support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
  • All posts re: Fake (counterfeit) saxophones and scams are now in their own subforum here:

Fakes and Scams

Saxophones Ooops....The Cat Got Out Of The Bag Accidently, But All Is Okay.

Jazz Is All

Café Supporter
Locality
Barcelona, Spain
At 4 a.m. last night while getting a bit antsy about the clock ticking down towards arrival day I had a brainstorm. I realized the best way to get the new baby into the house and still be alive to play with it is to make it a gift from them to me for having been such a good husband and dad for the past two years. First, it's not unjustified because I have been the main doer during this enforced confinement since April, going out and shopping all the time while my wife stays in and safe. I have to say that one of the others of you gave me the hint by saying your daughter was buying it for you even though that was just a front. I decided that that same statement would work but changed to "Both you and Andy bought it for me for being such a great husband and dad during this difficult year. Thank you so much for such a wonderful present. And to show my appreciation you don't have to pay even a penny for it."

This was the plan....to say that as I opened the box on arrival day, which is supposed to be tomorrow or Wednesday. Unfortunately, the best laid plans etc. etc because this afternoon I went into the study and found my wife at the computer. It was open to the Post office page for tracking the package, and I was a bit surprised. I always leave my tabs open but just close the top of the laptop and obviously when she used it and closed hers that was the one left on top. I asked her innocently what she was looking at, and she said oh I was just checking blady blah about blah blah blah. It sounded legit and I sat down at the Mac and closed out that tab, but unfortunately the eBay page with my new sax and all the saxes I had followed was next in line. There it was in full glory, in Spanish, with the price showing. Oh Sxxx!

I closed it as fast as I could, but she said, You're looking at saxes, aren't you?.... Me? NO! ....Yes you are. You've bought a saxophone, haven't you? No, not at all....uhhhmmm.....(now I'm in a pickle....how can I swear no when it's about to show up in 2 days?) ....well.....(I wasn't prepared to tell her in advance but now there was no choice.).....well no.....You and Andy bought it for me....for my Biirthday. She goes, WHAT?? You spent 550 euros on a sax when the other one still hasn't sold? And you want me to pay for it??

But it was very wishy washy complaining because she is used to my sax habits and when I explained how it was my Birthday present after getting nothing for years and it was only 550 and of course you don't have to pay a cent and you realize that my TT probably needs to be repadded and if this one is better I'll sell that one and still break even because I got it for a song 13 years ago bla bla kiss kiss ....So she says, but of course you won't play it until your Birthday next weekend, right? What!! Come'on Honey, you know I have to play it when it comes.....Yes I know....And I came out smelling like a Rose. Not for nothing am I named Rosenthal because I am Mighty Like A Rose in close marital combat.

So now it is clear going until the arrival moment, which of course I can't wait for. I think I need a tranquilizer....first new sax in 4 years and I'm like an 8 year old.

Jazz Is All

Café Supporter
Locality
Barcelona, Spain
This is one of the joys (or problems) of single life...no handbrake.
I know. I was single for a long, long time between marriages. The thing is you can go over the falls without a barrel when you don't have that other half of the joint enterprise there trying to control your own worst impulses. That's the reason I think many men refer to their wives as their better half--she's the one who keeps them from going whole hog off the deep end without thinking things through or causing them to stop and consider the possible consequences of an action before charging ahead. Even when that is a pain in the butt, it is often what we need to be shown because so many guys are really just incorrigible boys regardless of their age. Hell, I'm going to be 77 and do you think I haven't thought about the logic of getting another sax when I have 1 of each except bari? It's not logical to buy this sax, but logic be damned. I wanted it and I'm getting it, and I'm going to enjoy it and the whole world can be damned if they try and stop me. So there!!

taiwanpaul

I know. I was single for a long, long time between marriages. The thing is you can go over the falls without a barrel when you don't have that other half of the joint enterprise there trying to control your own worst impulses. That's the reason I think many men refer to their wives as their better half--she's the one who keeps them from going whole hog off the deep end without thinking things through or causing them to stop and consider the possible consequences of an action before charging ahead. Even when that is a pain in the butt, it is often what we need to be shown because so many guys are really just incorrigible boys regardless of their age. Hell, I'm going to be 77 and do you think I haven't thought about the logic of getting another sax when I have 1 of each except bari? It's not logical to buy this sax, but logic be damned. I wanted it and I'm getting it, and I'm going to enjoy it and the whole world can be damned if they try and stop me. So there!!
Just make sure you don't leave this page/thread opened on your computer! Wouldn't want the wife reading this!!!

Targa

Among the pigeons
Locality
KIC 8462852
"I am Mighty Like A Rose in close marital combat."
You've seen the film 'The War of the Roses'?

Jazz Is All

Café Supporter
Locality
Barcelona, Spain
That's more like it

... But... It would seem logical to get a bari
It would if they weren't so bloody expensive and if I could even lift one now. I would love to "try" one but I would only be able to play it on a playing stand. Due to the natural loudness of a bari I would only be able to play it and at times of the day when nobody is home in the building. So I'll just leave it as an unfulfilled interest.

Wonko

Locality
Belgium
It would if they weren't so bloody expensive and if I could even lift one now. I would love to "try" one but I would only be able to play it on a playing stand. Due to the natural loudness of a bari I would only be able to play it and at times of the day when nobody is home in the building. So I'll just leave it as an unfulfilled interest.

I find that my tenor is louder than my bari.
Of course the low frequency's travel a bit better than higher frequencies in buildings

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
My wife always knows... she looks at me and says "What have you done?"
I always start with "Well..."
And then I explain why it's such an important/bargain/necessary/rare/unusual/iconic/beautiful/etc buy.

Jazz Is All

Café Supporter
Locality
Barcelona, Spain
My wife always knows... she looks at me and says "What have you done?"
I always start with "Well..."
And then I explain why it's such an important/bargain/necessary/rare/unusual/iconic/beautiful/etc buy.
Actually, all the above and more. There are inexplicable, cosmic reasons as well that you can't explain but are very significant spiritually for you and not to be trifled with.

Top Bottom