SYOS

Oooooops i've done it again

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi everybody

Gas is such an awful thing isn't it ?and I've got it bad it seems.I was trolling ebay as usual and came across this sale of a LYON and HEALY alto sax it actually looked in an awful state but had a start price of £199 on a 7 day sale,it went through twice with no bites.

Second time around I thought I might put in a last minute bid of the start price but fortunately I forgot about it and it came around a third time with no start price or very low one anyway and a couple of bids on it at £85 so I put one in and won at £87 some time later so still little interest eh.

An interesting thing had happened whilst this was going on.An identical sax had been put on ebay this was in immaculate condition and had a start price in the region of £1000.00,it didn't sell as I recall but this got me thinking that someone thought they had a real quality sax and wanted proper money for it.

Anybody interested the no of my sale is 250611266410 and it finished 12/04/10 at 17:50 you might be able find it in the finished sales,there are a few pics of the offending article and I don't know how to import them from there.

I'm now going to try to put some of my own pics in for you to look at your comments will be appreciated.

Well that didn't work very well I opened the paper clip window, opened my album slid the picture across which immediately filled the window and left me no options to pick to import it these things are a total mystery to me and really annoying.:(:confused:

OP
gladsaxisme

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi kev

I do know who made it,it's a martin stencil with some quite interesting features.The octave mechanism is unlike anything I've seen before but difficult to describe, that's why I would like to post some pics.Also the G# key is naturally sprung open but kept closed by what I think is the C# mechanism.Also the palm keys are inter connected so you only have to hold the key for the one you want and not all of them as you go up.

I would like to know if any of the more knowledgeable on the forum have come across this make before and know what quality of sax it is

I wouldn't mind a bit of help on how to put the pics up

I read your post about your new purchase and think I may have seen the sax you bought,I remember seeing one on sale without a neck, if you give me the sales number and end time I would like to look at it,or maybe you can post some pics...bye for nowjohn;}

jonf

Very interesting. Just be sure you don't get anthrax from those pads!

Incidentally, I've done it again, again. Will post more in a few days when the next incomer arrives.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Pics - load them up to a web server and make a note of the URL. Then open a new post/reply. One of the icons above the message box is of a picture. Click on it, enter the URL...

OP
gladsaxisme

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Pics - load them up to a web server and make a note of the URL. Then open a new post/reply. One of the icons above the message box is of a picture. Click on it, enter the URL...
sorry kev thanks for the help but I don't know how to LOAD THEM UP TO A WEB SERVER I'm hopless at this pc stuff:confused:

OP
gladsaxisme

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi jonf

That's great I wish I could sort that but alas it's all a mystery to me,by the way where does the purpleparsnip come in to it.:welldone

PS Oh yes I'm still deciding what to do with the Paul Cavour tenor can't make up my mind wether to strip it or leave it as it is that finish must have been baked on, I tried nitromors on it and it didn't touch it at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonf

by the way where does the purpleparsnip come in to it.:welldone

Ha ha. It was originally from Blackadder, and I adopted it as my Photobucket user name. However, I think I am going to have to change it as my kids get older. It's a bit risque - I can just see my eldest telling me, totally straight faced that she had told her teacher that her dad's nickname is purpleparsnip.....

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Ha ha. It was originally from Blackadder, and I adopted it as my Photobucket user name. However, I think I am going to have to change it as my kids get older. It's a bit risque - I can just see my eldest telling me, totally straight faced that she had told her teacher that her dad's nickname is purpleparsnip.....

:))):))):)))

OP
gladsaxisme

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Sounds like fun. Will be interesting to hear who made it.
Hi Kev

Seems I'm probably wrong about the maker. Coutourier apparently had there own manufacturing business based in Chicago like Martin and this company was bought by Lyon and Healy in the 1920's and they are supposed to be very similar in construction to Martin saxes

But martin are also known to have produced horns for Lyon and Healy.Who knows maybe Cotourier was part of martin anyway

If anybody knows more about these companies I would love to hear it...john

ps the rebuild is coming on a treat it's cleaning up very nicely and there are hardly any dings in it at all though it has lost a guide post for one of the long keys I'm just hoping it plays with a nice Martin tone when finished

I would love to post some pictures but cant fathom it any help gratefully received (chris 98 where are you):(

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom