Online shopping just ain't what it used to be

half diminished

Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing issues this year?

Have to say I am a big fan of buying online as I hate wandering around shops but in the last few week I have had some big issues:

• Amazon Market place seller - charged £8.95 for postage then failed to deliver for more than 10 days, then said order re-sent but still never arrived.
  • The Cooks Kitchen - said delivery shipped in 5-7 days (order placed 21st November!) Still not arrived then was promised delivery on Friday then again today. Nowt so far.
  • Amazon - order arrived but inadequately packaged and therefore damaged
  • Item costing $80 shipped from US that cost me an additional £31.50 to get it from Parcel Force - robbing bastards charged £13.50 for 'Clearing Customs'

And on top of that, the dogs have started destroying anything that comes through the letterbox when I am not working from home. Lazy buggers sleep all day and I don't see them at all. If they are left though they just take revenge! :(

jadoube

With one exception eveything I've ordered has arrived promptly and securely wrapped. Amazon have seems particularly swift this year.

I knew the exception was going to go bad when phoned to chase delivery and learned their web site had lost my order! Ordered by phone and when I chased that was told they had no order in their system - even though I knew they'd debited my plastic.

Turns out the small time rogues could not link orders the delivery address not the buyers address. To be fair it did arrive so I can't co,plain too much.

fishpond

There's a lot to be said for using your local independent shops if possible. Given sufficient notice they should be able to order items in time for xmas.(If you don't like shopping--try ringing them up)
Far easier to deal face to face if things go wrong, than to an anonymous voice over the telephone.

"Item costing $80 shipped from US that cost me an additional £31.50 to get it from Parcel Force - robbing bastards charged £13.50 for 'Clearing Customs'"
This charge came up in a posting of mine in "beginners", being charged $38.95 to ship a free cd from the States.

Can't help with the chewed up mail though, mine does the same.

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
It's disappointing when online shopping doesn't match the hype.

Living in such a remote area - it's the only way to go for me that's for sure. I paid the extra subscription cost for Amazon "Prime" here - free 2 day shipping - do they offer that to you?

A great girlfriend in Cornwall tells me horror stories about the charges she incurs when I send her a package and forget to mark "gift" on the customs sheet.

I believe Mr. Lucky is offering some great Christmas ideas via the internet as well ;}

Hope the rest of your packages arrive without incident and that the dogs stay away :)

OP
half diminished

half diminished

I paid the extra subscription cost for Amazon "Prime" here - free 2 day shipping - do they offer that to you?
They do but in Blighty it only applies to items bought from Amazon itself and not via Marketplace.

The only beef I have with Amazon is they don't always package things properly - I have had four or five books arrive damaged. A book arrived a few minutes ago. It was in the usual Amazon cardboard packaging but loose and I could hear it sliding about 'untethered' inside. Fortunately this one was undamaged. Others are not so lucky.

dooce

Never had any problem with Amazon at all. They proved embarrassingly efficient just today. I ordered a new TV on Saturday and gave my work as the delivery address thinking that it would arrive mid-week. Working from home today and I got a call from the office at 9:30, slightly irate because this huge parcel had arrived and I hadn't thought to tell anyone about it!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Seems to vary - Amzon are getting slacker with packaging - had to send a book and a Computer screen so far this year. To their credit sorting things out was relatively painless. And I buy a lot through them, Prime's been good and I use it a lot. We get next day delivery though...

Two other bad experiences have been a photo supplier who delivered, took the money by paypal, and a few weeks later I got a letter from a debt collection agency.... No contact with the seller between receiving/paying and the debt collectors. Fortunatly my wife speaks good German and was able to sort it out, but a real scare - they have a centralised credit blacklist here, and once you get yourself on there.....

And a UK supplier took an order for my wife's Xmas present last year. Then failed to deliver. Eventually got it, after about 3 months. But no apologies or concern. Same as the photo suppliers. Neither will get any more business from me.

Needless to say both

Top Bottom