SYOS

Oooh blimey! I've done it now!

RedBottom

My old band director has asked if I'd step in and play tenor at his 'new' band's concert next week. I've said yes, he's sent me the set list and I'm going to rehearse with them on Thursday. Much of it is stuff I've done with him in the past, or with my own band, and the grapevine talk is that his band isn't exactly gold medal standard (although I have no doubt they've improved considerably under his leadership). So why am I cacking myself over it? I know this stuff, I know him, I know how he works. If he didn't think I was up to it, he wouldn't have asked me to step in. I'm now worried in case I make an idiot of myself, yet I've done it countless times with my own band and it really doesn't bother me. Fear of the unknown, do you think? Or maybe because he's a good friend and I really don't want to let him down.

Mantras and chicken soup thoughts welcome. I'll even accept prayers. ;}

Saxlicker

Because its perfectly natural to feel the way you do.

Just push the feeling slightly to the side in favour of confidence and the two work really well together.
You know him, and the stuff well enough to allow your mind to do this.
Afterwards you'll feel great!
I'd say good luck but I don't think you need it. Enjoy it as much as you can would be more appropriate.

i agree with Saxlicker, dont let the fact that he's your friend make you doubt your ability, afterall he must think you can do it you'll be fine!

Taz

Busking Oracle
Yup, I'm going to agree with the other two. It's just the fact that you know the chap and don't want to look daft in front of him. Don't worry, I'm sure you wont! You know the tunes so just let the fingers flow, you'll be fine and have a ball to boot!

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
The factors you state sound plausible. More than likely fear of the unknown - new band, different unfamiliar faces. That coupled with the fact that the MD is a pal. He definitely would not have invited you if he wasn't certain of your capabilities to perform. Go for it - you will be great.

rudjarl

Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM
Just like the others have said. You'll be just fine. Besides, being a little nervous is just healthy. It makes you practice better and stay focused.
Good luck and happy playing :)

OP
R

RedBottom

Thanks for your support folks. Feeling a little more comfy with it now. A good omen, possibly, the new neotech over-the-shoulder sling arrived today - plenty of time to give it a run out.

I shall focus on the positive aspects - the MD is actually a pleasure to work with and since I haven't worked with him in over a year, I shall look forward to doing so again.

I'll report back after the gig.

Rock Lobster

I agree with everyone else, your feelings are just normal, however.........................if you need something to put things in perspective, any time you face a difficult challenge or a big problem ask yourself:

1. Where is this issue on a scale of 1 to 10, (10 being death)?
2. How important will this be in 6 months time?
3. Is my responce appropriate and effective?
4. How can I influence or improve the situation?
5. What can I learn from this?
6. What will I do differently faced with this next time?
7. What can I find that is positive in this situation?

So for number 7, the fact that you were asked is a compliment and you could be inspiring some of the lesser players.
This is from a guy called the SUMO Guy and is free on his home page so I think it will be ok to put it here. Just google SUMO Guy for more info.

OP
R

RedBottom

Well, I did it! The rehearsal was a bit nerve-wracking, especially since the regular tenor player was playing alongside me then (and of course, she knows all the pieces inside out). The gig was fine, though. Lots of pieces I was actually familiar with, even if only on other instruments), and had to sight-read a couple of them - not brilliantly but I think I played what mattered when it mattered.

On the whole, a most enjoyable afternoon (it was a carnival organised by the local Lions Club) and the band even made me pose for a group photo afterwards. Now they're trying to persuade me to join them - including the euphonium player who sat beside me, is a bit good and must have heard every mistake I made. Best was when the MD's (and my) old senior MD turned up in the crowd. We both walked out of her band at the same time last year for 'political' reasons and the look on her face when she saw me in Dave's band's uniform was a treat. I'm sure she must have thought we'd been plotting it all along. :-D

So once again, thanks for your support, folks. I did it and, like you said, it wasn't half as bad as I thought it might have been.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Yeahyyyy Well done mate, as for the euphonium player, I bet that you were the only person to hear your mistakes so don't dwell on them! You did it!

And as Kev said... :welldone:welldone:welldone:welldone:welldone

tengu01

Much as everyone else has said, he wouldn't be inviting you merely out of politeness. Some nerves keeps you sharp, so you don't coast in there on a wave of hubris.

Besides, once the first song or two is out of the way, you'll probably be feeling 100% better about things, more relaxed and ready to kick some a**

Good luck

OP
R

RedBottom

Just popping back for an update. The MD drafted me in again last week with a little over 24 hours' notice for his church's birthday concert alongside the village primary school (church-sponsored school). They greeted me like an old friend (in fact, one of the flautists was a fellow musician in our old band), I had a great time with them and I'm seriously thinking of joining them in a couple of months' time.

Not that I'm about to give up on my current band, mind. Just that this lot's repertoire leans more towards the 'military band' style (MD is an ex BSM, so natural, really), whereas I get a little more jazz and rock from my existing band, and I welcome the variety.

Thank you all v v much for your encouragement.

PS: If you're in the vicinity, 2nd Wind is at Fraser Noble Hall, Leicester on the evening of Wednesday 7th June. All welcome.

OP
R

RedBottom

June??? Quite sure??? You may have left the announcement a bit on the late side. :D
Doh! July, obviously.
I have a bad tooth right now and was doped up on penicillin, ibuprofen and god knows how much whisky when I typed that last night.:(

Top Bottom