All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Ooops - I've bought a Hanson. Only 'cos I like the keyguard!

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
:)

Having a couple of Yamaha Alto Vitos and a YAS-23 knocking around the place, all with the pretty one-piece bell key guard, I spied a Hanson SA-5 Eclipse with similar keyguard and recalled Alastair Hanson explaining its superiority to the YAS-280 (well, I'm guessing the Vito and YAS-23 would be too).

So, it's on its way to me.

I'll add it to my upcoming YAS-23 and Vito mini review, although apart from the different Vito colours (S/N 160116 - soldered bell. Deep gold colour. S/N 505901 - soldered bell. Slightly lighter deep gold than the earlier model) all three play almost exactly the same. The newer Vito (late 80's I think) is my favourite and has joined the SDA in my "I really don't need x more Altos but I can't quite bring myself to sell this" collection.

Last night I was comparing the later Vito to my Buffet 400. Not much in it. The Vito is lighter and packs one hell of a punch! More dated keywork of course. I wonder how the SA-5 will fare...?

;}

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I think one has to be a player of serious talent, experience and ability to nuance the subtle differences and get the best out of some saxophones. Their collectability and intrinsic attractiveness notwithstanding.

thesaxman71

from my experience i always notice all the subtle differences in saxes, for me the buffet 400 eclipsed the yas23 and vito but i never tried the Hanson, maybe on my to do (for fun) list.
feel free to send it to me to play test it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
I think one has to be a player of serious talent, experience and ability to nuance the subtle differences and get the best out of some saxophones. Their collectability and intrinsic attractiveness notwithstanding.

I thank you....

;}

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Hanson has always been off my Radar regarding Saxes - rather like Buffet, they make excellent Clarinets and make them themselves but with the Saxes you never know who made what or who made what when .. in the higher models (8 series), even so much as who made what part where and when .. I guess it doesn`t matter if the horn is good but given that there are hanson Saxes dating quite back a long way, it doesn`t make it easy when making a decision to buy a particular horn if you don`t get to play it first..

The Clarinets are simpler, they`re all made in Yorkshire and are excellent . I like Buffet Clarinets too .

Saxdiva

Older, wiser, should know better....
Locality
Burgess Hill, West Sussex
With Hanson, they used to say they did horns (HA8 at £899) to compete with Yamaha, Yani and Selmer at 1/3 price as there is no middle man.

Their "MkVi" alike costs £1650. Not sure what they did to it to make it so much more expensive than their pro HA8. Or did they just guess that a good MKVI can cost £4500 to £5000 and just take a 1/3 of it for the sale price??

That's very, very steep for a potentially Taiwanese-made horn, just because it is part assembled in the UK. I imagine the resale value if you buy a new one might plummet.

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom