyesight. ;)

Despite fat fingers and dodgy eyesight I seem to have got the octave mechanism working. The springs are really weak but one of the two was the wrong side of its cradle.

Rhys new nino with other saxes.JPG

Here it is, sleeping quietly with some friends.

A million points if anyone identifies them all, from left to right. The new Bauhaus 'nino is one in from the left with a Yanagisawa metal mouthpiece that seems to suit it.

Rhys

I have always wanted to add sopranino, but it has not been in the cards.
Congrats on the addition.

Back
Top Bottom