All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Oooh! New Sop Mouthpiece

Colin the Bear

DeadAudiolink Removed

Postman shoved a new metal mouthpiece through the letterbox today. Had to experiment with reeds. Moved from a vandoren blue 1.5 on the metalite M7 to a Rico orange 2.5 for this mouthpiece. I'm having to concentrate controlling the tone too much to let rip but I think it's coming.

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
DeadAudiolink Removed

Postman shoved a new metal mouthpiece through the letterbox today. Had to experiment with reeds. Moved from a vandoren blue 1.5 on the metalite M7 to a Rico orange 2.5 for this mouthpiece. I'm having to concentrate controlling the tone too much to let rip but I think it's coming.
Metal mp on soprano=long tones.Tame the beast.So what make is she.

MLoosemore

Deluded Senior Member...
I knew it.... all this stuff about getting the right mouthpiece is clearly rubbish.... It all depends on the person blowing it

Colin the Bear

I take it by that that you think it sounds ok? It feels right for me. Nobody said it has to be the most expensive in the shop or the most famous make. I've tried a Yam 4C a graftonite b5 a metalite M7 and something else I can't bring to mind. All of them were ok but after picking up a similar tenor piece I thought it might be worth a try. It's worth pursuing but the effort to make it play is distracting me from playing. However it's early days.

Mike

I think it sounds fine. You have a quick vibrato but that's just a personal thing
that hasn't anything to do with mouthpiece/reed setup. I think you have a real nice
articulation in how you bend and swoop. You have a lot of control for sure. Really nice!

In my opinion mouthpiece/reeds or even saxophones themselves have very little
to do with how a saxophone player is mentally setup and how they've personally conditioned
themselves in playing. I've always used a stock (no name) mouthpiece with a cheap Chinese horn.
My sound isn't great but I do know it won't change from a cheap Simba to a High end Selmer, etc. I've played many types of
horns in my time to empirically know this.
The only thing I do use, of some quality, is Vandoren Java reeds size 3. I always have.

I learned years ago not to get into the hype about setups, which seems that most
horn players inquire about. There isn't a magical formula, in my opinion.
It just takes work to establish a somewhat decent sound. Setups can enhance playing
by aspects of a particular horn's action and response, not overall sound.
Mouthpieces can make it easier to blow pertaining to various openings, etc. But the overal sound will always be there regardless of the setup. That's signature!

Nice of the mailman to give you this.....Possibly you were his 1 millionth delivery? lol.....

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
I see you now ridind off into the french sunset on your bike ,a bunch of onions round your neck.I've seen you have the hat also.Sounds very nice.First few bars the tuning atad funny but after that your the boss.Great french job Colin.Good buy there.

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
Lol @ Davey and the bike/onions but I can picture it too now after reading that post. Love the sound Colin - thanks for sharing :)

Colin the Bear

I'm one for playing something well known to compare the sound and flexibility and although I'm still finding my way with it, it gets better each time I blow it. Intonation is improving and control is coming.

I found a make on the box Delacole.

Made in Taiwan sold in America. http://www.pjlamusic.com/delacole.htm

It's much better quality than the other chinese mouthpiece I got for tenor. It has nicely polished low roll over baffle, leading to a nicely finished large chamber as compared to the cheapie tenor piece which has a roughly machined hole through the middle.

It also has an integrated bite plate that my initial enthusiasm hasn't marked despite playing with out a patch. The tenor has a rubber patch. They must be different makers.

I can recommend this piece.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom